SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for pocket sized binos
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for pocket sized binos Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
I have a pair of Steiner MM8x30 and they work well for me but are just a bit too big. I use them when stationary but always tend to leave them in my stand or truck when walking about/stalking. I want something I can throw in my cargo pocket so I have them when I need them.

Looking for a good pair of 8x28 or similar sized binos. price wise I would like to stay under $300...$200 even better.

I thought about a good monocular...Vortex has a few nice ones but I have found that they are less stable....yea I know duh Roll Eyes

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Best bet is to look at all the reviews/comments on binoculars here:
https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16249 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Albino little people everywhere are offended by your post title. Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This is my pocket bino when wearing cargo pants. They are light weight and very good optics for the money and come with a lifetime warranty. Mine are the 8x28 size.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-...sc=1#customerReviews

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Marlboro offered the Vivitar PV 8x22. Best set of small binoculars I have personally used. Looks like they might be difficult to find now.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Do these work?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/e..._sp=HtBys1Jun2019_HM

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Zeiss 8x25, Terra ED bino's. 10.9 oz, $350.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

They’re $300 on Amazon right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...&smid=A3KFZK68Z67DZX

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Thank you....looked at the Vortex and the Zeiss, maybe I need to go into Cabelas this weekend and see if they have any I can try.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you ever considered one of these harnesses?
I wear a full size set of glass constantly in the field hunting. They don't get in the way at all, but when needed reach down and they are there. The tension from the strap keeps them steady and spreading out the weight you can carry bigger glass than you would in your pocket.
Search around, several different people make these now. Mine from this company have held up very well to lots of use and abuse.

https://www.crookedhorn.com/st...-harness-detail.html

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The Optolyth 10x28 monocular always intrigued me.

Posts: 9977 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of Bushnell 10X25 that I discovered the "rubber armor" went bad on recently so I'm also looking for a replacement pair in the 8x25 or 8X28 range as well. The coating went completing gummy/sticky/melted (had a fun time getting it off my fingers) and considering I have had them for a few years just tossed them out. So now I'm looking for a pair that either have a much more deterioration proof coating or are just ruggedized with no coating that will end up the same way. Under $200 would be my budget though. Looking around now and keeping tabs on this thread to maybe give the family some helpful hints since Father's Day is right around the corner. Wink

Those Vortex Diamondback 8X28 seem to be the current leader in my search. The Vortex Lifetime warranty gives some peace of mind too, especially with regard to the rubber coating.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Have you ever considered one of these harnesses?
I wear a full size set of glass constantly in the field hunting. They don't get in the way at all, but when needed reach down and they are there. The tension from the strap keeps them steady and spreading out the weight you can carry bigger glass than you would in your pocket.
Search around, several different people make these now. Mine from this company have held up very well to lots of use and abuse.

https://www.crookedhorn.com/st...-harness-detail.html

I have the Cabelas version....meh, works for some people just not me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Albino little people everywhere are offended by your post title

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Glad to see someone thought the same thing I did.
I am woke to binos, are you?

Posts: 17257 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Leica Monovid. Monocular
Outstanding optics , but a bit more than you wanted to spend.
It does come with nice leather case , and a macro lens that attaches in lid of case.
Definitely worth a look if you can stretch your budget

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
quote:

Thank You! Just ordered a pair. Saved a minimum of fifty bucks. Best I found this past week was $349.

I took out several pairs of binos a few weeks back from the local Sportsmans Warehouse. My specs were decent optics and light weight as I will use them backpacking Glacier and Waterton Parks this year.

This model was the best compromise of high quality, light weight and affordability.

Gotta love this Forum.

Thanks again!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank You! Just ordered a pair. Saved a minimum of fifty bucks. Best I found this past week was $349.

Just in time. They’re back to $350.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
quote:

I took out several pairs of binos a few weeks back from the local Sportsmans Warehouse. My specs were decent optics and light weight as I will use them backpacking Glacier and Waterton Parks this year.

This model was the best compromise of high quality, light weight and affordability.

Gotta love this Forum.

Thanks again!

Keep in mind the Zeiss terra is Chinese made and not german like other Zeiss stuff. I had some 10x42s and the diopter broke, the Zeiss logo also fell off the day I bought them. I’d suggest not buying these and calling over to camera land NY and talking about your needs/wants and price range with them. I’ve been pretty happy each time I’ve done that.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Ordered already. I'll take my chances with ZEISS.