SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opinions on Tonneau covers...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Tonneau covers... Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
My truck had a very nice "Xatang" brand tonneau cover, but it wore out after lots of faithful service and had to pitch it. Since the truck already had it when I bought it used, I never knew enough about tonneau covers to know how it compared to other brands and models. I'd like to keep a folding, fabric type of cover, but don't know how comparable Xtang fabric/laminate covers are compared to other brands and models.

What do you guys like for fabric tonneau covers ? I'm not always price sensitive for everything when it comes to vehicle stuff, but I am for this replacement. The Xtang was simple and extemely clean looking, and not expensive compared to other types.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I have a Truxedo Low-Pro on my truck, it's only 3 years old but it's just like it was when I put it on.

It's the roll up soft one,

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tru...b_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_7

Archerman

Posts: 2500 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
My current F150 came with an Extang hard cover. All my previous pick ups had caps. After 7 years of hard work, mine is pretty well shot. I would say that given my daily use as a service truck, getting opened and closed in freezing cold and summer hot, it's help up ok. I would still prefer a cap over a cover in all honesty.

Posts: 11292 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Truxcedo Lo Pro here too.
Had it for 15 years but replaced the vinyl a couple years ago as the Texas sun beat it ferociously.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gator brand tri-fold soft tonneau cover on my truck. 4 years in the Colorado climate (330-plus days of sunshine per year), still looking pretty good. I think I paid about $260 delivered to the house, took about 15 minutes to install.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1110 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I put a bak flip 3 section bed cover on my 2008 Ridgeline when it was new. After 14 mostly garage kept years it still works perfectly and looks good.

I'd buy another without hesitation.

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
When I had my F150, I was between a Bak MX4 or a Peragon.
Pricier options, but both are highly rated.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
Gator brand tri-fold soft tonneau cover on my truck. 4 years in the Colorado climate (330-plus days of sunshine per year), still looking pretty good. I think I paid about $260 delivered to the house, took about 15 minutes to install.

And made in the USA. Alabama if memory serves correct.
I have the Gator EFX hard trifold. Great cover.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I had that same Xtang soft cover on my 2005 F150. I liked it and it held up well for over 17 years, but my truck was always garaged, so that helped.

Shortly after I sold that truck a good friend had a similar cover on his Silverado. He told me they went out to dinner one evening and when they went out to their truck to go home he noticed the back of the cover had been slit open, rail to rail. They stole his tool bag and a small compressor. I had just bought my Colorado then and was thinking of putting on a similar cover to my old soft Xtang. I thought it best to look around some after he told me his story.

I decided I needed something that would present more of a challenge to get into. I ended up going with the TonnoPro back flip hard cover. It is strong enough to stand on, folds back super easy to open up your bed and doesn't move a bit going down the freeway. I have had it on for two years now and it has never leaked a drop and was very easy to install. In fact, taking it off is so much easier that my old Xtang ever was. It was around $500 off Amazon.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
A bit more pricey option but I’ve been very happy with the performance and ease of use of the RollnLock cover compared to the prior cover I had.

Posts: 1145 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I have a Retrax cover. It is like an old-fashioned roll-top desk. The aluminum panels roll into a canister at the front of the bed. The cover locks. The tailgate can be opened with cover locked. Customer service is excellent.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I put a bak flip 3 section bed cover on my 2008 Ridgeline when it was new. After 14 mostly garage kept years it still works perfectly and looks good.

I'd buy another without hesitation.

This is what I put on my 2018 Titan. They are pricey, close to 1k.

Posts: 7404 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Truxedo lo pro on my Tacoma. Never any issues, I’d buy it again.

Posts: 4522 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Last truck had a low end Truxedo. Forgot the model. Eight years never garaged. No cracks or splits and never treated it with any protectant, just run it through the car wash.

Their vinyl quality at the time impressed me.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:

And made in the USA. Alabama if memory serves correct.
I have the Gator EFX hard trifold. Great cover.

Gator also makes a soft cover. Tyger is another brand similar to Gator and I believe are rebranded covers. Both are a decent covers for the lower price point. Amazon should carry both.

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I have the Tyger branded 3 fold soft cover on my truck. It has served its purpose very well for 3 years, and looks as good as new. If I was going to replace it, I would not hesitate to buy the same model.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I just put a Diamondback cover on my Tundra but ran Truxedo Lo Pro's on several trucks and was always happy with them.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
My truck had a very nice "Xatang" brand tonneau cover, but it wore out after lots of faithful service and had to pitch it. Since the truck already had it when I bought it used, I never knew enough about tonneau covers to know how it compared to other brands and models. I'd like to keep a folding, fabric type of cover, but don't know how comparable Xtang fabric/laminate covers are compared to other brands and models.

What do you guys like for fabric tonneau covers ? I'm not always price sensitive for everything when it comes to vehicle stuff, but I am for this replacement. The Xtang was simple and extemely clean looking, and not expensive compared to other types.

If you were happy with the XTang why bother with anything else?

Posts: 1725 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Bak Flip, it is very good. I bought the heavy duty model, but wished I purchased the regular model. The heavy duty is overly heavy.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I have an Access cover made by Agri-Cover Inc. I've had it since 2014 and it is still in good shape.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post