SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dear Diary....
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dear Diary.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I googled East Texas Piney Woods,

This is the first time that I recall someone mentioning it .

That was some interesting reading, it that may very well be an area that I'd
Like to spend 16 - 24 days in.

Do you ever miss that area of the country?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Every day

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I just got my first bill from the hospital.

85,000 dollars

That's not a typo

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Red Face

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38683 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I assume the great majority will be paid by insurance?
We continue to stand by, waiting to hear if you would like help with this.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I just got my first bill from the hospital.

85,000 dollars

That's not a typo
Is that the billed rate or the member rate (huge number either way)?

I was in the hospital last summer and the hospital's original bill was $41k and the member rate was $13.2k. On top of that, every department (lab, imaging, etc) is a "separate" company and every person who looked at me, my file, my labs, or my imaging was a "contractor." It ended up being 10 separate bills, and every bill had the member rate about 67% less than the original bill. Fortunately, I hit my out of pocket maximum about 3 hours after walking in the ER doors so my portion of bill was manageable.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
At this point, I hve no idea what insurance covers. Two days ago, my wife was on hold with COBRA for two hours because even though they said initially I was covered, they seem to be disputing this now, saying they have to see about making sure things are "up to date" for me in their system.

It's inadequate to call this wrong or immoral. This is criminal. How can anyone who sets such prices even look at their face in a mirror? I can't even begin to imagine how someone thinks the care they provided me in that two day hospital stay is worth even half of what they billed.

I'm absolutely stunned

posted Hide Post
The first step is to get an itemized bill so you can understand the charges or at least have some idea. The hospitals and some of the doctors send bills BEFORE filing with the insurance company.
In my experience I have found numerous mistakes as the billing process is often handled in another state. It takes persistence and patience to get it sorted out. There are consultants that go over bills for you and I believe some on this Forum have that expertise.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
There are consultants that go over bills for you and I believe some on this Forum have that expertise.
I don't know who that would be.

I wonder why they didn't just make it a nice, round 100,000 dollars. Such an amount makes no less sense than 85,000 dollars.

It's not as if we discussed prices with the hospital or even had the chance, or that it would matter anyway. One hospital is going to charge about the same as another.

Apparently, these people engage in financial ruination of the average guy on a regular basis. Just business as usual, huh?

Why not a million? Let's think big. They shouldn't hold back out of modesty or a sense of decency. I owe these snakes a million dollars. It might as well be that much.

posted Hide Post
I cannot recall specific names for certain, but there is expertise in billing and coding. I have read the posts. Surprisingly, hospitals do differ widely in their listed charges for MRIs, bone density scans etc.

As to the bill, it is indeed outrageous and should be viewed as such. No one pays that price. Typically, insurance companies set an allowable fee and pay a percentage of that. WIth the 85 thousand dollar amount, an allowable may be ten thousand. Who knows? The patient then pays a percentage of the allowable. THe allowable charge is often negotiable as well. Hope this helps.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, again, why not make it a million? They ask 85K, you say it may get negotiated down to 10K. If they asked a million and it turned out to be 10,000, why, I'd be left with the impression that I fleeced these hucksters, huh?

This system is perverted beyond recovery.

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree.

posted Hide Post
My Bonnie got a bill for $121,000.00
for having five stints put in , a month ago.

she talked to them for an hour and they took $80,000.00 off.

still waiting to see what medcare and medicaid will pay.

and now shes been in the hospital for three days ,
because nothing they did fixed her heart racing and shortness of breath.

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to hear that, bendable. I hope her condition improves.

I just can't believe the shamelessness of these people.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m glad you are ok Para. Sigforum has had a huge impact on me. I credit my political awakening in large part to the amazing members of this forum. When I’ve gone through some rough patches in my life the members here have helped me more than they will ever know.

I hate to think of a time where Sigforum does not exist. In fact I like to push thoughts like that out of my mind entirely. This is the place I come to for knowledge and quality conversation. This place is special. There is no other place like Sigforum on the entire internet.

Thank you Para for all that you do, I know it is not easy. I cherish my membership here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Bonnie got a bill for $121,000.00
for having five stints put in , a month ago.

she talked to them for an hour and they took $80,000.00 off.

still waiting to see what medcare and medicaid will pay.

^^^^^^^^^
Medicare and Medicaid should pay the rest. By law they cannot balance bill. In other words they cannot ask the patient to pay more than Medicare allows. The addition of Medicaid should cover the rest.

I hope that Bonnie recovers. I had a lot of difficulty with those symptoms after stent placement. It improved after a time.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good thoughts,
I am in tears when I leave ,every day.

Now they are talking about a defibulater implant.

She has no pain, just
Living at quarter speed to avoid
Shortness of breath and heart racing

posted Hide Post
I have made up my mind. Should I come down with a major illness and have treatment with a resulting 6 figure bill, I will file for bankruptcy before I pay the that kind of money. I have insurance (outrageously expensive and high deductible) and if that insurance either wont pay or wont cover the treatment, tough shit.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
At a loss for words.

We are being fleeced and told to be glad when the bill is reduced from insane down to only unbelievable.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bendable, I usually love reading your posts, but not the last couple.

Prayers for both you and your Bonnie from TampaBay.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post