SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Mac Salad recipe. You're welcome!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Mac Salad recipe. You're welcome! Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
My mac salad is always a hit. It gets cleaned out on block parties and my wife can't stop eating it, even when she knows she should be having a Cesar salad. As gratitude for the help y'all have given me in my quest to cook the perfect fried chicken, I present to you benny6's mac salad.

Ingredients (Makes enough for 8 to 10 people:
-One box of Ditalini pasta, or Rotini pasta
-olive oil
-4 hard boiled eggs, shelled, diced
-6 celery stalks, rinsed, chopped into small pieces
-3 large carrots or 5 medium sized carrots, peeled with a potato peeler, chopped into small pieces
-1/2 jar of sweet relish
-1 can of black olive, chopped
-Kosher salt
-Black Pepper (I use a pepper mill)
-Mustard
-Mayo (I use Best Foods olive oil mayo)

Fill a large stew pot with hot tap water. Turn the stove to high, add a few swirls of olive oil. Add about 2 or 3 pinches of salt. Boil the pasta until it's al-dente. Strain the pasta into a large strainer or colander. Rinse it with cold water until all the pasta is cold. Let it drain for 5 or 10 minutes.

Find the largest salad bowl or mixing bowl you have and pour in the pasta.

Add all the chopped veggies, eggs, relish, a couple of pinches of kosher salt and about 5 or 10 turns of the pepper mill. Add about a half of a large jar of mayo and a few squirts of mustard. Mix thoroughly. Add enough mayo and mustard to lightly coat every bit of pasta. You don't want it too dry or too creamy. Taste-test and add salt, pepper, mayo or mustard to your liking. You'll get the hang of it.

Although this is not a pic of my mac salad, it should look a lot like this...

It should have a slight yellow tint to it.

Enjoy!
Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5407 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Looks delicious!

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds delicious except for the sweet pickles, I have a dislike for them.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Looks good!

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5045 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it better the second day ,after a night in the fridge ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54656 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Just killed it on the third day! Wink

Posts: 5407 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Looks like a solid recipe and I love mac salads. Looks like there's a lot of room to riff on the recipe. I could see some red pepper added maybe some popcorn shrimp for a little protein.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Looks good!

For those that don’t know, Best Foods is the Hellman's brand west of the Rockies, or at least here in CA.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! I'll be making this tomorrow!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Looks great.

I have a very similar recipe, but I use chopped bacon, and the only veggies are onions, green onions, and green bell pepper.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just like my wife makes with the exception of the 6 stalks of celery, carrots and the sweet pickle relish. I prefer 2-3 dill pickles (depending on size), 2 stalks of celery and 1/2 of an onion. She also will add radishes at times. She also uses mayo with just a touch of mustard and tops the dish with paprika.

Occasionally she’ll make the macaroni salad and add a can of tuna or chicken to add another layer of flavor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig Marine,

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Fantastic! I'll be making this tomorrow!

Did you ever make this? How did it turn out?

Tony.

I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
you had me at...

...no onions, green onions, chives, etc.

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My favorite Mac salad is very simple... and one that I've never seen anyone else make, yet it's a hit at the summer potluck dinners.

1 box of elbow macaroni
2 cans tiny shrimp, drained
5-6 stalks celery, cut to 1/4 inch slices
6-7 radishes, cut in half, sliced thin
3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise

It's a very light side dish perfect for burgers, dogs, or chicken... easy to make and surprisingly flavorful (if you like shrimp, that is).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
My favorite Mac salad is very simple... and one that I've never seen anyone else make, yet it's a hit at the summer potluck dinners.

1 box of elbow macaroni
2 cans tiny shrimp, drained
5-6 stalks celery, cut to 1/4 inch slices
6-7 radishes, cut in half, sliced thin
3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise

It's a very light side dish perfect for burgers, dogs, or chicken... easy to make and surprisingly flavorful (if you like shrimp, that is).

Another winner. And indeed never heard of shrimp in this type of salad.

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post