SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Costco magazine article on plantar fasciiitis
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Costco magazine article on plantar fasciiitis Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I am recovering from a bout of this. Probably had for six months. Got so bad I could hardly walk when getting up in the morning. I have had maybe three episodes of it. It hurt like hell. Pretty much debilitating. Finally saw a foot doc. Confirmed and gave me a shot. That helped. I am about 75% better and am so glad. It made doing anything really rough. Very little barefoot for me from now on. Doing the stretching. The article has some good info in it. If you have it I wish you the best in getting over it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19767 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I had it bad. For more than a month, I did the following daily:

1. green ball: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. warm and ice soaks (ice soaks - 20-30 minutes, it hurts and then goes numb, need to reach the numb point).

3. stretches of the entire leg - all major muscles.

4. stick applied to calves and shins: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CC...mwVYkENcOy_4vGL4pU-p

The combo above worked for me. Need to be diligent. Oh, and shoe arch inserts (I'm partial to Superfeet).

Now, I just do #1 daily still.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I found that rolling a golf ball underfoot, while watching TV, helped speed the healing process.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1636 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, a frozen 16 oz water bottle underfoot while watching TV provided relief.
I also sucked it up and went to inserts (support) in my shoes. Knock on wood, I haven't had any additional issues in 5+ years.

Posts: 2065 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked a little device called Step Stretch on Amazon. It stretch's out the ligaments, muscles and tendons in the lower leg and foot. It was a God send for me. I think they are about 20 bucks.

Posts: 5795 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
This couldnt have come in a more timely manner. Thanks for the advice. I am a stubborn person and was hoping it would go away, but its been a month now so I need fix it. Some day are better than others.
First fix is to get new boots on my feet and good inserts.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3944 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of the same above with stretching and rolling being a priority. Stretching from foot through the entire leg, hip and back.

Also, Oofos flops, Brooks Glycerin GTS shoes and these little inserts that can fit into just about any shoe:

Pedag Viva | Leather Arch Support Inserts | Handmade in Germany | Plantar Fasciitis Relief

JC

Posts: 1305 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I got it real bad. I wore Dr. Martens boots and had been wearing them for about a year before it started. It was bad enough I started walking with a limp. If I got a new pair it would be ok for 6-9 months and then it would start up again.

On a whim I switched to a different type of shoes, it cleared up in weeks and I have not had it return in 5+ years.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3664 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My original 2018 bout, I bought:
  • a boot/splint to sleep in and use in recliner. Rarely could wear an entire night, but it did stretch everything out. In hindsight, I'd buy again.
  • Assorted foot rollers. My trainer pointed out that it was a waste of money as it was the same diameter as a frozen water bottle which has the bonus of icing while rolling.
  • Arch supports in modern shoes is a paper thin joke no matter how much you pay. Pull the insoles out of your shoes and most likely the "support" is very thin cardboard with zero rigidity.

I believe Sigforum is where I first learned about Powerstep inserts. I was having a bout of plantar fascitis and Powerstep's provided the fastest relief out of anything I tried (and I tried a lot of things). The Maxx is a little too tall for me, but the Pinnacle Breeze are perfect. I have them in my slippers, my workout shoes, my casual shoes, my dress shoes for work, and my lawnmowing shoes.

Since then I've even purchased flip flops with arch support.

Knock on wood, being diligent on wearing footwear with arch support has prevented a recurrence.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Back, and
    to the left
    Picture of 83v45magna
    posted Hide Post
    I had it before but I've found that stretching and the two plus trips I make to the bathroom nightly keeps me calf muscles plenty stretched out. Big Grin

Posts: 7409 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    Both the ball and the boot splint are keys to fighting PF.

When you sleep your feet tend to go down ie flat, you don't keep them in the position you do when standing, this creates stress on the ligaments and thus PF.

If you have a bad case of PF, and yeah none are good, go for the boot/splint, and then get a couple of the rolling balls with the hard points, first time you roll over the sore area it will hurt like a mofo, but keep doing it.

I keep one under the desk and use it to massage the bottom of my feet.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Maybe only of interest to me, but Nebraska’s best starting cornerback has been out with it for 3 weeks now.

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Stupid
    Allergy
    Picture of dry-fly
    posted Hide Post
    Plantar fasciitis is hell. I have fought it off and on for damn near two years. It’s finally calmed down but now my Achilles is partially torn. Seeing yet *another* doc Monday for it.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Green grass and
    high tides
    Picture of old rugged cross
    posted Hide Post
    Sorry to hear dryfly. I hope you get over it and your achilles heals. It is very painful and can wear you down.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19767 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Stupid
    Allergy
    Picture of dry-fly
    posted Hide Post
    Thank you sir. Hopefully this doc on Monday will have the answers. Best of luck with your feet!

quote:
    Originally posted by old rugged cross:
    Sorry to hear dryfly. I hope you get over it and your achilles heals. It is very painful and can wear you down.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    goodheart
    Picture of sjtill
    posted Hide Post
    Mine went on for a long time until I saw a podiatrist who gave me an injection, and wedges for my shoes.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I’m surprised no one has mentioned Birkenstock. I have been wearing their sandals and shoes for several years. Due to the built in arch support I haven’t used my custom orthotics from my Podiatrist. I avoided them for years because I didn’t want to look like a hippie. Please don’t make my mistake. They also have inserts but I have not tried them.

Posts: 380 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I’ve had PF since 1998. I’ve tried everything including lithotripsy and cortisone injections. Neither worked very well. The most relief I’ve found is keeping weight in check. Gain a few too many and I suffer badly. It is debilitating.

Posts: 1178 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 229DAK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Costco magazine article
    Is there a link or did I simply miss it somewhere?

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ShouldBFishin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 229DAK:
    Is there a link or did I simply miss it somewhere?

Here's a link Best foot forward How to prevent and treat plantar fasciitis

bigguy mentioned Birkenstocks - I picked up a pair of their rubber/plastic sandals to try out a couple years ago to wear around the house, they've helped a lot.

Posts: 1820 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post