SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are sipping whiskeys and mixing whiskeys mutually exclusive?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are sipping whiskeys and mixing whiskeys mutually exclusive? Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Woodford Reserve for sipping. Never mixing

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They are not exclusive. It is a matter of taste and budget.

Some people will drink a whiskey neat or on ice that I don't think is that good. And some people will put an expensive whiskey in coke when I think that good whiskey is mostly wasted in a mixed drink.

Bill Gates has enough money that he could mix Pappy Van Winkle in coke and not care. Most would agree it is wasted in a drink with a lot of mixer.

Some people will drink Jim Beam's regular bourbon straight up, but I don't like it well enough to drink it that way.

Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark and some others in that general price range are in the middle. Good enough to drink straight, and not so expensive that they are wasted with a mixer.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
When people start talking about using whiskey as a mixer I was thinking Old Fashioned or Manhattan. Never even thought of mixing it with Coke.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
When people start talking about using whiskey as a mixer I was thinking Old Fashioned or Manhattan. Never even thought of mixing it with Coke.

In cocktails like an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan, you will probably want the booze to be of much higher quality than the booze you would put in a whiskey and coke. The more mixer, the less important the quality of the hooch.

I might not use the very, very best whiskey for a Manhattan, but I would want pretty good whiskey for that drink.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post