SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paging David Truong/Jewelry resizing price question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paging David Truong/Jewelry resizing price question. Login/Join 
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted
My wife hasnt been able to wear her engagement ring or wedding band for several years, so she finally decided to get it resized. We took it in to a local place that repaired a chip in one of thr bands before. They came back with a quote and also stated that one of the prongs for the center piece is broken- all 4 should be replaced so it looks the same. To go up to sizes for each white gold band and to repair the 4 prongs was $680. This seems a little steep, but I dont know. So is this a fair price for the amount of work and material required or should we shop around?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: medic451,

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
They came back with a quote and also stated that one of the prongs for the cunter piece is broken- all 4 should be replaced so it looks the same

I guess I’m not up to speed on jewelry lingo. Wink

Fixed it Roll Eyes , lol.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely whacky pricing. Much cheaper to overnight it to Dave and his teams work will be higher quality

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3617 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve watched a guy resize my wife’s ring. He literally put it on a tapered rod that was marked for sizes, slipped another ring beside it and hammered the ring to the larger size. It took all of 30 minutes from entering to leaving and he charged us $40. Granted this was a decade ago but unless he has to cut the ring and solder on another piece and clean it up.

I’d walk.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Yeah the problem is it has to go up 2.25 sizes, so I think they have to add a little white gold, plus the 4 prongs. Either way I told my wife to walk away from that deal. The woman at the jewelers called back and said since we were previous customers they would knock $200 off to get it down to $480- thats for resizing both rings and repairing all 4 center prongs. Still seems a but high to me, but my wife said she just wants it done- so she said yes.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm in the 'ship it to Dave' camp.
I was a bit of a wreck shipping my wife's from TX to Mimi's, and the insured shipping cost was nearly equal to what Dave's work cost, but the end result was so worth it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post