SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tamiflu effectiveness
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tamiflu effectiveness Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
My four year old was diagnosed with Influenza B yesterday by her pediatrician. It's hit her really hard.

Because my kids (and thus my wife and I) have been pretty much sick since they went back to school at the end of August first with colds and then RSV we never had a chance to get flu shots.

Our respective doctors prescribed my wife and I Tamiflu to try to keep us from getting the flu.

I'm just curious if that has worked for anyone here and what your Tamiflu experience has been.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I had it once maybe 5 years ago. I went to the doctor with a fever, chills, bad headache, etc. That was the worst I’ve ever felt. Tested + for the flu and got a prescription for tamiflu. I felt 1000 percent better the next day.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Ive read Tamiflu for kids but Sambucol with black elderberry extract for adults, early on in flu symptoms.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You should have gotten the flu shot, if that's what you wanted. Unless you have accompanying fever, a cold or upper respiratory infection is not a contraindication to getting the flu shot.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It worked well for us. My entire family suffered from the flu the last 2 weeks. It shortened the time in half. FYI, you can get it as a preventative.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7069 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its my understanding you need to get it ASAP after catching the flu. I think that after 3 days it doesn't do too much.

10yrs or so ago, I had the flu, on first day of "it ain't a cold" went to doc got Tamiflu, felt better in a couple of days.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Its my understanding you need to get it ASAP after catching the flu. I think that after 3 days it doesn't do too much...

Correct.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've been using betadine 10% solution mixed 1 part betadine to 10 parts saline nasal spray and I rinse my nose out 3 or 4 times a day. Carry a small squirt bottle and a couple quick pumps in each nostril, can also use a 10:1 mix w/water or saline for an oral rinse. Works for me. Good luck.

Posts: 4689 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
No experience with Tamiflu but wanted to stop by and wish you luck and let you know we’ll be praying for you. We had it in our house as well earlier this year. It hit all 5 of us, from the 4 year old to me.

My wife had the easiest ride, just a couple days. The 4 and 6 year old had a few days of real lethargy and a persistent fever for 10 days, but acted fairly normal for the bulk of those 10 days.

The 9 year old and I both got walloped. Fevers for 15 days straight, both of us up to 105, extreme lethargy and both of us developed secondary respiratory infections.

Get your vitamin D in, by sunlight and high quality supplement, and stay hydrated if you get it.

Good luck, buddy. Praying for ya.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Tamiflu worked great for my little guy when he caught the flu a few years ago. Turned around in 24 hrs.
Best of luck to you.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5302 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
No experience with Tamiflu but wanted to stop by and wish you luck and let you know we’ll be praying for you. We had it in our house as well earlier this year. It hit all 5 of us, from the 4 year old to me.

My wife had the easiest ride, just a couple days. The 4 and 6 year old had a few days of real lethargy and a persistent fever for 10 days, but acted fairly normal for the bulk of those 10 days.

The 9 year old and I both got walloped. Fevers for 15 days straight, both of us up to 105, extreme lethargy and both of us developed secondary respiratory infections.

Get your vitamin D in, by sunlight and high quality supplement, and stay hydrated if you get it.

Good luck, buddy. Praying for ya.

Thank you!!!

My four year old is getting walloped right now. We've had COVID, RSV, and colds with her, but this is much worse. It really hurts to see her this bad.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I will also comment that the only thing that gave me pause about tamiflu was the mental health warning- but my son was so young (around your daughter’s age) I set that fear aside. For some reason it doesn’t have that potential effect in adults? Perhaps one of our docs can elaborate on why this might be.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5302 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ts my understanding you need to get it ASAP after catching the flu. I think that after 3 days it doesn't do too much...

Correct.

^^^^^^^^^^
My experince ist that if you take it at the outset it lessens symptoms and takes two or three days off the illness. My daughter used it when the entire college got the flu.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An FDA safety review found 596 reported cases of psychiatric behavior associated with using Tamiflu. Most of these cases occurred in people age 21 or younger; 75% of the cases occurred in Japan. Delirium, delusions, hallucinations, and psychoses were factors in many cases.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Doubt that there is a clear reason. Chantix can cause similar symptoms as well as many psychiatric meds.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
An FDA safety review found 596 reported cases of psychiatric behavior associated with using Tamiflu. Most of these cases occurred in people age 21 or younger; 75% of the cases occurred in Japan. Delirium, delusions, hallucinations, and psychoses were factors in many cases.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Doubt that there is a clear reason. Chantix can cause similar symptoms as well as many psychiatric meds.
How did they tell the difference from "normal" 21-year-olds?

Posts: 6448 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:

Our respective doctors prescribed my wife and I Tamiflu to try to keep us from getting the flu.

I don't speak from experience since my wife and I haven't had the flu for well over 20 years, getting the shot like clock work every year at the appropriate time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tamiflu indicated for faster recovery and symptom relief rather than a preventative?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless they are taking drugs or are schizophrenic it is pretty easy. You must not interact with that age group.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tamiflu indicated for faster recovery and symptom relief rather than a preventative?

^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. The flu vaccine is to prevent catching it.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
took it once,

felt like something was coming on, thought the usual sinus infection I get once in a while,

next day, went to see a customer and felt horrible,
called wife on the way home and she nagged me (which was a good thing) to stop at a doc in the box on the way home and get checked,

yup, flu

tamiflu prescribed,
still felt like crap a couple of days, but was back to work quickly,

and yes, I gave it to the customer,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post