SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brimmed hats for winter?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brimmed hats for winter? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
Any of you guys wear brimmed hats in the winter to keep your head warm? What do you wear?

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this is what you mean but I have Tilley and boonie’s for winter, mostly for rain and not the cold. For dry cold, I use cotton or wool beanies. But they actually get too warm.

Otherwise, it’s a ballcap and hooded jacket.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You looking for a ball cap style but, lined?

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
You looking for a ball cap style but, lined?

Ballcaps utilize a bill he’s asking for a brimmed hat.

Probably need to be looking at felt fedoras. Probably your best bet for a winter hat with a brim all the way around.
https://stetson.com/collections/hats-fedora-felt

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25450 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear a Cabelas LiteFelt brimmed "outback" style hat. It has fold down earflaps to keep my ears warm. Great hat! It is still sold under the Cabelas Redhead brand but I dont know if it is actually the same hat.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I typically wear a Duluth Trading hat (it isn't in the current catalog but looks a lot like this Filson. Actually I have two, one for the summer (medium) and one for the winter (large) that I wear with a helmet liner. The liner is warm enough for most days. The brim shields the sun or blocks the snow/rain. I walk, hike and shoot skeet in a winter league, the setup works well for me.

Note: the Filson is a very nice hat but too heavy for my use. The Duluth is lighter, packable and well-made.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Nope. I just wear a lined ball cap in the winter for being our and about. If I have to spend some serious time out there, I wear one of THESE .

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5054 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Pure beaver hat, from Texas Custom Hatters in Lockhart, lined with a cut section of a silk scarf.

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
$25 wool (synthetic?) western hat from TSC. You can work the brim to get an Aussie look to it.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A sporting goods store was heading out of business so I picked up a genuine US made Filson wool beanie on clearance. I have an old synthetic beanie I keep in the truck JIC. The filson is Not as initially soft as a fleece when first put on but man it’s warm.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I like my wool felt fedora. I buy ‘such hats from Bailey of Hollywood, but a fair selection of that brand is offered on Amazon. Good quality and well packaged for shipping. Many styles: fedora, homburg, bowler (like r0gue’s avatar Smile), etc.

https://www.baileyhats.com/1922

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
You may want to check Stormy Kromer hats. I have one in hunter orange for deer season and I like it quite a bit.

https://www.stormykromer.com/?...GEAAYASAAEgI15_D_BwE

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 892 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
A sporting goods store was heading out of business so I picked up a genuine US made Filson wool beanie on clearance. I have an old synthetic beanie I keep in the truck JIC. The filson is Not as initially soft as a fleece when first put on but man it’s warm.

You found a beanie with a brim?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Stetson 5X Gun Club

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You might be able to find a style to suit you at River Junction Trading:

https://www.riverjunction.com/...and-styled-hats.html

I’d probably use silicone spray on these if you wear it in rainy weather or wet snow.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning fedora, I guess they're discontinued. I've had this for well over 20 years, left over from my living in NJ. I do like wearing it when we get really inclement weather here in SW Utah.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
Any hat will help conserve heat. In KY, I'm sure there are spells of cold, but probably don't need anything too cold weather-oriented during the Winter, or something covering your ears.

I stopped wearing ball caps and jeans a few years ago. A quality wool fedora is the perfect alternative for cold weather, even when some rain is coming down. From Fall to Spring, and when up north camping, hunting, etc. I do wear a ball cap when fishing, since I have things attached to the bill and also hang sun glasses around my neck.

You can get these all over, per an internet search, even Midway sells them.

Posts: 2790 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by a brim? Ballcaps have a brim.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I have always thought a ball cap has a bill because a brim goes all the way around.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25450 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I have always thought a ball cap has a bill because a brim goes all the way around.

The Oxford dictionary definition does not support you:

"the projecting edge at the bottom of a hat"

Neither does Merriam-Webster:

"the projecting rim of a hat"

The definitions do not distinguish between a full brim or a partial brim. I will say the word "bill" probably is limited to a ball cap, as Merriam-Webster defines that as:

"the visor (see VISOR sense 2a) of a cap or hood."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post