SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CA 7-11 Across Street From PD Handles Robber Themselves
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CA 7-11 Across Street From PD Handles Robber Themselves Login/Join 
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

One can joke about beating the guy into a thin red paste (and I wouldn’t argue the world wouldn’t be a better place if that were legal), but that isn’t legal and would not go well at all for the individual administering the “correction”.

But here’s the problem. No, beating a thief isn’t legal but what other recourse does a the shopkeeper have in this environment? Listen to the guy recording as he says there’s nothing you can do…don’t you have insurance then eventually cheers on the shop keeper as he decides he’s not having it and brings the beat down.

People want justice and when they know they won’t find it in The System at some point they make their own. So, vigilantism is inevitable when the authorities can’t or won’t maintain order and whether or not the owner has the book thrown at him these events are likely to become more common as people get more frustrated and desperate. However this goes I bet the next guy picks a different store.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He'll think twice about coming back.

Sad that immigrants do the right thing while others just let it happen.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
So, why waste their time.

Hmmm... because it's their job? To "protect and serve". Protect these poor guys lives and livelihoods, even if just temporarily.

I'm not saying someone shouldn't show up to help these guys, but the reality is that unless someone is getting shot or murdered it is going to take the cops a long time to show up because there is too much violent crime that has to be responded to first and simply not enough cops. Trust me when I say Stockton PD isn't sitting in their station just waiting to go to calls.

This is the utopian hell hole that Jerry and Gavin and their cronies have created in California. Coming to a state near you if that asshole ends up in the White House.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Stockton Police Department is investigating.

Hope the Sikhs skate.

Link

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Stockton Police Department is investigating.

Hope the Sikhs skate.

Link
Could they claim it's part of their religiton to beat up thieves? Wink

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Self defense. Shoplifter had a knife in the back right pocket.
Probably not a valid defense in CA

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Self-defense, the shoplifter had claimed a gun 3x in 2 days.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Note to Shopkeepers:

If you have a video surveillance system, and you beat the living shit, decide to protect yourself, from a robber with a pole/stick,

A) don't call the cops - toss him in the back alley preferably away from your place of business and where nobody would look for him and have a system failure on the security tape where the recording for that time disappears.. or,

B) If you call the cops - have a security tape error so the video doesn't exist, so it won't become public record once submitted to law enforcement doesn't become internet lore and go viral resulting in your potential arrest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another article - appears that the incidents at this store weren't high enough to dispatch as other more violent things were happening elsewhere. This article indicates that the store is ACROSS the street from PD.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...a61f982ad61d70&ei=10

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update: DA's office says clerks not likely to be charged.

https://www.kcra.com/article/s...a-indicates/44766736

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Here in good ol'UK we've found that a one-pound can of mixed vegetables, or even sliced peaches, applied tangentially from arm's length, has a very high success rate in calming down store thieves.

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Cling peaches, in 'heavy syrup'! Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that 7-11 will fire both of those fellows. I have already written to 7-11 saying that it would be a bad idea to do so because they will then lose business (including mine).
For the time being, that particular 7-11 is probably the safest in the area!! Big Grin

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

One can joke about beating the guy into a thin red paste (and I wouldn’t argue the world wouldn’t be a better place if that were legal), but that isn’t legal and would not go well at all for the individual administering the “correction”.

But here’s the problem. No, beating a thief isn’t legal but what other recourse does a the shopkeeper have in this environment? Listen to the guy recording as he says there’s nothing you can do…don’t you have insurance then eventually cheers on the shop keeper as he decides he’s not having it and brings the beat down.

People want justice and when they know they won’t find it in The System at some point they make their own. So, vigilantism is inevitable when the authorities can’t or won’t maintain order and whether or not the owner has the book thrown at him these events are likely to become more common as people get more frustrated and desperate. However this goes I bet the next guy picks a different store.
I either wasn’t clear or there isn’t enough context in the part quoted above.

Had the shopkeepers used baseball bats or pipes and put the guy in the hospital or the morgue it is hard to imagine that they would not have been charged. As it was with the only lasting damage to the dirtbag being any dignity he might have had, they may well skate. Let’s face it, most folks viewing that video probably think the jerk got off too easy.

I support the shopkeepers and hope that they did indeed thread the needle and avoid legal consequences for their actions.

To sgalczyn’s point, they should probably be prepared to smoke check the dirtbag if he comes back with a gun, but permanently solving his recidivism problem over whatever he was trying to steal would not have ended well for them.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ He danced all around and a little over the line. Once confirmed he wasn't armed and needed help out the store that should have been the last strike. First time in the store, let him take his lumps and hobble away. Second plus time hold his ass until the police show up and arrest his ass so the DA can drop the charges the next week, at least he's uncomfortable as hell in jail overnight about all the punishment he'll ever receive for his actions.

I do think they crossed the line, still had one foot tenuously on the other side of the line. While my primal thoughts say teach him a lesson he'll never forget, we are a society of laws and he's lucky living where he does, that he was not charged.

All in all the right amount of Fuck Around and Find Out and prosecutorial discretion. The poor guy(s) have no chance of keeping their job(s).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once confirmed he wasn't armed

I'm pretty sure I saw him pull a knife (or similar) out of his back right pocket towards the beginning.

quote:
First time in the store, let him take his lumps and hobble away. Second plus time hold his ass until the police show up and arrest his ass so the DA can drop the charges the next week, at least he's uncomfortable as hell in jail overnight about all the punishment he'll ever receive for his actions.

I believe that I read that this guy had done this exact same thing in that store several times in a row.

quote:
we are a society of laws and he's lucky living where he does, that he was not charged.

We do indeed have laws, but they certainly are not applied equally (if at all).

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
The poor guy(s) have no chance of keeping their job(s).

I would wager at least one of those men if he's not the store owner, he's related to him.
The next question does 7-11 pull the franchise license? Would 7-11 be so scared of the scent of litigation by those 'special interest groups' that they'd sacrifice one of its franchise operators?

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The pair of 7-Eleven employees in California who recently thrashed and held down a suspect in their store are not in danger of facing charges.

The workers took matters into their own hands when a man allegedly tried to steal cigarettes from behind the counter, Fox 11 reported Wednesday.

However, the San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Office said Tuesday the employees were not in trouble.

In a statement, District Attorney Ron Freitas said, “The Stockton 7-11 Store Clerks are not & have never been, suspects of the San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Office.”

“Any Investigation going forward is to hold accountable the individual who threatened & attempted to rob them. We will have more information as it becomes available,” Freitas continued.

Social media users were quick to offer their thoughts on the announcement, one person writing, “Good to hear. The public has spoken and they approve of the clerk’s actions. The public is tired of these criminals encouraged by lenient prosecution.”

“Let’s keep it that way. The Sikh gentlemen that stopped this (probably career) criminal need an award. We are all sick of these crimes and the emboldened low life’s threatening the livelihood of retail owners,” another user replied.

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...ded-would-be-robber/

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t put me on the jury. I don’t give a shit if they went a bit too far. Who cares? Justice isn’t punishing those guys, that’s a travesty of Justice. He lived, he got the shit kicked out of him, he didn’t clean up his mess, and the motherfucker had the gall to ask for a free soda. Fuck that guy.

Posts: 7499 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
As a California resident, I believe that beating should have continued until the cops showed up to take him into custody. We are just way too soft on crime here and the fact that anyone could have opposition to how this was handled only furthers the pussification.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post