SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After 36 years in Colorado, it's time for a new adventure in NC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
After 36 years in Colorado, it's time for a new adventure in NC Login/Join 
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted
I've lived in Colorado since 1990, in Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Silverthorne and mostly, Broomfield. I retired on May 1, wife retired Dec 31, 2025. It's time to move on. We're closing on a Hendersonville, North Carolina property on Tuesday, moving on the 28th. Property taxes are about half of what they are here, as are auto and homeowners insurance. House is basically a swap. It's been a blast Colorado, Adios.


_________________
This space left intentionally blank.
 
Posts: 4321 | Location: Hendersonville, North Carolina | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Beautiful country
 
Posts: 114940 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Email sent


Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.
 
Posts: 1191 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Best of good fortune.
I used to say that we could use all the responsible gun owners we could get in Colorado, but I certainly would not recommend that one move or stay here now.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49961 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Political climate had very little weight in this choice, it is a factor, but I hear ya! We need lower altitude and a tad more humidity for my wife's health. The mountains make it quite nice for us, and I love the deciduous forests. We're on a wooded half acre with a private unbuilt lot next door, and 16 wild acres behind.

Wow. I just spotted that the thread start post was 4300. All of anything I could Karma up, is taped up in boxes. 4400 should be soon.


_________________
This space left intentionally blank.
 
Posts: 4321 | Location: Hendersonville, North Carolina | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I hope you like humidity. A friend lives in NC and he has a saying about living there in the summer that includes something about an armpit. I don't recall the rest of it. Big Grin



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21944 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I hope you like humidity. A friend lives in NC and he has a saying about living there in the summer that includes something about an armpit. I don't recall the rest of it. Big Grin


Big Grin
Western NC won for it's moderate humidity, and beautiful landscape. We have visited in all 4 seasons, hot of summer and after a snow dump. I don't wear glasses to drive there. My eyes seem to hydrate. My wife needs more than the 10% we get here in the summer and 5% in winter. The flats are pretty bad, I agree! Driving down to Greenville, I can feel the heat and humidity as we approach.


_________________
This space left intentionally blank.
 
Posts: 4321 | Location: Hendersonville, North Carolina | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
He lives in Walkertown



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21944 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Winston-Salem. We're considerably west and up. My Stepdaughter got her PhD from Wake Forest.


_________________
This space left intentionally blank.
 
Posts: 4321 | Location: Hendersonville, North Carolina | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Wonderful area! We were visiting daughter/SIL, who live in Charlotte, and we took a trip out that way. If it wasn’t for my MIL living with us, we would have moved to that area.


Retired Texas Lawman
 
Posts: 1498 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I hope you enjoy NC.

If you need more humidity I can send you some. It's 4:02am here in Louisiana I have 99% on my weather station.


_______________________________________________________
And no, junior not being able to hold still for 5 seconds is not a disability.



 
Posts: 13184 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve got family in that area. Beautiful place, lowkey but within reasonable distance of a few metro areas.
 
Posts: 14060 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I am dreaming of a move in retirement. I want as much a change in the "chapter" of my life than anything. A tangible new period. If nothing else, I will buy a retirement home in this area (Western PA) or a camp, that isn't in a wooded hole. I miss sunrises and sunsets SO much. But I love the idea of NC, as the winters here near Pittsburgh can be incredibly long and hard (depressingly so).

How did you select Hendersonville? Did you go to NC and just drive to lots of towns to check them out?
 
Posts: 11856 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I've been in Colorado for 68 years. Been doing a lot of contemplation on where I would like to go. It just doesn't feel like home here anymore.

Best of luck to you, Scratchy.


_______________________
“There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”
― Frank Zappa
 
Posts: 2042 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Hendersonville is a a beautiful area. Be sure to hit up the apple festival Sept 4-7.


____________________
I Like Guns and stuff
 
Posts: 826 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Welcome from Eastern NC. We are 2 hours from the ocean. Visit the mountains often. I think you will enjoy the state.


JEREMIAH 33:3
 
Posts: 3221 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My SIL, niece & nephew live in Hendersonville-she is part owner of Postero on main. It’s beautiful country. My parents live over in Franklin. My plan is when Mrs. MIke retires, we move back to the mountains in WNC




“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“ in my opinion, anything that we can do to trigger a potential aneurysm in a leftist is a good thing and worth doing” nhtagmember 2025
 
Posts: 12376 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Very nice area.
Our neighbors behind us moved here to S. Utah from that area.
Their biggest gripes with that area were problems getting trades to do work. (ie HVAC, Plumbers which is also a problem here) and lack of nearby medical providers. So, I'd recommend being proactive on seeking out your medical providers.
They were going all the way to Winston-Salem for their medical.
 
Posts: 2458 | Location: Just outside of Zion and Bryce Canyon NP's | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Welcome to NC from Morganton!




Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.
 
Posts: 3848 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
How did you select Hendersonville? Did you go to NC and just drive to lots of towns to check them out?


That is pretty much how we did it. Over 4 or 5 trips to the area, in every season. Overall, it agreed with us, and what we're looking for.


_________________
This space left intentionally blank.
 
Posts: 4321 | Location: Hendersonville, North Carolina | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After 36 years in Colorado, it's time for a new adventure in NC

© SIGforum 2026