SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walnut trees how to sell the wood
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walnut trees how to sell the wood Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Are you on Facebook?

Jeff Weldon, he lives in Maple Shade, NJ. You can find him on Facebook Marketplace.

Friend of mine used him for his walnut and cherry trees. Guy came to his house with a portable mill on a trailer and milled it all in his yard.

My friend sold some of the milled pieces on FB marketplace and used the rest to make a big ass table.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skins - you need to find a local sawmill. Tell him what you have, he may cut it or certainly know someone who can. Expect he can also have some opinion on value.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Worst case Smokin wood too. Call a BBQ place.

Ask on any smoking forum.
Walnut is no good for that, imparts a bitter taste.

Good to know! A quick google said otherwise, thats why i love this place!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Worst case Smokin wood too. Call a BBQ place.

Ask on any smoking forum.
Walnut is no good for that, imparts a bitter taste.

Yeah, but Northerners love using it for smoking meat......but what do they know about BBQ? They drench it in Tom's BBQ sauce when they're done smoking it!

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Skins - you need to find a local sawmill. Tell him what you have, he may cut it or certainly know someone who can. Expect he can also have some opinion on value.

I just want it gone. I've paid a lot of money to have it pruned and there's two more dead branches. If I get those taken out I'll be more into the tree than it would have cost to remove it originally, plus it will need major reshaping after removing them.

It's a Red Oak I believe. I'd like to save it, but I think it's dying very slowly. I rather it end up as someone's floor or desk instead of in a landfill. The thing is huge. Could easily get 20' plus boards out of it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21145 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Red Oak isn’t all that valuable. If you have a large stand of trees, collectively they have commercial value to a logger, but a single tree is more valuable as firewood. A large Cherry, Walnut, or burly Maple is vastly different from even a big Red Oak.

You might try and source someone that will professionally bring it down (licensed and insured) for the wood, but at least locally in the eastern panhandle of WV, they don’t exist. Before the Emerald Ash borer killed them all off, loggers used to knock on doors offering cash for living Ash trees. No one ever asked about the Oaks- too many multi-acre logging operations to bother.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I have a giant very straight 3' plus diameter oak tree I'd love to sell if I knew how. Anyone know who Id contact?

Jesse, where is this tree standing? In a spot where it can fall without damaging anything else when it is cut? How about getting it hauled away after it is cut?

I ask because I am currently in the process of removing a HUGE oak tree that came down after all the rain and a big wind. 78 inches around at the base. Now way to move it to where it can be used for anything other than firewood.

if it could be cut into 8-10 foot lengths and hauled away you might find someone to do it. They might even pay you something for the log/lumber.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most tree buying companies will not buy them if they are in a yard.

If they did, they only pay for the length from a certain distance above the ground, to the first limb. So, if your first limb is close to the ground, you will not get much if anything.

Also as above stated mills have to start out with at least a piece (around here), 9ft long or longer.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Damn, too bad. Just measured it 3' round, 16'+ to first branch and another 8' until it branches off to smaller size.

Buddy price to remove it or trim it back again is $1,600-1,800 depending on how busy he is. Plus stump grinding. I'm already $1,600 into it for two attempts to prune dead stuff. He takes it all to the dump, doesn't even sell the wood.

Anyone able to make a guess from a picture if it can be saved? I prefer to save if possible, but don't want to waste another $2k.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21145 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My educated guess it that it is best to have it removed. After it is removed and the stump ground plant another tree. I lost a lot of trees 13 years ago due to Katrina. I had a large water oak land on my house. After the tree was removed and the stump ground I planted a Bald Cypress sapling on Arbor Day. That tree is now over thirty feet tall.

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Which way does that bad boy lean? Can you tell?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Wish I lived closer to you. Look up the local Wood Turning club. I am sure there are many people that would be happy to help with wood that size. They might buy it.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Perfectly straight first 18-20' then less than 10° south for next 8' or so.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Perfectly straight first 18-20' then less than 10° south for next 8' or so.

I guess I’m asking if it leans away from the house- if it does, I’ll come drop it and take the wood. You just deal with the small limbs and stump.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not a one man job. Requires climber and ropes. Canopy over hangs my shed and neighbors deck. Top needs to be brought down limb by limb. Top half is pitched very slightly towards my house. If I do decide to take it down, the wood is yours though.

Firewood or timbers?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a one man job. Requires climber and ropes. Canopy over hangs my shed and neighbors deck. Top needs to be brought down limb by limb. Top half is pitched very slightly towards my house. If I do decide to take it down, the wood is yours though.

Firewood or timbers?

Firewood- 18” rounds are perfect- I’d be happy to come down and cut it up, or help...

posted Hide Post
that close to that house,
lic. bonded and insured
will be the way to go

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nails and/or other metal in yard trees cause great problems for sawmills. Metal can take out teeth and teeth are expensive. They may be able to check the logs with a metal detector. Lumber requires about a year per inch for drying. The lumber might be very valuable to hobbyists and/or carvers, furniture makers. Good Luck. The tap root of the tree can have some very nice wood in it. There are company who will dig up the tap root for lumber.

Posts: 267 | Registered: January 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post