SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eric Garner's activist daughter in coma after heart attack
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eric Garner's activist daughter in coma after heart attack Login/Join 
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

I dont think the guy should have died over cigarettes. Cops should have just took them away and walked on.

And tell what to the store that filed the complaint? as a business owner, you are out of luck? He loses sales while the untaxed cigarettes are sold? this was not his first time.

Meanwhile you think those taxes aren't important? what do you think helps pay for the medical bills to the uninsured and unemployed? For all the benefits the that very same guy relied on daily as he had no employment and six kids.

He was the father of six children, had three grandchildren, and at the time of his death had a 3-month-old child.

Garner had been arrested by the NYPD more than thirty times since 1980 on charges such as assault, resisting arrest, and grand larceny

For 2015, the most recent reporting year, the state lost $1.63 billion because of untaxed sales

Meanwhile, those city and state politicians were so outraged by this incident, what did they do???

quote:
De Blasio on Wednesday announced a package of proposed bills that would, among other things, raise the base price of a pack of cigarettes from $10.50 to $13, making New York home to the costliest cigarettes in the country. If the legislation passes, it would join an ongoing campaign by the city to get smokers to quit — a campaign that includes a series of jarring public service announcements that show people dealing with amputations, life with no voicebox, or the last stages of life due to cigarette damage..

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It always looks different when Monday morning quarterbacking - no stress, all the time in the world to consider what someone else who may have had an instant to decide “shoulda done,” oh, and don’t forget we have a different set of information than the guys who were there at the time. It may be more complete, it may be less complete (missing information), it may have been filtered beyond recognition by the LSM (Lame Stream Media).

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Please refresh my memory: As I recall, the guy didn’t die over cigarettes, he died after resisting arrest and fighting with the police—no?

And FWIW, this is the 21st century in the United States of America. The police don’t get to just “take” things from people. Seizing their personal property is supposed to be in accordance with the law and due process. Just “taking” is theft as a minimum, and probably a variety or two of official misconduct in addition. Yes, it still happens, but that doesn’t make it legal. “Yeah, the cops in this town shake people down and then sell the cigarettes themselves.” That was old-time law enforcement here.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Headed for that big ATM in the sky.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...ng-heart-attack.html

BTW, the caption under the photo on that page says "Erica Garner, the daughter of Eric Garner, died after she suffered 'mayor brain damage' from a heart attack."

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The people of NYC have been suffering under Mayor Brain Damage for years.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Really straying from the OP, but I keep hearing "untaxed". Wasn't he just reselling already taxed cigarettes (selling "loosies"), or were they really untaxed ones that came up from another state?

"the state lost $1.63 billion"

That's politician speak. The state didn't "lose" anything. Just like they're now crying about the money they will "lose" from people paying their property tax early. They're not "losing" anything, they're just not collecting late fees.
Fuck them, just for their twisted truth and language of lies, if for nothing else.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I guess Blacks Lives did not matter in this case.

The estate will try to pin this on police, no doubt Roll Eyes. And I did notice Sharpton getting in on the action. Haven't seen ya at the White House lately, Al. Whazzzup wit dat? Razz

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Really straying from the OP, but I keep hearing "untaxed". Wasn't he just reselling already taxed cigarettes (selling "loosies"), or were they really untaxed ones that came up from another state?

Most of the cigarettes are smuggled in from states such as Virgins. The state taxes are much lower the New York and New York City. Selling looses for seventy-five cents or two for a dollar is profitable.

Garner has been arrested at the spot twice before. However, the last time he was stopped he yelled and failed his arms. The police left him alone. This seems to have made him think that such behavior will work again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/0...d-staten-island.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04...region/05loosie.html

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yes.. but did they ever say if they were really non taxed "illegal" cigarettes or are they saying "untaxed" because he wasn't a retailer collecting tax.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP.

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
Did DeBlasio send flowers?

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
non taxed "illegal" cigarettes or are they saying "untaxed" because he wasn't a retailer collecting tax.

While all states have a state tax on cigarette of a few cents per pack to a dollar or two, NY City is currently at about $6.00 per pack because of the added city tax.

Another source of totally untaxed cigarettes is from the Indian Reservations upstate. UPS just got nailed for that.

quote:
United Parcel Service Inc. must pay $247 million to the state and city of New York for what a judge called the company’s "egregious and prolonged" failure to stop shipments of untaxed cigarettes from American Indian reservations that undermined anti-smoking efforts

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes.. but did they ever say if they were really non taxed "illegal" cigarettes or are they saying "untaxed" because he wasn't a retailer collecting tax.
I really fail to see the value of this conversation. Garner was a punk who had broken the law frequently, and in this particular case, punched his own ticket when he opted to resist arrest. Had he submitted to the arresting officers he'd likely be on a street corner selling 'loosies' or committing some other crime today. The City of New York settlement with the family was a travesty, thanks to a POS mayor and his race baiting administration.

And since ole sis apparently opted to put the settlement up her nose and punch herself out, I have zero sympathy for the entire Garner herd.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally postehttps://sigforum.com/groupee_common/ver1.3.7.2147483647/platform_images/blank.gifd by bigdeal:
quote:
quote:
I really fail to see the value of this conversation. Garner was a punk who had broken the law frequently, and in this particular case, punched his own ticket when he opted to resist arrest. Had he submitted to the arresting officers he'd likely be on a street corner selling 'loosies' or committing some other crime today. The City of New York settlement with the family was a travesty, thanks to a POS mayor and his race baiting administration.

And since ole sis apparently opted to put the settlement up her nose and punch herself out, I have zero sympathy for the entire Garner herd.

Makes sense. Sad, but not unexpected outcome.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post