SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone here use an Apple AirTag to keep track of a pet?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone here use an Apple AirTag to keep track of a pet? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
We've got a house cat who gets supervised time outside. Every once in a while, she likes to take it on the arches and go on a little adventure. We have a large stand of trees behind our house, with very dense undergrowth, our own little forest. It's great because we have all manner of critters visit us: birds, squirrel, chipmunk, raccoons, rabbits, even a few deer. But, there are also poisonous snakes. We can't have kitty roaming around in there, as interesting as it may be for her.

Yes, we could have her chipped, but for reasons I won't go into, we'd rather not. Both the wife and I are iPhone users. Amazon has pages of collars for AirTags. The cat probably would venture no farther than about 50 yards out, although with animals, you never know.

Any experience with this?

Posts: 108618 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We put one on our nieces dog when we were dog sitting it for 4 days. It seemed to do a pretty good job of showing that he was in the fenced in back yard when we would put him out there. Fortunately didn't have to test it any further than that

Posts: 2021 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
We have two cats and two dogs. All of my animals are indoor pets except for my pups going into our fenced backyard to do their business.

“My” cat, Leo, got out of the house and was gone for seven and a half weeks a little over a year ago. We thought he was gone for good. We looked all over and were completely heartbroken. He’s park Maine coon and part rag doll with some Heinz 57. My buddy lives behind us and found him in his garage one morning. I got him back and never again taking any chances.

Posts: 3472 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
We have one for Pearl, our Yellow Lab.

Kathy gets notifications when we leave Pearl somewhere other than home. It does a pretty accurate job of identifying where we have left her.

I believe you can calibrate the notifications that suit you best.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36879 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
You realize that after a day the cat will be notified it's being tracked? You will be in trouble then! Unhappy kitty, more's the pity!

Posts: 18231 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
We moved with an outdoor cat. The trick per the experts was to only let him out when he was already hungry. Might be a good way to keep him from running off. Sorry I have no idea on the air tag.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5152 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
3 for $99: 100% recommend. Used twice to track down my Greyhound who WILL bolt at any given opportunity

Very accurate. I was running thru the neighborhood, phone in hand "Seeing" him cross from one backyard to the next until I could cut him off. You can zoom in/out and it even has a pointer like a compass and map / Satelite overlay. Away from home; If I pull my "Find my" and zoom in all the way I usually can see what corner of the house he is in. If you are within your own network you can track it down to the nearest inch (Like if you had one on your keys and they fell between the couch cushions) Big Brother / NSA factor aside; Amazing tech really.

Caveat: They "ping" off your wifi and other Apple devices. As I understand it ALL Apple devices contribute to the "Network", you cannot turn it off. AirTag position updates happen only when it is within Airdrop/bluetooth/wi-fi range of your wi-fi or any other Apple device and the Wi-Fi it is connected to.

Example: the second time he got out, by the time I had my shoes on he was 10 houses away (Greyhounds are ridiculously fast) he ran almost a mile and passed the last row of houses and into an area with no apparent "Service" It showed the date and time of his last location and a message "Unable to connect" or something like that. So did not disappear, just not updated... I found him ~100 meters past that house. If I didn't snatch him then and there and he kept going he would have popped up probably another 50 meters past that as he closed in on some older homes (Certainly one of them would have an Apple devise).

Posts: 522 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
We have a tag on Clark, on the unlikely prospect of his finding himself out of range of his mistress. However, I don't think they are appropriate for your (Para's) situation. They do not work on GPS directly, but on the location information derived from the closest iOS or WiFi device which themselves might be looking to known WiFI locations and/or GPS. So it isn't likely that the tag will notice the cat wandering into the forbidden zone.

There may well be third-party apps that allow some sort of geofencing alerts, but the bone-stock Apple stuff doesn't do this. Now if kitty were toting an iPhone or Apple watch, you might have more options. Similarly, setting up WiFi to cover the area of interest might be effectual. There are technologies like LoRa that are intended to provide this sort of functionality, but this is still very much a roll your own solution space. Kitty would be wearing a transmitter and battery around her neck with all the support/maintenance that this implies.

I expect a commercial easy-to-use product isn't too far off, but for now there is an integration component that puts this particular application out of reach for most folks.

Posts: 6650 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We just got one for our cat. She is totally indoors, actually has never even tried to get out.

She is a hider though and we will look all over for her, fear she has gotten out or into the garage (which she does try to sneak into).

I’ve got unused AirTags, figured what the heck. $10 buck for a collar (her old one was getting ratty anyway) and now she cannot escape us!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLP3ML1X

Kind of freaks her out when we have it play the sound. Doesn’t scare her, she just can’t figure out where it is coming from.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11107 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Last time I was getting my hair cut, my stylist showed me a pic of her Maine coon and mentioned it had an air tag. She showed me where it was in her house via the tag ( we were at the salon, at least 20 min away).
I think it would work in a populated area where there are many iusers.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5449 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My brother does. They make nice collar adapters. I do believe they'll work. The trade off is in the bulk on a petite animal.

Posts: 11422 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Air tags are great but have limitations. I put them in my luggage when I travel. Really good tracking. Also have one in me car in the off chance some thing ever happens.

You do need to understand their limitations. The work by using Bluetooth and connect to other apple devices(iPhones) to ping locations. In populated areas they are great because so many people have iPhones.

Never used one on a animal but I have thought about it. If you live in an area where the cat would be close to other people with iPhones your good to go. If is really rural results may not be what your looking for.

With that said with the cost of Airtags now it doesn't hurt.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16433 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
We puppy sit for a mini schnauzer who wears some type of air tag location devise... recently the puppy was at our house approx 12 miles from his home location...they decieded to check location even they knew where "bailey" was it took all most a 1 1/2 days to lock in puppy location..... drill sgt.

Posts: 2058 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Yes. We have the collar attachment device that has loops at each end, and the AirTag slips into the middle pocket. Having the heavy AirTag as a dog tag makes too much noise and the tag is subject to loss.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5171 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have air tags on both my dogs. I got the holders that put the tag flush with the collar and mount it inside against their fur/skin. I had one on a hanging holder and one that was mounted on the outside of collar and both fell off, but my dogs (GSD's) do roughhouse and grab eachother by the neck.
It was nice being able to keep track of them when we were on vacation and had a dog sitter at the house.

Posts: 356 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I don't but it makes sense. Just keep in mind their range is roughly 90' but the audible alarm should help find it.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7118 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably wouldn't work in the "forest" unless there was WIFI coverage from someones home nearby. If you could find an older Apple watch and adapt it to collar that would work on the Find My app but would need to be kept charged before sending the kitty out.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2925 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
We have use Tile on our inside cat for years. It has saved her twice - when we initially moved in she got herself stuck in a vent, would have taken forever to find her without it. Thinking about about changing to Airtag, but either way it is worth it.

Posts: 805 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've heard they work best in densely populated areas where there are lots of cell towers to give a more accurate fix on the position.

Posts: 9717 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are the issues with being in range of a network to track such as another iPhone but they work well, we ended up putting one on our basset, she used to just go out back and sit in the grass and sun but as she got older and dementia was setting in she'd wander off, not far but go to neighbors houses based on finding a scent.

Posts: 23962 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post