SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I've never seen an owl in nature but...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've never seen an owl in nature but... Login/Join 
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Owls are great. We have several here around the farm and I saw one while hunting a few weeks ago. He flew right to a tree not 50 yards from me while I was in a blind. It was early, probably 30 minutes after first light.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5055 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
But that GHO was absolutely silent in his two-foot ascent. He was at least as big as a chicken too. I was amazed by that silence.

Silent flight is a characteristic of all owl species.

That’s common knowledge, but experiencing it first hand at close range is a rare experience.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9008 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I’m always a little nervous my lap dog will be a victim when she goes out to potty at night. We’ve heard them hooting in our neighborhood recently.

Posts: 1843 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
There is at least one pair of GHOs in our neighborhood, I’ve seen and heard them while walking the dogs at sunset. Also surprised one eating roadkill one night, and they have a huge wingspan!

We had a screech owl that lived in one of the cactus on our lot. I was looking for a delivery one day, went out at lunchtime and he was sitting on a light housing looking at me like “you woke me up!”

Cool birds.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Saw this one hanging out in the backyard a few months ago. I wouldn't have known it was there except for the dog staring up in the trees... It was about 16-18 inches tall.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3931 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I love owls. Have had many encounters with them - most often while I am out hunting. Last year I was in my stand before first light and had a little screech owl fly in an land on a branch about 3 feet from me. Love hearing the call of a screech owl or GHO.

Several years ago I was walking down our driveway. We have a pine on the edge and I noticed something in it. It was this little guy. If you look closely you can see the wiring in the tree for our Christmas lights.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8534 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You're lucky to get away from that fluffy ball of seething hatred alive.

Even Satan fears Screech Owls.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34146 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
We are surrounded by a state park and really close to a river on a good sized piece of land.

I call our dog, DeeOhhGee, and yodel or holler for him and these owls will go to hooting back!

They are hilarious!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5060 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post