SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you suck in Seattle, you could be fined $250 - Seattle becomes first major U.S. city to ban straws - Santa Barbara CA ups ante to include jail time
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you suck in Seattle, you could be fined $250 - Seattle becomes first major U.S. city to ban straws - Santa Barbara CA ups ante to include jail time Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.d43b6963b2dc

Seattle becomes first major U.S. city to ban straws

In one fell sip, Seattle on Sunday became the first major U.S. city to ban drinking straws, an environmentally friendly move that leaders hope will spark a nationwide conversation about small, everyday changes that people can make to protect the planet.

A decade ago, the city adopted an ordinance requiring that all one-time-use food-service items be compostable or recyclable, according to the Seattle Times. But straws and other utensils were exempted from that law because there were not many good alternatives.

So the straws stayed, along with the environmental problems they cause.

Most plastic straws aren’t heavy enough to make it through industrial recycling sorters, according to the Strawless Ocean campaign, and can ruin an otherwise good load of recycling. Or they end up getting blown out of trash cans and car windows and ultimately wind up in the oceans, where they can hurt wildlife.

Strawless Ocean estimates that 71 percent of seabirds and 30 percent of turtles have some kind of plastic in their stomachs. The organization says ingested plastic can increase the mortality rate of marine life by 50 percent.

Now customers at grocery stores, restaurants, food trucks, even institutional cafeterias have to find another way to get liquid into their mouths. Compostable paper and plastic straws are allowed under the ban. People who have a medical need to use a straw are exempt.

Failure to comply may result in a $250 fine, although city leaders told the Times that the initial phase of the law is more about raising awareness.

In September, 150 businesses participated in Strawless in Seattle, an attempt to reduce the use of plastic straws. In that month alone, Strawless Ocean estimates, 2.3 million plastic straws were removed from the city.

“When you get your iced latte, you’re going to get a straw. When you go get your mojito, you’re probably going to get a straw,” Dune Ives, executive director of the Lonely Whale Foundation, which led the campaign, told the Times. “Once we start observing our daily life, it’s really easy to see how quick” the plastic adds up.

U.N. Goodwill Ambassador Adrian Grenier has lent his celebrity to the #StopSucking campaign.

But consumers also have been putting pressure on companies to do away with plastic straws. There is, for example, a petition on Change.org demanding that McDonald’s switch to strawless lids.

“Imagine a world where we could stop consuming 500 million straws a day, just in America!” the campaign says. “Imagine a world that is less dependent on plastic. That’s change we can start today!”

And even Seattle-based Starbucks is making an effort to change its straw-heavy business model.

The company is developing strawless lids.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BamaJeepster,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Not remotely surprising, cups next you'll have to drink from your hands next.

Posts: 2846 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
So Seattle is neck and neck with San Francisco in the lunatic competetion. I think all liberals who believe man will destroy the universe should stop emitting CO2 and CH4.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
The future is closer than you realize:

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2050 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
The irony is that if if libs pass this ban, they will suck even more. Wink

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2080 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
So does this mean if you are on your own private property and the straw police see you using a straw they can come on to your private property and give you a ticket. Roll Eyes

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2639 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Not remotely surprising, cups next you'll have to drink from your hands next.

That was my first thought. What about the millions of styrofoam cups and the plastic gas station pop go-cups?

I'd say that straws are the least of their problems.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

What happened to paper straws. They worked fine, and that's all we had "back when". I see they are allowed under the new law, so just go back to them.

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Strawless Ocean estimates that 71 percent of seabirds and 30 percent of turtles have some kind of plastic in their stomachs. The organization says ingested plastic can increase the mortality rate of marine life by 50 percent.

Wonder how much nicotine and cigarette butts are also in their systems.

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Get caught smoking with a straw AND a gun, and they’ll probably hang you in the morning.

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Port Angeles just passed a "Bring your own bag law". No more plastic bags in any store in that town. Seattle will be next.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Waiting for the lawsuits from disabled people.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
Port Angeles just passed a "Bring your own bag law". No more plastic bags in any store in that town. Seattle will be next.

I'll bring my own bag. The STORES can't provide bags, but I'll bring my own:
https://www.amazon.com/Intepla...0_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Funny how stores won't have plastic bags at check outs, but there are plastic bags in the produce section......

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, Seattle city council nitwit has decided city should look into providing the heroin to use in the city provided shooting gallery, staffed with a public health nurse, to assist the heroin addict in getting high “safely” since some folks think there are too many ODs.

Genius thinks it will solve crime by reducing theft by the druggies to support their habit. Irony of course is the taxes the city “collects” for such folly is every bit as much “theft” but on a larger scale.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

Exemption for those with a “medical need”, yet ADA and hippa protect folks from disclosing medical info. Welcome to “Catch-22”

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

Exemption for those with a “medical need”, yet ADA and hippa protect folks from disclosing medical info. Welcome to “Catch-22”

I bet you can bribe the right official for a 'straw permit'. Soon all the celebrities and people with pull will be carrying around gold straw cases as a status symbol...Some animals being more equal and all...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.d43b6963b2dc

Seattle becomes first major U.S. city to ban straws

.......Strawless Ocean estimates that 71 percent of seabirds and 30 percent of turtles have some kind of plastic in their stomachs. The organization says ingested plastic can increase the mortality rate of marine life by 50 percent.........

Yep, by eliminating plastic straws in Seattle, or even the entire US, it will have an impact on the plastic in the worlds oceans.

https://www.scientificamerican...astic-in-the-oceans/

The 10 rivers that carry 93 percent of that trash are the Yangtze, Yellow, Hai, Pearl, Amur, Mekong, Indus and Ganges Delta in Asia, and the Niger and Nile in Africa. The Yangtze alone dumps up to an estimated 1.5 million metric tons of plastic waste into the Yellow Sea.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Yet another thing the libs want to ban! This is the last straw.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1500 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
You gotta be shitting me.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9420 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
"If you suck in Seattle............"

This legislation will never catch on in San Francisco....... Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post