SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gorsuch hearing
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gorsuch hearing Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They aren't really theatrics. Them's the rules. And the rules make sure everything is done properly and not like in Idi Amin's Uganda.

Ah, but the rules are always obscure enough that not every person in the street understands them. That, in turn, means that following the rules provides the Dems with an opportunity to engage in theatrics, and, well, what else have they got at this point except theatrics?

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
McConell did what I didn't think they had the balls to do. Going to have a nice Lagavulin tonight to celebrate.

Lagavulin is awesome.
I don't have any Lagavulin in the house but I may join you with a MaCallan.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24609 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Folks I am here to eat a big helping of crow.

I was wrong. I am happy to be wrong by the way. McConell did what I didn't think they had the balls to do. Going to have a nice Lagavulin tonight to celebrate.

A great many people have been mistaken about these men.

They refrain from wasting time futilely, going through the motions for no possibility of result, not from a lack of courage, or understanding but rather because they understand rules, strive to abide by them, understand why they are as they are, respect as best they can the adversaries, and are men and women of principles.

They have to listen to criticism that they have no guts, no standards, no fight, unpatriotic. Just like Sam Houston, they understand there is a time to have a fight when you have an advantage and until you do, it is foolish and wasteful. It starts with the lesson below from Professor Lyndon B. Johnson.

Those who do not acquaint themselves with the procedures and tactics of legislation really ought to bitch and moan and criticize less and try to learn more.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Those who do not acquaint themselves with the procedures and tactics of legislation really ought to bitch and moan and criticize less and try to learn more.

Yeah, but when you get your information from Mother Jones or Rush Limbaugh, those fine points are lost

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53243 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mother Jones or Rush Limbaugh

The two are by no means equivalent. Rush comes from a good family of lawyers and knows much about the fine points of procedure and political tactics.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24609 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Suck it, you crybaby Democrats.

Posts: 34579 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
CSPAN reports the Gorsuch confirmation vote will take place 11:30am ET tomorrow.

Previously it was assumed the DEMs would demand the full 30 hours after the cloture vote.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
With the filibuster gone, I guess they just don't see the point?

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11224 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
With the filibuster gone, I guess they just don't see the point?
They want their recess early. Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Happy Merrick Garland Day!! Big Grin Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I am upset about this nuke option being deployed.

Upset that it wasn't done sooner. Get this show on the road. There important cases to be heard, not the least of which is a certain EO case.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Finally, the Republicans have returned the Dems' multiple kicks to the groin with one of their own. Marquess of Queensberry rules don't work in a street fight.

Posts: 8903 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
Finally, the Republicans have returned the Dems' multiple kicks to the groin with one of their own. Marquess of Queensberry rules don't work in a street fight.

They shend one of yours to the hoshpital, you shend one of theirs to the morgue. That's the Chicago way. Now...what are you prepared to do?

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

-rduckwor

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

They shend one of yours to the hoshpital, you shend one of theirs to the morgue. That's the Chicago way. Now...what are you prepared to do?
I love that line. Connery was most excellent.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:

That's rich!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53243 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Thumbs up, Mitch!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Here we go!

voting now to confirm.

Mike Pence chairing

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post