SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pilot nails sideways landing in 40-knot crosswinds at Bristol Airport
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pilot nails sideways landing in 40-knot crosswinds at Bristol Airport Login/Join 
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
The side load on the tires.....

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
My whole career of flying jets I only had one that was “just land it in a crab” and that was the T-38. You never touched the rudder in that thing except while taxiing.

Every airplane since then has been “Line it up, cross-control that thing and land on centerline with no crab.”

The MD-11 in particular was very unforgiving of any sideslip or crab on landing.

But....now I am on a Boeing again (777) and the official word from them is do whatever you want up to about 30 knots of crosswind. Meaning straighten it out, land in a crab, whatever, it’s all good. Above 30 knots they say do NOT try to straighten it all the way out. At some point those big motors are going to scrape the runway, and they designed the gear to withstand a full-on max limit crabbed landing.

Having said all that, in the situation in the video I know I would have put in SOME crosswind controls. Just not all of them.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I hit a landing like that at the OLD Pittsburgh airport during a snowstorm back in '78. It was unsettling.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8358 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’ve had bumpier landings on windless days- well done!

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15589 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Straightening it out, or transitioning side slip to forward slip, the kick-out method, can present problems with underslung engines on a swept wing; as little as five degrees bank can result in an engine or pod strike on the runway.

Boeing is currently promoting crabbed landings in strong crosswinds especially in certain types. In large aircraft, particularly in strong gusty crosswinds, aligning with the runway is a mass management issue that's not at all the same as landing a Cessna.

Well, I haven't had an issue straightening a plane out as I described in an MD-11, 747, or 767, all of which have underslung engines *shrug*. Nor have any of the folks I have chatted with in the past week after seeing this.

Now having said that, our limitations section does say that zero crab landings are not recommended above 30 kts crosswind. However no one in our discussions about that has taken it to mean you don't even try. I suppose others take that guidance differently.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I've been the passenger looking out the side window for one of those once coming into Rockford, Illinois on a small regional jet during a storm. I was 9 years old at the time and thought it was great fun. The landing didn't scare me as much as the sudden zero-G moments followed by being slammed into the seat as we flew the storm on approach. Crap was strewn all over that cabin.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Back before I became a complete chickenshit when it comes to flying, I came into Schiphol looking down the length of the runway from my mid-cabin seat. I found it amusing back then.

Now I would probably be tucked in a fetal position mumbling a mixture of prayer and profanity.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16189 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I recall that the main gear of the B-52 can be canted for such situations. Nice feature.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8966 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I was the only passenger on a flight from DFW to Lamar (CO) International Wink. It was a 19 place commuter-type plane, probably something like a Dash 8.

The pilot and co-pilot welcomed me to my “personal charter.” They flew with the cockpit door open and the three of us visited on the flight north to eastern Colorado.

There was a strong crosswind at the airport in Lamar. The plane was crabbing severely on approach. I’m looking through the cockpit door and out the windscreen seeing essentially the same thing the pilots were seeing.

The landing was uneventful. One moment the tail is 45* from the nose, the next, we’re down, then safely taxiing to the terminal.

Posts: 13270 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
The MD-11 in particular was very unforgiving of any sideslip or crab on landing.

Current MD-11 doctrine is land it in a crab.

quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:

Well, I haven't had an issue straightening a plane out as I described in an MD-11, 747, or 767, all of which have underslung engines *shrug*. Nor have any of the folks I have chatted with in the past week after seeing this.

Boeing recommends a crabbed landing in the 747.

Boeing also recommends the same in the MD-11.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I recall that the main gear of the B-52 can be canted for such situations. Nice feature.

Yep,

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate hangar talk

Posts: 152 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 104RFAST:
I hate hangar talk

ALT+F4

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43889 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Boeing recommends a crabbed landing in the 747.

Boeing also recommends the same in the MD-11.
Not sure where you are getting your information, so I am going to quote to you out of the actual Boeing 747 Flight Crew Training Manual revision June 30, 2018 that is part of our training documents.

"On dry runways, upon touchdown the airplane tracks toward the upwind edge of the runway while de-crabbing to align with the runway. Immediate upwind aileron is needed to ensure the wings remain level while rudder is needed to track the runway centerline. The greater the amount of crab at touchdown, the larger the lateral deviation from the point of touchdown. For this reason, touchdown in a crab only condition is not recommended when landing on a dry runway in strong crosswinds." (page 301) {emphasis mine}

Now again. It says "crab only". In a hellacious crosswind, you are going to land with some crab, that's a given. But you have to at least do a little bit of work to swing that nose around.

So. Given that revision of the document is 4 months old, I showed you mine, you show me yours.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Otto -- I tried to send email to the address in your profile. It bounced back. If you have an alternate address, please let me know, the address in my profile should reach me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30683 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Will do. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Current limitation for landing the B757/B767 for Big Purple is 30 knots with braking action good to medium. Sideslip only (zero crab) landings are not recommended with a crosswind component in excess of 28 knots for the B757 or 26 knots for the B767. The worry is that you will drag an engine with the sideslip required with crosswinds that strong.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Not sure where you are getting your information, so I am going to quote to you out of the actual Boeing 747 Flight Crew Training Manual revision June 30, 2018 that is part of our training documents.

I'm a former B747 captain, though currently not flying the type. I can absolutely assure you that the Boeing guidance, going back for several decades in type, has been that it's acceptable to land in a crab and far preferable in gusty conditions than playing mass management close to the ground by kicking out.

I'm looking at material forwarded by the Chief Pilot recently, from Boeing, regarding the MD-10/11, which begins, "This is specifically an MD-10/11 briefing. However, if the concepts are applicable, you can modify this briefing for other models. Boeing has changed the recommended crosswind landing technique for the MD-10/11 models. It is now acceptable to land in a sideslip (with zero drift) or in a crab, up to the maximum demonstrated crosswind. It is also acceptable to land in a combination sideslip and crab."

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post