SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speaking Of Blood Pressure: Taurine Supplementation May Help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking Of Blood Pressure: Taurine Supplementation May Help Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't have that problem, but, there are a number of (alleged) benefits to Taurine, none of which obtain with Lisinopril. Since they both lower my moderately-high blood pressure essentially equally, I'm opting for the Taurine.

I will, of course, continue to monitor my BP.

Same issues with Lisinopril as V-Tail, a dry cough, got off it and eventually it went away.

You should consult your physician about stopping the prescription BP if you haven't and substituting the Taurine.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Is there any advantage to powder vs. capsules?
Dunno.

I use the powder because I was running an exercise performance-enhancing stack already. It was easy to just add it to that.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
You should consult your physician about stopping the prescription BP if you haven't and substituting the Taurine.
Oh, I'll inform her, of course.

My guess is she'll be skeptical and recommend I not do that Wink Those were the reactions of past physicians when I employed non-pharmaceutical approaches to raise my T and shrink my prostate. Even after they were clearly effective for me, they remained skeptical.

Never mind the one that wanted to put me on SSRIs, after having me on Xanax 3 x day, for mild depression/anxiety, which I solved, first, with St. John's Wort (only known side-effect: Sun sensitivity), then, more effectively, with exercise and an attitude correction.

Third physician back, a DO, was far more open-minded. That's one reason I usually prefer DOs over MDs. But the local osteopathic hospital isn't great, so we're kinda sorta stuck with MDs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I take the 1000 MG capsules from LEF.ORG.

https://www.lifeextension.com/...ts/item01827/taurine

I stopped for a week and noticed my blood pressure did rise about 5 to 10 PSI.

I use it mainly for heart and brain support.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Were you taking HCTZ with the licinopril? If so, what did you do with that?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Same issues with Lisinopril as V-Tail, a dry cough, got off it and eventually it went away.

I had that intermittent dry cough for about a month or so when I first started Lisinopril, but it went away and has stayed away for the last 5 years, despite continuing Lisinopril.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Holy Cow. I hope you got the optional road hazard insurance.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

PSI? Blood pressure is usually measured in mm Hg.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
This is a sphygmomanometer:

This is not a sphygmomanometer:

Big Grin

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

PSI? Blood pressure is usually measured in mm Hg.

That's what happens when you are taking too much taurine. Wink

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
It is interesting that Taurine may help. That said it is safer to take Lisonopril daily. It is has been on the market a long term and longitudinal studies have supported its use. See no reason to switch unless you are getting unwelcome side effects. Taurine is unlikely to get an long term studies by Big Pharma because of money.

because of money

That is why I have come to distrust Big Pharma.
If they can't "control it" then they dismiss it.
They are all about making money and nothing else.
No personal offense intended but unfortunately too many in the medical profession seem to be bought & paid for by big pharma, just like in the government.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I think the studies on taurine are interesting, and it may be safe and effective in measurable things such as blood pressure.

However, I need to point out that ACE inhibitors (e.g. lisinopril) have been shown to be preventive in reducing cardiovascular disease events; protecting kidneys against kidney failure particularly for those with protein in the urine, and other benefits in addition to lowering blood pressure.

Similarly, statins lower cholesterol, but have benefits e.g. anti-inflammatory effects in the blood vessels that seem to offer protection much beyond their effect on cholesterol.

For my patients (if I still had any besides my wife and me) I would recommend lisinopril over taurine as first-line treatment for hypertension, because of the greater evidence of benefit vs. risk.

But--keep watching the skies!

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

I would recommend lisinopril over taurine as first-line treatment for hypertension
How about losartan vs. lisinopril? With taurine as an additional OTC supplement?

I had the "lisinopril cough," which has diminished greatly, almost disappeared entirely, since switching to losartan, but my question is, are there any down-sides to losartan instead of lisinopril?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More to heart health than just the pressure. I found this extremely informative.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
More to heart health than just the pressure.
That's one reason I was interested in Taurine. In addition to lowering BP, studies have shown other cardio-vascular benefits.

quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I found this extremely informative.
That's fascinating. Thanks for posting it!

For the record: My pre- and post-Taurine supplementation results:

Systolic BP, Diastolic BP, Pulse Pressure, Pulse Pressure Percentage of Systolic BP

Pre-Taurine: 117, 77, 39, 33.8%
Post-Taurine: 118, 80, 38, 32%

Five weeks of pre-Taurine measurements. Nine weeks of post-Taurine.

Except for the last two weeks, during which I've begun to increase exercise intensity and protein intake, there've been no other changes to any aspect of my life or lifestyle.

However: In the interest of full disclosure: Pre- and Post-Taurine body weight (net) and body fat percentages as measured by a BIA [1] body fat analyzer (averages over the time periods):

Pre-Taurine: 193 lbs., 21%
Post-Taurine: 190 lbs., 20%

[1] BIA: Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
substance drift here....

wondering whether the newer Rx items "Repatha" or "Evolocumab" have been personally used or studied
by any forum members here?

My earlier search turned up considerable disagreement between unhappy users and more satisfied providers.

Last round of reading such as Mayo & Cleveland Clinic reports seem pretty positive for use of the meds.

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post