SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walnut trees how to sell the wood
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walnut trees how to sell the wood Login/Join 
posted
I have 3 walnut trees growing in my backyard and my original intent was to just cut them down for firewood. A buddy told me walnut trees are worth money but didnt know how to go about selling them. So my question is are they really worth money and if so how do i go about selling the wood? I live in PA near Philadelphia. This board has always provided excellent advise so I'm looking forward to your answers.

Posts: 1725 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are going to have to find a small specialty mill to help you market it.
If you'll google hardwood sawmill in PA you'll find several near you.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Go to a specialty lumber yard and price it.
Many steps to get it to that stage though.

Posts: 22421 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
There's a specialty niche in guitar making that favors walnut. Perhaps contact some of the guitar manufacturers?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Most sawmills have a specific length (12'6"), that they require for processing.

A few years ago, an oak tree fell in the woods on my property, the tree was high enough quality, it would have been used as vemeer. 5-12'6" logs brought $400. I paid the neighbor who loaded and hauled it to the lumber yard half of that $400.

However, the black walnut tress are not as desirable as to other walnut trees.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should also be large (diameter) in order to make the yield of heartwood sufficient to make the sawmill’s efforts worthwhile, but even then you’re likely to find a reluctance to pay for trees that didn’t come from a forest due to the fact that backyard wood frequently has nails and other debris embedded that destroys expensive saw blades. Good luck.

Posts: 1224 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
There’s a guy in our area, I think he’s right over in NJ. He will come a bring a saw mill for it.

My buddy used him and was happy. I’ll try and find his info.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Worst case Smokin wood too. Call a BBQ place.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check to see how the debris, limbs etc. is handled, you or the tree buyer?
Who handles the stump, you or the tree buyer?
What equipment used, ruts, who handled you or the buyer?
Access, fence removal,etc?
If you on any item, do-it-yourself, hire it out, rent equipment, or your time, adds cost to you.

Jim

Posts: 1354 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Trees below a certain diameter are not as profitable as big ones- how large are we talking?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Trees below a certain diameter are not as profitable as big ones- how large are we talking?

The largest tree is about 12 inches in diameter and the other 2 about 8-10 inches.

Posts: 1725 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Worst case Smokin wood too. Call a BBQ place.

Ask on any smoking forum.
Walnut is no good for that, imparts a bitter taste.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between black walnut and English (?) walnut. Black walnut can be valuable, the other kind not so much.

12 inch diameter does not leave all that much usable wood after all the bark, etc, is removed.

You might check with wood turners in your area, you might find one who would pay something for the tree.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:

The largest tree is about 12 inches in diameter and the other 2 about 8-10 inches.

Not any lumber in that.
Firewood would be the best use.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:

Not any lumber in that.
Firewood would be the best use.

Agreed. Not even suitable for cabinet or bowl (kitchen) wood.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
My in-laws had a couple of old HUGE walnut trees on their farm and called someone to come out and give them a quote. They got tens of thousands of dollars for a couple of tree

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being in PA, there are the Amish that will come out and take those trees if there are ANY value to them. I don’t have any links or contacts but a family friend did just this (in Michigan) for a substantially larger walnut tree, paid him in cash, cleaned up the area. It was a one day deal. Just do some internet research.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have a giant very straight 3' plus diameter oak tree I'd love to sell if I knew how. Anyone know who Id contact?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I have a giant very straight 3' plus diameter oak tree I'd love to sell if I knew how. Anyone know who Id contact?

What kind of oak? Some are worth more than others.

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
https://woodmizer.com/us/Services/Find-a-Local-Sawyer

You can use this link to try and find local sawyers you can work with. They can help with such endeavors.

One of my local sawyers does a lot of redwood slabs. He charges a $100 an hour to process logs if I’m keeping the product.

Posts: 6459 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post