SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you use a lawn service or mow/trim your own yard?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you use a lawn service or mow/trim your own yard? Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thing is, I like it. After a day on the phone and computer, a hour or two per night taking care of the place is relaxing and pleasant.

Best done with a good cigar, timed to have just enough to sit and admire your work with a beer/bourbon/scotch and the final bit of cigar...

Posts: 23544 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always mowed my own lawn. I bought a nicer Honda self propelled. It takes my son less than 30 minutes to mow the entire area. I teaching him the finer art of edging and blowing. I expect to be free of the burden in the spring.

P229

Posts: 3843 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
When I first bought my house I was really looking forward to taking care of the lawn and all the other things that homeowners do. That lasted a couple of years and then started to get really old and a PITA. Fast forward 20 or so years of hating it and I'd had enough. My old Toro gas mower finally rusted out, and I'd got to the point anyway where I despised mowing the lawn, so I hired a service to do it. Turns out they weren't very reliable, they would just not show up and reschedule for sometimes several days later. That happened multiple times. The next year I decided 'Screw that, I'll do it myself." So I went to Home Depot to buy a new gas mower. The gal there talked me into a self-propelled electric Ryobi instead, and it's been a huge relief. Much less effort expended on my part. The battery lasts long enough to do either the front or the back, but that gives me a chance to go inside and relax while the battery recharges. The mower will take a 2nd battery, which would allow me to do the whole thing in one shot, but I haven't felt the need to shell out another $150 for another battery yet.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I had an old guy that did a nice job taking care of my yard. He retired a couple years ago. I had him do it because it cost the same as a chiropractor to fix my back after I mowed and used the weedeater. We’ve had two years of terrible drought so I haven't had to mow a whole lot lately.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
DIY. You cannot beat the cost of DIY paying someone else long term. The math just isn't there. I only use a landscaper once a year as a treat to myself for doing everything else myself 95% of the time. I pay a guy to pull weeds when I flat out don't have it in me. Mowing, trimming, routine work I do myself, and I even do the weed pulling until I'm sick of it. I'm also going to convert to xeriscape at some point this year and sell all the lawn equipment. Drip irrigation is much more cost effective than sprinklers and grass.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We had a car accident several years ago and needed our lawn cared for. A local family was recommended and we've used them for 8 years! We've become close, seen their kids grow, been to their weddings. I figure the few hundred it costs is well worth it and they appreciate it.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3405 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife a John Deere Z960, 31hp zero turn mower. The lawn seems to take care of itself.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
What is your time worth.
I am an attorney so it doesnt pay for me to do it myself. Spare time is minimal with Kids around the house and baseball and softball and such, if the were in college MAYBE, but not likely in S Florida. Its just too damn hot

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5135 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post