SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car transmission delayed shifting?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car transmission delayed shifting? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I’m noticing the my car is not shifting into higher gears immediately. Rather it is maintaining a gear at higher rev for longer periods than typical. It’s shifting smoothly but just revving longer.

For example, I’ll start driving from a stop. It’ll shift as expected for the first few gears. But then will stay in a gear and just maintain 3000rpm for 10 seconds and then shift to the next gear. Normally it might shift after a few seconds.

I’m not really sure of the durations. Just for concept. The point is that when I would normally expect a gear shift, the transmission seems to hold a gear for longer than I’m used to and then shift. I’m not trying to speed up or accelerate.

Is something going bad?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12751 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Is it in "sport" mode?

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Type of vehicle? Miles?

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
The 1st step is checking transmission fluid level.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
The 1st step is checking transmission fluid level.

This. Also check the quality. Burnt smelling or really dark fluid can be symptoms of other issues.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17297 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Convention old school auto or dual clutch auto?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8996 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Year, make, model, odometer reading to make any kind of intelligent guess.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:

That takes all the fun out of the guessing game, no?

I'll go first. It's an early 2000s Lexus version of the Toyota Land Cruiser with 235,000 miles.

Posts: 11005 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
That takes all the fun out of the guessing game, no?

I'll go first. It's an early 2000s Lexus version of the Toyota Land Cruiser with 235,000 miles.
What color is it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30716 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Vacuum modulator, especially on his 1973 Ford Pinto.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
What color is it?

Starfire Pearl, or as we in Florida call it: the white one.

Posts: 11005 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's an issue with the Turbo Encabulator...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8947 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
It'll shift normally once you get over the hill. Razz

Posts: 1828 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
maybe the rubber band is getting worn?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10434 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1828 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
"Delayed engagement" could be any of a few different things.

As mentioned, first thing to check is the transmission fluid. If low, needs topping off. If old, needs changing.

A sticking shift solenoid might need replacing, especially if the problem is intermittent.

A clogged tranny filter can reduce hydraulic pressure.

A failing tranny pump can likewise reduce pressure.

Some internal component or seal is old and failing.

This could be early warning to a more serious and expensive repair job. If there's nothing obvious, best to have a pro do a diagnostic. Also don't gun the engine when it happens, could cause serious damage.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16382 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the fluid level and get back to us with the cars specs.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Is there any slack in the cable going from your Strombergs to the tranny? Are you leaving the choke pulled out for too long?

If it goes fine in reverse, the pump pressure, fluid, and filter shouldn't be an issue. My guess would be to clean and inspect the servos if you can.

Let us know what you find.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Level looks good and color looks good (still red).

Due for an oil change so I'll take it in have the shop take a look. It seems intermittent as well (no issues when driving today).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12751 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Ugh, you gotta hate the intermittent problems...I suppose you would have mentioned if a light was on, in which case they could pull the code at the shop.
This is what I do, cause I'm kind of a car nerd like this, but I change the a/t fluid every 25k miles. Now, I don't go thru all the trouble of draining torque converters or coolers, I figure the frequent changing of the fluid in tranny keeps it current. Every 50k, I drop pan and change filter too. I should mention, I don't drive but maybe 15k miles a year.