SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If You’re Trying To Ban Guns, The Least You Can Do Is Learn The Basics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If You’re Trying To Ban Guns, The Least You Can Do Is Learn The Basics Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
The Federalist
David Harsanyi
March 7, 2018

Can anyone imagine a major newspaper running an op-ed justifying public ignorance on public policy? Actually, not merely justifying the ignorance, but rather arguing that facts only help smother discourse rather than enhance it. It’s improbable. Then again, this is the gun debate. And one side benefits from policy illiteracy.

The Washington Post ran an op-ed by former Gawker writer Adam Weinstein arguing that Second Amendment advocates use “jargon” to bully gun-control supporters. “While debating the merits of various gun control proposals,” he contends, “Second Amendment enthusiasts often diminish, or outright dismiss their views if they use imprecise firearms terminology.”

How dare Second Amendment advocates expect that those passionately arguing to limit their constitutional rights might have some rudimentary knowledge of the devices they want to ban? To point out the constant glaring technical and policy “faux pas” of gun controllers is to engage in “gunsplaining,” a bad-faith argument akin to intimidation.

“If you don’t know what the ‘AR’ in AR-15 stands for, you don’t get to talk” explains the sarcastic subhead. If you don’t know what the “AR” in AR-15 stands you still get to talk. But if you want to ban or confiscate AR-15s and you haven’t taken the time to learn what the AR stands for, then gun owners have every right to call you out.

Weinstein bemoans the unfairness of gun controllers “being forced to sweat the finest taxonomic distinctions between our nation’s unlimited variety of lethal weapons.” This statement is illustrative of the emotionalism and hyperbole of the debate (the notion that there’s an “unlimited variety” of firearms is absurd) but also, at the same time, it’s an exaggeration of the Second Amendment advocate’s expectations.

Like with any contemporary disputes over public policy, there will always be those who attempt to dismiss opponents who possess less expertise. It’s certainly not unique to this debate. And no, simply because a person refers to a “bullet” rather than a “cartridge” or “clip” rather than a “magazine” should not mean exclusion from conversation.

Then again, much of gun-control policy is driven by the mechanics of a firearm. So while not knowing what a “barrel shroud” is should not prevent anyone from pondering gun policy (well, unless you’re a politician who goes on TV to advocate the banning of barrel shrouds without knowing what they are) but failing to understand the distinction between a semi-automatic and automatic weapon tells us you’re either dishonest, unserious or unprepared for the debate.

So, for instance, Michael Bloomberg.

In a debate imbued with emotion, gun-control advocates rely on this ignorance. When Barack Obama tells a crowd that a mass shooter used a “fully automatic weapon,” he’s not concerned with the finest taxonomic distinctions of a gun, he’s depending on the yawning obliviousness of a cheering crowd. When CNN featured an alleged gun expert explaining that the AR-15 he’s about to fire is “full semi-automatic,” he’s making the functionality of firearm sound scarier to those who are ignorant about guns.

“Jargon” are words and expressions that are difficult for a layman to understand or use. Rather than use jargon, Second Amendment advocates are usually mocking those who use jargon-y sounding words in efforts to fearmonger viewers and constituents. When you claim that the streets are rife with “high-capacity, rapid-fire magazines” or “jumbo clips” you’re trying to fool your audience with a veneer of expertise you don’t possess. When you claim that we need to ban “gas-assisted, receiver firearms” you’re trying to make a semi-automatic weapon sound like a machine gun for a reason.

It’s not always the mechanics, either. When Joe Scarborough misrepresents the Heller decision, he’s preying on policy ignorance that has little to do with gun culture. When Steve Schmidt goes on television and passionately tells an audience that it’s more difficult to buy cough medicine than an “AK-47 – or 50 of them,” he’s either lying or he has absolutely no grasp of how gun policy works. Either way, he shouldn’t be talking to grownups about firearms.

All these people use a moralistic fallacy, which is often predicated on the ignorance Weinstein rationalizes. Not that it stops him from embracing the an appeal to authority he condemns.

For example, Weinstein takes Fox News personality Tomi Lahren to task for failing to mention that “the family” of Eugene Stoner, the AR-15’s designer and champion, claimed in 2016 that the inventor would be “horrified and sickened to see his military rifle pattern become so common in civilian households and school shootings.” You’ll notice the conflation. Of course Stoner would be horrified that his gun was used in school shootings. But Weinstein fails to note that there’s no evidence anywhere on the record that Stoner was “horrified and sickened” by the notion of civilians owning his gun. Since he was selling proto AR-15s to civilians a decade before his military model was adopted by the United States, we have no reason to believe he would be

Perhaps that kind of discussion spurns conversation in favor of condescension. But at least it’s a debate that revolves around the veracity of facts. Which is a lot more I can say for the rest of the “gunsplaining” grievance.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The first thing I ask my liberal in-laws when they start talking about this issue is if they know what 'semi-auto' means. They of course do not, and do not care, but my point is always they should know what they are talking about if they are going to advocate a certain position.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Over the years Dennis Prager has repeatedly noted that the Left's positions are not based on any intellectual arguments and instead emotion and passion based...environmental policy, economic policy, social policy, and as this article rightly points out, Second Amendment policy.

The Left needs its base to remain ignorant of anything approaching fact, logic, or context and it has now embraced this ignorance to the point of declaring themselves "bullied" (uh ohhh, trigger word) rather than even attempting to educate themselves on public policy issues that include the wide-spread restrictions on Constitutionally recognized rights, to say nothing of practical solutions.

The Left embraces ignorance and the gun issue is just one more example of this.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
The first thing I ask my liberal in-laws when they start talking about this issue is if they know what 'semi-auto' means. They of course do not, and do not care, but my point is always they should know what they are talking about if they are going to advocate a certain position.

you would be surprised at the number of 'gun people' that do not know what the AR in AR-15 means,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
you would be surprised at the number of 'gun people' that do not know what the AR in AR-15 means,

Decades ago, as a younger man I was shooting with older and more experienced shooters who told me that it stood for 'Assault Rifle', a fact that I carried with me and occasionally repeated for years afterwards. It is only in the last 10 years or so that I learned that I had been misinformed.

This is one reason why I believe it is so important for gun owners to use correct terminology when discussing gun related issues, especially for those not knowledgeable about guns or shooting.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
would it not be in our collective best interests to keep them totally ignorant?

or feed them information that is incorrect so that we can make them appear even more unintelligent?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53236 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Damn right I'll gunsplain to people who don't know wtf they're talking about, if I bother to engage them at all on the topic. That being said, I won't be rude about it unless they direct rudeness at me.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
would it not be in our collective best interests to keep them totally ignorant?

or feed them information that is incorrect so that we can make them appear even more unintelligent?

My preference would be to win over those I could, or at least point out the solution is as simple as they think, and keep my credibility intact.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The local "driveway paper" had a letter that stated:"high powered military assault rifle" to refer to the AR-15. I'm sure if the author was called out she would snap "You know what I mean!"clearly she never heard "Garbage in, garbage out."

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

True. I have a friend that owns and shoots an AR-15 and one day we were talking about the left and gun rights when he made the comment that he wished AR didn't stand for assault rifle. I told him of course, that it didn't, that it stood for Armalite which was the first company to produce and market the rifle. He was pleased with that so that he could use it in future discussions.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I read the original article this morning. It smacked of the standard liberal superiority to where the author claimed to be an “avid shooter” and gun colllector. But he came off firmly like the guy who hates women but claims to “have a lot of female friends”.

When you have to write an article to explain away how you explain away your position, you have truly been contoured by your opponent.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Most of these clips (yes, clips) you've seen before, but here's the latest compilation. We got some gunsplainin' to do.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/IHLf5tWva78

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:

Decades ago, as a younger man I was shooting with older and more experienced shooters who told me that it stood for 'Assault Rifle', a fact that I carried with me and occasionally repeated for years afterwards. It is only in the last 10 years or so that I learned that I had been misinformed.

This is one reason why I believe it is so important for gun owners to use correct terminology when discussing gun related issues, especially for those not knowledgeable about guns or shooting.
Soooo, AK isn't a Russian acronym that also means Assault Rifle? I'll be damned? Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Soooo, AK isn't a Russian acronym that also means Assault Rifle? I'll be damned? Wink

A = Assault
K = Kalashnikov = rifle

Simple! Wink

Bonus Info: 47 = number of bullets fired per second from a jumbo clip magazine.

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Where can I buy those heat-seeking rounds? That sounds really cool!

(I thought incendiary meant something completely different than heat-seeking. I guess 'ya larn somethin' every day!')

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10716 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Maybe starting an explanation of AR=America's Rifle is a good idea....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12445 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Maybe starting an explanation of AR=America's Rifle is a good idea....

Or just "A Rifle".

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The other qualifier question to ask liberals egging for a 'discussion about firearms' is, if they know what a 4473 Form is, and what's on it.

If you don't know the basics, than how can we have a conversation?

Posts: 14694 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We are oppressed by the designs of a few evil individuals but more so by the ignorance of emotional masses.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I made this for another site, but it seems appropriate here.

If one wants to ban guns or features, shouldn't they at least know what the hell they're talking about?

Posts: 28009 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post