SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If You’re Trying To Ban Guns, The Least You Can Do Is Learn The Basics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If You’re Trying To Ban Guns, The Least You Can Do Is Learn The Basics Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I like the term "modern assault weapons".

I like to ask people, "How would you feel if you were told you couldn't own modern automobiles... like the 1947 Packard."

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I like to ask people, "How would you feel if you were told you couldn't own modern automobiles... like the 1947 Packard."

Regarding the argument from antis that the founding fathers couldn't have possibly envisioned the existence of an AR or AK, I say that's complete bullshit. I think you could hand one of the founders one of those rifles and they would immediately grasp the improvements over say a musket, and recognize that it's still just a rifle.

However, I think they'd likely be totally aghast if I were to stand them in front of my big-screen TV, shown them hollywood horror, hollywood sex, hollywood violence, and then follow it up some hardcore FPS gaming, followed up with a nice tour of the most explicit, vile and poisonous videos the web has to offer... I think they'd be much more likely to want to repeal/rewrite the 1st Amendment than the 2nd after seeing what we've done with our "freedom of speech." (not that I'm in any way arguing for restrictions on the 1st)

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Like this gem?

Posts: 5750 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:

Regarding the argument from antis that the founding fathers couldn't have possibly envisioned the existence of an AR or AK, I say that's complete bullshit. I think you could hand one of the founders one of those rifles and they would immediately grasp the improvements over say a musket, and recognize that it's still just a rifle.

However, I think they'd likely be totally aghast if I were to stand them in front of my big-screen TV, shown them hollywood horror, hollywood sex, hollywood violence, and then follow it up some hardcore FPS gaming, followed up with a nice tour of the most explicit, vile and poisonous videos the web has to offer... I think they'd be much more likely to want to repeal/rewrite the 1st Amendment than the 2nd after seeing what we've done with our "freedom of speech." (not that I'm in any way arguing for restrictions on the 1st)

Scalia already disposed of the argument in District of Columbia v. Heller.

If you want to watch an anti's eyes glaze over, apply the same line to *gasp* Twitter or Facebook. The Founding Fathers never envisioned a type of publicly accessible media that could broadcast a message world-wide instantaneously. Does that mean one does not have 1st amendment rights unless using only voice or through ink or movable-type presses?

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:

Scalia already disposed of the argument in District of Columbia v. Heller.

If you want to watch an anti's eyes glaze over, apply the same line to *gasp* Twitter or Facebook. The Founding Fathers never envisioned a type of publicly accessible media that could broadcast a message world-wide instantaneously. Does that mean one does not have 1st amendment rights unless using only voice or through ink or movable-type presses?

I don't think these people are fond of the first either.

Posts: 625 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I like to play with them... "So you're saying if Washington and the continental army / militia had AR-15's available to them, they wouldn't have used them against the British? Big Grin

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
How about changing the nomenclature to SR-15 for Sporting Rifle? Then the other side can refer to them as "Scary Rifles".

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
next time your blood pressure get right around normal,
then google this ass hat
http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20170912-story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3yjKCYTyek

he'll make you angry enough to want to kick small children

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Years ago a journalist in the local rag reported on a shooting.
He/she apparently talked w/ cops about evidence at the scene because the resulting story proclaimed that two guns were used. A S&W pistol and the other, a full auto! in calibur .32.

It took me a couple seconds to realize the cops must have recovered casings in .40S&w and .32acp.
From that point on I've come to believe nothing I read in the news, no matter the subject.

Posts: 7378 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
The first thing I ask my liberal in-laws when they start talking about this issue is if they know what 'semi-auto' means. They of course do not, and do not care, but my point is always they should know what they are talking about if they are going to advocate a certain position.

you would be surprised at the number of 'gun people' that do not know what the AR in AR-15 means,

I wish this forum had a"like button" for posts like this.

Posts: 430 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
...a full auto!... .32acp.

Ah yes, the dreaded Automatic Clip Pistol.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
'course, you all know that "acp" stands for "Automatic Commando Pistol". Right! Right?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post