SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Wikipedia is not for sale"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Wikipedia is not for sale" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
"Wikipedia is not for sale.
A personal appeal from Jimmy Wales
Please don't scroll past this 1 minute read. This Sunday December 18th, as 2022 draws to a close, I humbly ask you to reflect on the number of times you visited Wikipedia this year, the value you got from it, and whether you're able to give $2 back. If you can, please join the 2% of readers who give. If everyone reading this right now gave just $2, we'd hit our annual goal in a couple of hours. The price of a cup of coffee is all I ask.

Wikipedia is different. No advertising, no subscription fees, no paywalls. Those don't belong here. Instead, the Wikimedia Foundation relies on readers to support the technology that makes Wikipedia and our other projects possible. Being a nonprofit means there is no danger that someone will buy Wikipedia and try to compromise its core values (emphasis mine).

If Wikipedia has given you $2 worth of knowledge this year, please donate now, it really matters."

Bite me, Jimmy

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I made the mistake of contributing $2 like 5 years ago. Disgusting to see what Wikipedia has become.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
This tells me everything I need to know about Wiki and Jimmy Wales.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4833 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Anyone else notice that during the December begging (kind of like PBS) they never give you a chance to tell them why you're not giving?

My latest reason is when last summer they changed the definition of "recession" to cover for Slo-Joe and the Democrats.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Yup, NOT for sale...It's already OWNED, by Leftists! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8910 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

I read it extensively, but just for politically neutral articles. It has nothing good to say about, for example, Donald Trump, MTG, Lauren Boebert, Mark Dice (calls him a conspiracy theorist when he is more of a satirist), or even my own congresswoman, Diana Harshbarger. I don't donate.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Wiki gives a lot of money to leftist causes. That is money donated by people to Wiki thinking they are supporting a good online encyclopedia, but most of the money passes through to leftist causes. Wikipedia's content is certainly not unbiased, but that's a different issue.

Posts: 9459 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Why does this make me think of the time those Germans wanted to buy Mr. Burns' power plant?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I can’t remember looking up anything on Wikipedia

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I use Wikipedia all the time. It's actually a valuable resource, if you can discern between fact and opinion, and if you are aware of the leftist nature of any political and social content published by them.

For historical events, Wikipedia is great. Just as a completely random example, The English Civil War, 1642-1651

Concise and factual, that page is dense with information.

But, current events? People in the news? Anything to do with American political parties or politicians or current social trends and events? Yeah, for those things, I usually look elsewhere.

Posts: 107627 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Agreed. That's the proper use of Wikipedia.

It's great for hard fact-based topics, like distant history, geography, and well-established non-hot-button-issue science.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And as far as the fearmongering by Wikipedia's owners goes (that Musk might buy Wikipedia if they don't get a bunch of money), that's just par for the course for leftists. I'd sooner throw money into a lake than give it to Wikipedia.

Posts: 107627 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I use them the same way Para does and with pretty much exactly the same caveats.

But I'm not betting on history remaining untouched seeing the lefts' proclivity to ad hoc modification in the last decade or so when it suits them (Hamilton, founding fathers etc).

Wiki can fuck off for donations.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
At the very least, a decent Wikipedia entry will have links to citations that you can go research in depth. If you think an entry is biased, you can go read the sources to form your own opinions.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Wiki can be good for some things. I will agree.
Wiki has an army of users that edit information to suit their agenda.
Judy Mikovits, who blew the whistle on Fauci and company very early on is locked out of editing her own Bio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Mikovits

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4833 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have no idea if this will ever be seen but …

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
… MTG …
The card game??

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Marjorie Taylor Greene

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8910 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that they do this once a year, but at least with PBS fundraisers they may offer a CD of The Kingston Trio's greatest hits, or Sesame Street DVD. I used them this morning to check on the latest trends in US Navy uniforms which seem to be constantly changing.

Posts: 3223 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I am saving my two dollars just in case I mistakenly walk into a strip joint some day.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post