SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mini Van Advice Please
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini Van Advice Please Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Came here to ensure the discussion included sweet rims.

Was not disappointed.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I too was smiling in anticipation when I opened this thread. I think it is interesting what catches the forum's fancy and becomes lore...

quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

What kind of rims are you going to put on it?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had an Odyssey when our twins were born...ran that up to 184k before trading it without any issues. Bought a Honda Pilot...nothing but problems with the vehicle and dealership.

Traded it in on a Sienna SE and it has been a fantastic vehicle. Took it on a 2k mile trip right after we got it and never regretted it. Love the room, quality, ride.

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a 2010 Town & Country. Hated it. It didn't hold up very well on the interior. It ran ok and got us from point a to b with no problems, but the fit and finish left something to be desired.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Don’t do it. Their ratings are nowhere near the two at the top: the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey

Posts: 33822 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
We have a 2012 Honda Odyssey with just over 200,000 miles. There was a TSB that called for the rear pistons to have new rings installed and replace the spark plugs. Honda did not charge for this even though the van was out of warranty. The only repairs I have had to do other than wear items and scheduled maintenance were alternator and axle replacements.

Posts: 3231 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like everyone else said, go with the toyota or Honda. My 3rd pick would be the Kia.
I own a toyota sienna and it's been a great vehicle.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's a Dance
Picture of daoliver
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone. We have decided not to get this. The odesseys are a little out of range but that may change in a few months. Thank you for the great advice.

I’ll be your Huckleberry
SP2022, G27, 870P

Posts: 505 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Nissan Quest. I drove it for 180k until I gave it to my daughter at college. It was great.

Posts: 17146 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daoliver:
Thank you everyone. We have decided not to get this. The odesseys are a little out of range but that may change in a few months. Thank you for the great advice.
What part of the country are you located? We’re toying with the idea of selling our 2016 Ody this spring. We haven’t decided yet, but we figured out that neither of us really like it.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrysler trannys are notoriously bad in these things. Another vote for Sienna (just passed 14 years in our current one).

Posts: 705 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Anecdotal evidence aside, Odyssey's are notoriously unreliable for Hondas. In fact, in Consumer Reports annual survey released lat month of half million car owners Honda slipped to 15th out of 29 brands, largely due to 2 vehicles in Honda's fleet, the Odyssey and the Clarity. The Odyssey is currently listed as one of the 10 most unreliable vehicles.

Link

Lexus and Toyota are numbers one and two. I'd buy a Sienna.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2003 grand caravan. Over 240k mIles on the 3.3l v6. Engine and trans original. Can't get it pass inspection with check engine light, but the damn thing won't die. Keeps on chugging along.

Wife has the 2005 grand caravan, 3.8l v6... love the stow and go seats!

Cheap to buy and cheap to fix.

SIL has the Sienna. Very nice, but holy crap, every repair is pricey!

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I will add my experience with a 2006 Odyssey, 105,000 miles over 7 years, perfect family vehicle when we had smaller kids. At the end, the timing belt blew and we had to eat that engine repair. But otherwise, great car.

Before that my wife had the chevy Astro van, not terrible but not even close to the quality of the Odyssey.

After the Odyssey, wife got an Acura MDX, the 7 passenger crossover suv. Also a great car for us. Had a couple minor things come up over 5.5 years (electric hatchback motor, and telescopic steering wheel motor both died), but all covered and repaired under warranty.

My advice: look at a Toyota Sienna in trim of your choice. Drive and enjoy.

Second choice, Honda Odyssey, but get the extended warranty.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
When buying used, Chrysler cars have the worst residual value. Meaning you can get a much newer, lower mileage Chrysler, than the competing Honda/Toyota.

My kids beat up cars with Cheerios all over the floor, muddy soccer cleats, and generally trashed interior in no time flat. I'd MUCH rather do that to a 15K used Chrysler than a 40K Honda/Toyota.

The 2016 Town & Country is a very solid car. I have the 2017 Pacifica with the 9 speed transmission, and its been in the shop a few times for weird shifting. The 6 speed transmission in the older cars is solid and much better than the new 9 speed monstrosity.

So if you are looking for the best condition car in your (used) price range, that 2016 Town and Country should be a solid buy, and give you minimal problems.

And last I checked, the Honda Odyssey, ALL of them, uses a timing belt. So figure in a $1400 repair right at 105,000 miles that MUST be done. The Chrysler and Toyota have timing chains so they don't need this pricey repair.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I was interested in jigray3’s comment about Consumer Reports’ reliability survey of the Odyssey, so I looked it up. The poor reliability is for the 2018 Odyssey, and almost entirely related to in-car electronics (i.e. infotainment).
Previous years, particularly 2015, are very reliable per Consumer Reports.
2018 was a new year for the Odyssey, hopefully Honda will get that under control.
By the way, unreliability of in-car electronics has been a huge hit for reliability for a number of car manufacturers in the last year or so.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Pacifica

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I was interested in jigray3’s comment about Consumer Reports’ reliability survey of the Odyssey, so I looked it up. The poor reliability is for the 2018 Odyssey, and almost entirely related to in-car electronics (i.e. infotainment).
Previous years, particularly 2015, are very reliable per Consumer Reports.
2018 was a new year for the Odyssey, hopefully Honda will get that under control.
By the way, unreliability of in-car electronics has been a huge hit for reliability for a number of car manufacturers in the last year or so.

My wife's uncle works for Honda (Acura actually to be specific) in Ohio and one of his perks is a new Honda every other year. They have a 2018 Odyssey and that thing is SO loaded with all sorts of electronic sensors and radar and screens and gizmos it doesn't surprise me at all.

He told me that Honda is on a phased plan for their vehicles and the 2018 Odyssey is considered Phase 2, and he lets go of the steering wheel for a good 25-30 seconds while on the highway and the van basically starts driving itself, them prompts him to grab the wheel again. He says Phase 5 is completely self-driving Hondas. Eek

Posts: 33822 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
my observation is minivans are not as durable as suvs in general. i drove one for over a decade when my offsprung were young, and it was not good with all sorts of little problems. I don't know why minivans aren't better built. But when they're working, you can't beat the convenience of a minivan, even more convenient than an SUV.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8689 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
When buying used, Chrysler cars have the worst residual value. Meaning you can get a much newer, lower mileage Chrysler, than the competing Honda/Toyota.

My kids beat up cars with Cheerios all over the floor, muddy soccer cleats, and generally trashed interior in no time flat. I'd MUCH rather do that to a 15K used Chrysler than a 40K Honda/Toyota.

The 2016 Town & Country is a very solid car. I have the 2017 Pacifica with the 9 speed transmission, and its been in the shop a few times for weird shifting. The 6 speed transmission in the older cars is solid and much better than the new 9 speed monstrosity.

So if you are looking for the best condition car in your (used) price range, that 2016 Town and Country should be a solid buy, and give you minimal problems.

And last I checked, the Honda Odyssey, ALL of them, uses a timing belt. So figure in a $1400 repair right at 105,000 miles that MUST be done. The Chrysler and Toyota have timing chains so they don't need this pricey repair.

It only costs half that to have a timing belt put on an Odyssey. And it’s not a “repair”, it’s maintenance.

Btw, FCA makes nothing that is “solid”. They are some of the lowest quality vehicles you can buy.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post