SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Guys: Ford Flex - No Crank Issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Guys: Ford Flex - No Crank Issue Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like it's the ignition switch given your last post. Can you check the lead going to the start solenoid for voltage, when the key is turned and it's not cranking?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Update: Pulled codes, only a P0457: Evap Leak.
I don't believe this would cause a no crank issue like I have.

IMO, shouldn't cause a no crank issue. I misworded my OP. The starter is not engaging on turning the key. No crank is more accurate than no start.

My thinking at the moment, is starter relay or immobilizer relay. Only have 1 key, so not able to test if it's a key issue.

Swapped the relays for Wipers (55) & Run/Start (88) to test.
Also swapped Trailer Tow Battery Charge (12) and Starter (13).
Confirmed they were the same part numbers before swapping the relays.

Issue happened today, wife could not get it to crank. I drove to her office & got it to start.
Turned key to 'On', waited a moment, turn to start, no crank. Let key return to 'On', and repeated turn to start 6-10 times before the starter engaged.

Is there an immobilizer relay/fuse? I don't see it listed in the manual diagram.

No change with the relay swaps.
Only consistent factor is the car sitting in the Houston heat all day with a >100* heat index.
Issue didn't present when my wife had a parking garage to park in at her old job.

Shifting to N has no effect, same with 'jiggling' the key in the ignition.

Thinking maybe ignition switch at this point, though not sure why that would be heat affected.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
If it’s not too expensive to have a new key made for the car I would try that before shooting the parts cannon at it. You should always have two keys for every vehicle anyways.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
If it’s not too expensive to have a new key made for the car I would try that before shooting the parts cannon at it. You should always have two keys for every vehicle anyways.

Good point & something I do need to get done. We've had it for nearly 4 years & have gotten lucky with only having 1 key.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Update of sorts. My dad (30yrs in dealer svc) found an Edge forum & a thread with almost identical symptoms. Resolution was replacing the ignition switch, which was my first guess at the problem.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Update of sorts. My dad (30yrs in dealer svc) found an Edge forum & a thread with almost identical symptoms. Resolution was replacing the ignition switch, which was my first guess at the problem.

Well, look at the bright side. A new ignition switch comes with 2 keys! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Well, look at the bright side. A new ignition switch comes with 2 keys! Big Grin

Negative. Not the keyed part of the ignition, the electrical bit behind the ignition cylinder.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Partial update.
Replaced the ignition switch (and the unrelated evap valve).
$80 in parts & 20 minutes of labor.

Will see this week if it resolved the issue.