SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TDAP and shingles shots
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TDAP and shingles shots Login/Join 
posted
My new doctor said yes when I asked whether or not I should get these. I am 68, and don't recall whether or not I had chicken pox as a child, but I think I had most of the childhood diseases that were prevalent in the late fifties/early sixties. I might have had a mild case of shingles late teens/early twenties (I seem to vaguely recall a little activity around one eye, and the term "herpes Zoster") I understand the side effects are unpleasant and not uncommon, but not nearly as bad as the diseases themselves. Anyone with experience, or (educated) opinion about these shots?

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I had the shingrix vaccine (two shots) with no reactions. Shingles can really be pretty rough so I felt it was worth getting the vaccine.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:
I had the shingrix vaccine (two shots) with no reactions. Shingles can really be pretty rough so I felt it was worth getting the vaccine.

My wife & I had the Shingrex shots. We both had a slight reaction to the second shot. Not a big deal, just kind of a tired feeling for a day.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Agree. The Shingrix vaccine is supposed to be far more effective than the older one. I don’t know anyone who’s had shingles, that wouldn’t prefer to have gotten the vaccine.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has had shingles several times. Very painful and looks like hell. Got into an eye a little bit once. Opthamologist was very concerned. I have had both shots recently. Got sick that night both times. Bad nausea and fever for about 3 hours. Never a reaction from TDAP.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Agree. The Shingrix vaccine is supposed to be far more effective than the older one. I don’t know anyone who’s had shingles, that wouldn’t prefer to have gotten the vaccine.

A good friend had shingles years ago.

It's not something I want any part of.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my father was unable to get the shingles shot (first gen) because of his compromised immune system from CLL and others. He got shingles in his eye. His comment was it was exceptionally painful. I would say it was debilitating to him for a few months. He'd been waiting for the 2nd gen to be available to him.

As soon as I was illegible, I went and got it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
my father was unable to get the shingles shot (first gen) because of his compromised immune system from CLL and others. He got shingles in his eye. His comment was it was exceptionally painful. I would say it was debilitating to him for a few months. He'd been waiting for the 2nd gen to be available to him.

As soon as I was illegible, I went and got it

But I can read and understand what you wrote. Smile

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father had shingles twice. He never complained of pain much, but he wasn't one to complain about anything. On the other hand, I talked with a gentleman years ago who had lost sight in one eye from shingles. Knowing this prompted me to get the Shingrix shots last year, which are reportedly more effective than the earlier vaccine. There were no effects from the first shot but I felt like crap for about a day after the second.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
I might have had a mild case of shingles late teens/early twenties (I seem to vaguely recall a little activity around one eye, and the term "herpes Zoster")

Not likely you had shingles that young. But if it were shingles then you most certainly first had chickenpox.

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

A good friend had shingles years ago.

It's not something I want any part of.

I had it back in 2020. Yeah it sucked. When I'm eligible, I'll be getting that vaccine.

And yes, if your shingles develops around the eye, loss of sight is a real possibility. Early treatment is the key in that case.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I got the shingrix vaccine. A close friend had shingles twice and i felt that any of the reported reactions to the vaccine had to be better then what she went through.
I did not have any reactions to either shot.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My Dad had a relative mild case of shingles once, and even that pretty unpleasant for him. My doctor recommended I get the vaccine a few years ago and I did. After the first dose I felt really tired until the next day, and my arm was a little sore for 2 or 3 days. Similar soreness after the 2nd dose but no other effects.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had the first dose in December of 2020 and I had the most unpleasant reaction.

I experienced the side effect they referred to as "headache".

It felt like my scalp was being sawed off with a bread knife. All they could do was give me dilaudid and that terrible gabapentin shit.

The pain was non-stop for almost a year straight.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I got shingles in my early 40's. 18 weeks of absolute hell! My lack of an immune system really stuck it to me there. I got the first shingles vaccine as soon as I could. A couple of years later Shingrix came out. I got in line as soon as I could for those shots as well. I wouldn't wish Shingles on anyone.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
My brother in law just told me he has it on his face, including near his eye. He thinks he had the vaccine.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a very mild case even though I had Shringrix. It cleared within a week with Acyclovir. My physician said it would have been much worse without the vaccine.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My wife had shingles when she was pregnant and really suffered.
She’s a nurse and was knowledgeable about the vaccine.
First shot, sore are and warm. Second shot, we took Tylenol beforehand. I compared it to a flu shot. Aches, pains,low energy and not feeling great for three days.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I got shingles Oct '21 got it on my left collar bone/neck area. The left side of scalp was very tender while still full blown. Dr. gave me an antiviral and it seemed to help hold it in place.

My left shoulder neck area still itches but the outward discolored signs/scaly/scabs are gone now.

I will be getting the vaccine once I have enough distance from this.

I recommend getting the vaccine if you are over fitty.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know several people that had Shingles and suffered terribly. I took both shots and was sick 1-2 days each time. Flu like symptoms and the Dr. Warned me in advance. Well worth it to me considering the possible alternative. Choice is yours to make.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
Just had my second dose of Shingrix about 10 days ago, felt like crap the next day and a very sore arm, I took Tylenol which helped. I got mine on a Friday and glad I did it then to have a couple of days to lay around. Still better than getting shingles from what I hear.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post