SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What’s the oldest cooler in your rotation?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s the oldest cooler in your rotation? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Oh crap, are we supposed to rotate them? Frown

Yes, just like the spare magazines rule.

One is none, two is one, etc. lol

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rotate mine often. I have five coolers of various sizes.
Grabbing whatever size I need. The rotation happens naturally.

To answer OP question...my oldest was made about 1990.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I might get a yeti or most likely an rtic cooler.

I did get an RTIC, when they were on sale, based on a thread here. It's awesome.
But... the cooler I use the most is a 1987 (they are stamped on the bottom) mid-size plastic Coleman. It fits on the floor behind the drivers seat and works great on trips. It's also lightweight and keeps things cold enough for a one-day float on the river.

Here it is as we are about to get on the water:

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I have that same design/vintage Coleman 16 for precisely the same reason: They fit pretty perfectly and secure in the floorboard between front and back seats.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well Y'all got me be beat on coolers. My oldest is maybe 12 years old or so.

However, I do have a Coleman gas lantern and gas 3 burner stove I purchased brand new in the summer of 1977 at my summer job in college at Montgomery Wards. I still have both and they still work very well. I can't believe that was 44 years ago.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a bunch of junky coolers, mainly a result of last-minute, low-cost purchases of my youth.

Now I've minimized the clutter to three coolers:

Orion 55- The big dog, keeps things cold/frozen for over a week, use it for camping trips
Coleman 45- This is the oldest circa 1993, Coleman's retro, metal belted cooler was reintroduced to the market, I jumped on it. Its now relegated to being the drink cooler since it doesn't come close to matching the Orion in insulation.
Ozark Trail- This tall-sided, zippered oval, sits perfectly behind the drivers seat of my Tundra. Serves as a insulated container for multi-stop grocery shopping, or picnic choice with its straps & handles. Easy to clean and use, although the zipper seals just crapped-out recently so.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cooler rotation?

I have a couple of of coolers. A small one and a bigger one. I "rotate" them according to what size I need.

As for oldest, who knows? I did have the metal Coleman my dad bought in about 1968, but it finally gave up the ghost four or five years ago.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Ever see them along side the road on the way to work? Its one of the best things, if not the only good thing about going in on Sunday mornings. Roads have no traffic, and others don't bother to stop. Its how my garage attic became full of junk coolers. Every size and shape is up there. I could open a museum of coolers. I do have a Yeti that I use to keep skimmed ice for ice balls for kids. I discovered its easier to grind it at home as opposed to carting along the shaver, the chunks of ice, and the generator.

Another of my crazy hobbies.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one from probably the early 80's made by Gott, it's a 50 quart and has held up very well for the amount of abuse it has incurred.

No high tech ones yet, but am considering. Also have a smaller Ozarks cooler that is much newer, but very handy.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a red metal Coleman that we bought when we got married, 1984.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
No rotation here I just have a couple I've had for years. Had this one since 1976, never saw the need to replace it. Lots of beer been thru this one.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
No rotation here I just have a couple I've had for years. Had this one since 1976, never saw the need to replace it. Lots of beer been thru this one.

She’s a beauty!

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daily lunch box is a little playmate from 1994. Besides a little wear it is still going strong.

Posts: 227 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
My everyday cooler only holds 9 qts of ice and conceals real nice I hardly know it's there. the next one is my 40 quart when it get hot out these seem to be the last ones left on the shelves so it's always nice to have one around. but my favorite is my 45 quart it keeps everything cool and packs a nice Hawaiian punch.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post