SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone here use an Apple AirTag to keep track of a pet?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone here use an Apple AirTag to keep track of a pet? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Bought some Samsung units for my Android but really haven't put them to the test.
Put on Keys, Dogs, my rifle bag and truck.
TBD

Posts: 23162 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Sister uses an Amazon Tile on her dog’s collar . I think her dog is currently on the third one in two years. Her Lab spends a lot of time swimming in the pond.

Posts: 27137 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Not really a story about pets, but more about the successfulness of tracking something down with an AirTag. My son “misplaced” his saxophone at a competition one weekend. He didn’t realize it wasn’t on the school’s equipment trailer until the next day. We were able to track down the saxophone to a car at a local sports facility. After getting LE involved, they found the kid in the sports facility that had “accidentally” picked up the saxophone case and had it in his car. He was also at the competition the night before and thought it was one of his friend’s instruments. $25 AirTag saved us couple $1000 having to replace his saxophone. No, his case was not labeled with his name or phone number. Yes, it is very much labeled now!

Chris

Posts: 1701 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There is an AirTag hidden in a SafePacker along with my P245. If I go into the Post Office or any other "forbidden" place, I leave the SafePacker locked in the car. I get an Apple notification, telling me that I have left it behind.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31302 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have them on both of my dogs and they work as long as there are people with Apple phones in the vicinity. On long Island they work great. I have noticed that in Upstate NY near Cayuga Lake, not as well. Less Iphone users to relay the signal. I have them in my backpacks as well. The more dense the population, the better they work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5934 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B52Wing
posted Hide Post
Just a cautionary tale.

We have 2 Golden Retrievers and put an AirTag on the collar of each one. The younger of the 2 (2 years old) somehow ripped the air tag off the older one while playing and swallowed it. She had it in her mouth and when I said drop it she swallowed it.

They contain coin batteries. I am not sure if it would be insulated enough to pass through without causing a problem but we didn't take any chances. I gave her a little hydrogen peroxide and she threw it and dinner up. We no longer have the air tags on them.

I know people who use them and I am sure it wouldn't be a problem with a cat but may be an issue with some dogs.

Posts: 133 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
My Mom put one in my Dads truck, I guess that counts as a pet.

Posts: 3741 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Saw an ad on Fox News this AM for a product called Tractive, they have GPS pet trackers, dog, cat, emu, whatever you have as long as it can wear a collar.

Weatherproof, GPS enabled so it doesn't have the restrictions of the apple air tag having to be near another device to transmit location.

It also provides health alerts, sleep time, and activity monitoring, no word if it counts the number of things your cat knocks off counters n such.

Link Tractive

Ad said 10% off on Amazon

Posts: 24113 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post