SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smart TV man-machine interface
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smart TV man-machine interface Login/Join 
posted
Planning to replace an old Visio dumb TV with either a LG or Samsung smart TV, likely OLED or QLED, respectively. It’ll be used for streaming content from the internet and probably some OTA local channels via an antenna. Most of my interaction will be using the tv remote to select and control streaming viewing with the manufacturer’s software that’s built into the tv.

Given all that, if you’ve used either or both of those tv’s, do you have a preference for which tv’s software is easier or more helpful to actually use with the respective remote? I’ve got a LG and sometimes interacting with it via the remote is a PITA. Is Samsung just as bad, worse or better, assuming someone has used both or can comment on pros and cons of either? Thanks.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Whatever the user interface is, don't count on it staying that way. I bought a Sony a few years ago and it - being connected to the internet - periodically goes out and updates itself. Sometimes the UI will change a bit. I remember one time it seemed like the whole thing was different.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
In my experience, LG's interface software isn't quite as good as Samsung, but the picture quality of the LG OLED is noticeably higher than the Samsung QLED.

So if you prioritize ease of use, go with Samsung. If picture quality (especially the OLED's super deep blacks) is a priority, it's worth dealing with the slightly subpar LG interface.

I'm very happy with my LG C2, even if the Web OS interface isn't quite as good as some of the alternatives. It's still perfectly servicable.

And if the LG interface bugs you too much, you can just stream through a 3rd party interface like a Firestick, AppleTV, Roku, etc. to get around that.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I find Sony to have far better picture quality if you mainly watch live action (real people) shows and movies.
If you watch more animation and play more video games Samsung and LG win.

I don’t mind Sony’s interface but I use either an FireTV or XBOX One instead of the built in features on the TV.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a Roku TV? We love ours.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
A second for Roku.

We have 3 TV's all with Roku boxes, so no matter which TV the wife is watching, they all look the same.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A third for roku. We have samsung and lg tvs. Not of the interfaces are as intuitive as the roku.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
For streaming, just get a Roku Stick...Seriously!

Regarding the TVs you mentioned, QLED sounds like OLED, but that's where the similarity ends. OLED is Organic LED while QLED is an LCD TV that has LED Back lighting. OLED can display TRUE Black, because individual pixels can be turned off completely, where that's not the case with the Samsung QLED. I'd recommend OLED from Sony or LG if you're looking for a superior picture.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I have an LG 65” G2 OLED, and I’m satisfied with its operation. Samsung and Sony is known to have a better remote, but again, I have no complaints.

Also, my LG’s remote is like a Wii controller, but I don’t use that feature. It isn’t necessarily bad, but I think the batteries will die faster. I can’t remember which one - Samsung or Sony, but they have a remote with solar charging.

But yes, there will be UI updates with all smart TVs for a time, until newer models push them out of the way.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1174 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have Samsung TVs over the years. The remote is easy to use. I have 3 right now, two bought in the last 2 years and 1 early this year.

I went with Samsung from previous threads here. I’m not disappointed. Also went with Samsung sound systems for integration. The sound bar works with the tv remote although it has its own remote. Samsung also has an app which can control the tv and sound bar.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Samsung TV's. I have attached Roku devices as the interface is easier to use. Roku's hand controller is hard for me to use as it expects the thumb to be used. With my hitchhikers thumb I can not easily use the device & using my forefinger makes my middle finger activate the side buttons.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just as a point of reference, my Dad bought a Vizio smart TV 2 years ago and the interface is very frustratingly non-intuitive and not simple and easy to use like the Roku interface.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
To me how the remote works with the interface is the most important thing.
Can't say I see much if any difference on say Netflix on my Sony or on my Samsung.
The Samsung remote makes it much easier to navigate.
All I want is shortcuts on my remote for the networks I want to see > Prime, Netflix, Paramount Plus and from there is is just point and click.

But as others have mentioned using Roko, FireTV, etc will bypass the TV if you just can't live with the version on the Smart TV.
One thing I despise about my Samsung (something learned here on SF) is that Paramount Plus on my Samsung doesn't allow full audio and video capabilities unlike my Sony.
It is the OS of the Smart TV that is the culprit not the TV itself. Mad

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
One thing I despise about my Samsung (something learned here on SF) is that Paramount Plus on my Samsung doesn't allow full audio and video capabilities unlike my Sony.
It is the OS of the Smart TV that is the culprit not the TV itself. Mad

It's Paramount that is the culprit in that case, not Samsung or their smart TV software. Paramount has made the decision to only allow their app to stream high quality video/audio on a handful of software platforms like AppleTV, Roku, and Fire, with others (including most smart TV built-in software) still having the Paramount app but being relegated to just basic HD resolution and stereo sound.

Whereas literally every other streaming service app provides the same full audio/video quality options on every software platform. Paramount could too, they just deliberately choose not to.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Have both, the LG has been flawless, and it sits in a 100 degree garage all year, well it's not always 100, but it's hot most of the year, watched it yesterday while cleaning and waxing the bike.

The interface for apps on it is lacking, it's a bit older 3 years, and it can't be updated so some apps won't run. In that case a ROKU or Firestick or Apple TV will give you what you want.

The Samsung works pretty much the same way, it runs most every app, updates automatically if you wish, the remote is easy to use when it works, ours (remote) took a dive back in July, under warranty, CS is best handled on chat, phone CS is horrible. They have mailed us a bad replacement, sent a tech to discover the replacement is bad too, now we're two weeks out from that service, and the new remote hasn't shipped, it's "in process" I would hate to be out a part that makes the set run.....

Picture is good though on both Samsung IMO has a better picture than my LG.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
3 Samsungs & 1 Vizio in my house.
I prefer the newer Samsung navigation/interface, don't really like the Vizio interface, but it was a free 55" that was an improvement over the old Samsung 42" non-smart.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post