SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just trying to buy a Colt SAA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just trying to buy a Colt SAA Login/Join 
posted
I’m new to the big gun auction site, but I’ve been lurking for years. I’ve bid on and won 3 separate auctions this week for Colt pistols. Each one has resulted in a bot trying to get me to pay with cash app, Venmo, or Zelle. The auctions appear legit. Previous sales, current listings, it all seems legit. They list terms of sale, methods of payment, but once I make contact, they return with instructions to only pay with pay apps. Is the big site really that are up with scammers?

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what your question is.
If it's Gunbroker, each auction should have terms of payment listed in the ad.
Once the auction is complete you should have access to the seller's contact info.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24177 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you’re correct. Using the email and phone numbers provided have produced return text messages from different numbers. The text messages are full of misspellings and grammatical errors. Each the same, generic instructions on how to submit payment via apps.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Report them to GB on their web page if you think it's a scam..

Zelle and Venmo are valid methods of payment for cash transfers
and it eliminates the CC fees.

IF your spidey sense tells you something is off, run from that auction.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
Yes, you’re correct. Using the email and phone numbers provided have produced return text messages from different numbers. The text messages are full of misspellings and grammatical errors. Each the same, generic instructions on how to submit payment via apps.

Hmm.... well, something sounds off. Maybe try a phone call rather than text to get a feel for the guy? Or...
Contact GB customer service and tell them of your concerns.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24177 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post