SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Total engine failure in a Cessna
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Total engine failure in a Cessna Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 17256 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I thought all Cessna pilots wear parachutes.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Holy shit! He was much calmer than I would have been. What would cause such an engine failure?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16248 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Like a boss.

Posts: 11363 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was some excellent flying. After seeing that engine I think a long talk with the mechanic is appropriate.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5660 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Calm under pressure & a pretty nice landing too.

The lady whose C150 i used for most of my training had an engine stop in flight in a rented C152, prior to buying the above 150.
Instructor response (his plane) "yeah that happens sometimes"

Eek

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15361 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The dude is quite the pro. But, the aircraft is 59 years old. Every time I took off I would wonder what was going to fail.
A pilot friend of mine once described his old Cessna as a motorcycle with wings.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16108 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Well done. Good piloting! Altitude is your friend!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Mechanical = New, breaking, or broken. And with airships, gravity ALWAYS wins.

He's very lucky it blew up with a nice VFR airport to glide into.

He did do a nice job. That's why we train for these types of things.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10910 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
At least it went with a decent bit of air under him and not when he was taking off.

Posts: 17900 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
"Alright Kev, Don't F*** this up, we do this..." Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8927 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Smooth as a baby’s backside!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10947 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about flying, but couldn't the tower have helped him out with more precise control of his descent? It looked like he barely made the runway, which was fine, but he didn't need the whole runway, so wouldn't he have been better off with a little more margin for error? Could the tower not see his altitude and rate of descent and tell him where and when to turn?

Posts: 3439 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Pretty sure the pilot was managing all of that on his own...And apparently executing with precision! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8927 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
WOW! Quite a skillful landing (controlled crash). This airport is about a mile and a half from my house. It was eerie watching this while being well familiar with the terrain below him. With only a couple audible sighs, he was quite composed. Great job.

BTW, what is the glide ratio of that aircraft?

Posts: 531 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Report high key.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Nice job of using all the available energy.

Posts: 53212 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The engine had almost no time on it and the rebuilder left a part off the crankshaft so it failed catastrophically when a counterweight came off.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34131 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^Pretty sure the pilot was managing all of that on his own...And apparently executing with precision! Wink

I'm not saying he didn't do a great job. My question is would the ideal not have been to land maybe a third down the runway, and could the tower have helped him do that more precisely?

Posts: 3439 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I don't know much about flying, but couldn't the tower have helped him out with more precise control of his descent? It looked like he barely made the runway, which was fine, but he didn't need the whole runway, so wouldn't he have been better off with a little more margin for error? Could the tower not see his altitude and rate of descent and tell him where and when to turn?

With engine out there is a specific airspeed for each specific model that gives you the best glide ratio and you trim for that speed. As far as the landing it looked like he put it right on the numbers to me. It would have been difficult to have done much better.

Posts: 11363 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post