SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spare pilot lands Boeing 757
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spare pilot lands Boeing 757 Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“A Jet2 flight bound for Madeira has made an emergency landing at Porto after the pilot fainted and another, who happened to be on board the plane on holiday, entered the cabin for landing.

The Boeing 757 was on its way from Manchester to Funchal, Madeira, Portugal, when the pilot fell ill.

The 40-year-old pilot is understood to have been taken to hospital on arrival…”

https://mol.im/a/7395387

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8984 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Good thing Ted Stryker didn't have the fish!

Posts: 6494 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

What?

You knew it was coming...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming the EU requires two pilots to operate a commercial jetliner. Why couldn't the copilot land the plane. Or did he, and the "guest" pilot essentially became the copilot?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Yep, and all this in just 20 minutes. Truly amazing.

Incidentally, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal is one of the most gorgeous place I’ve ever seen.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4234 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'm assuming the EU requires two pilots to operate a commercial jetliner. Why couldn't the copilot land the plane. Or did he, and the "guest" pilot essentially became the copilot?

Likely the copilot could’ve landed the plane by himself. But much better to have two pilots in the cockpit, especially for a landing. And certainly the copilot knew of the pilot onboard.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8984 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Mind-bogglingly bad reporting.

Yes, the plane can be landed by one pilot. There are tons of reasons why two pilots are better than one, but when the plane is behaving well, one pilot can do the job.

Hero pilot? Horse shit.

Of course if the Captain got sick, there are some airlines that hire very low time pilots to sit in the right seat, which can make it exciting. Someone like that can get overwhelmed very quickly. Pilots fly planes, that's what we do. Stepping in to help land a plane isn't heroism, that's what I call a "short notice crew activation." Big Grin

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
thats why you never eat the fish on a flight....

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Tabloid sensationalism.

Q

Posts: 26433 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
thats why you never eat the fish on a flight....

Better to have the lasagna.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
When my wife & I were dating/engaged, nearly every time we got on a plane (737-size), she'd ask me "Could you fly this?"

At my 26 hours in a single engine prop, I'd usually respond with something along the lines of "Probably, though it probably wouldn't be fun for those onboard", followed by "That I can recall, it's never happened in American commercial aviation, that a passenger has taken over for an incapacitated pilot"

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15358 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
The Maderia airport is one of the most difficult airports to land at if I recall.

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
...that's what I call a "short notice crew activation." Big Grin
Crew Scheduling probably met them at the plane and reassigned the vacationing pilot... Cool

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, in Santa Barbara this happened
quote:
A C-130 Hercules Transport Crash Landed At Santa Barbara Airport

A C-130 Hercules Transport Crash Landed At Santa Barbara Airport (Updated)
The incident, which involved a contractor-owned Hercules, occurred at around 10:20 PM local time.

Details remain very limited at this time, but a privately owned C-130 crashed-landed at Santa Barbara Airport in California at around 10:20 PM on the evening of August 25th, 2019. The aircraft in question appears to belong to International Air Response, an operator of C-130s that are used for various unique applications, such as test and evaluation, film making, and oil spill cleanup spraying missions, as well as cargo hauling duties.

The aircraft skidded off the runway and came to a rest on its side. Although the airframe appears to be intact, there is significant damage to its wing. Reports state that all seven people on board were able to evacuate the aircraft safely. The aircraft was covered in fire retardant foam by crash crews at the airport shortly after coming to a stop.

It remains unclear what the C-130 was doing in the area on the evening of the 25th or what the nature of the incident was. The aircraft involved in the crash was marked with an "Oil Spill Response" livery. You can see a picture of a similar aircraft here.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post