SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Beautiful camping weather in Maryland; little ones first trip out *Basically just a bunch of pics my kids enjoying themselves*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beautiful camping weather in Maryland; little ones first trip out *Basically just a bunch of pics my kids enjoying themselves* Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I took some time off this week so I finally got around to taking some of the little ones camping. She’d been bugging me and the smallest one is finally old enough to make it a night without mama.

iPads and little Debbie’s occupied the first part which let me set up.

The older one loves gathering sticks, once the other kids showed up she was teaching em which ones to pick. She really enjoyed helping with the fire and pretty much everything which is didn’t expect as both of these are girly girls. The youngest couldn’t care less. But both enjoyed the “camping food”, hotdogs and chips, ramen in a cup.

Little one was pissed that I ruined her chocolate with marshmallow and graham crackers!

They were well worn out the first night.

Next day was breakfast at a diner since I had forgotten the eggs. Park fun for hours.

Setup is modest but I like it because it keeps everyone outside. No recliners and tv in a 40’ house on wheels. But we still have a bed to sleep in. The weather and tree cover was so nice I didn’t even have to bother with the awning.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6300 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Brings back memories! Our youngest "kid" is 48 this year, and when they were little, we went hiking & camping every weekend that I had off. Then when they hit their teen years they developed other interests.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice pics! Gotta love camping with the kids...very much looking forward to getting out with mine some this year. Nice teardrop, too! I like a hard-sided unit, and I love the towability of those things....but there are six of us so I'm sized out of the market at least until it's just me and my wife again. How has it worked for you?

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Looks like a blast. Just curious, where was that? We are headed to Swallow Falls campground, Oakland, MD this coming weekend.
The look on the little one's face is classic!

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Good times!

I hope your family enjoys it as much as we did. I can honestly say we never had a bad trip. We had things happen, flat tires, car trouble, etc., but it all worked out and we have so many enjoyable memories.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
Looks like a blast. Just curious, where was that?

Cunningham Falls State Park in Northern MD. First time there, but we'll definitely go back, was really nice.

Posts: 6300 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
How has it worked for you?

Me, my wife, and the baby sleep in the camper. The other 3 sleep on a foam mattress in the back of my wife's car. If I have my two they sleep on a foam mattress on the platform I built in the bed of the Tacoma. We COULD get a large tent, but usually it's not ALL of us. That's only happened when we travel to Florida. Most often it's me and 1-2 of the kids, and we fit in the camper just fine. My wife usually only makes it 1 day at most and shes gone back to her bed at home.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Looks like good times and good memories. Thanks for posting!

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

Cunningham Falls State Park in Northern MD. First time there, but we'll definitely go back, was really nice.

My wife & I used to be from the Gettysburg area & we camped at Cunningham Falls a couple times. It may have changed a bit in the 30-35 years since we were there last.Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Woowwwww. Just woooowwwww.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It’s an awesome park with some great hiking up to the falls and beyond. Next time you’re up there, just down the road about a mile or so is Catoctin Mountain Zoo. Mrs.BurtonRW and I have had memberships there forever. Medium sized family run operation with some awesome animals you won’t see in other zoos (and many you will).

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Building positive memories, keep it up Dad!

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Camping, family time. So nice. It doesn't get any better than that. Cool

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Cute kids and a great memorable family outing. Congrats on both.

Interesting setup you've described with that teardrop. Often wondered how they are in use. Big Grin
Yours appears to be a nuCamp Tag model, right?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Looks like tons of fun for you and the kids.

Two of our grandchildren in that same age range will get their first real camping this summer. We have reservations in a campground with flush toilets to avoid any bathroom frights from vault toilets. They've had fun pretend camping in the yard during the day and have seen lots of our pictures of the wife and I camping.

Posts: 9435 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Nice pics! Love the kids smiles!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They will remember the trip for a long time. You will remember it forever! Great job. I'm so glad I took my boys on trips. Now my oldest is taking my granson.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Great thing to do with the kids. Family time in the outdoors, it doesn't get much better.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Your kids will have great memories of this. Glad you could get away.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8522 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Haven't been there in years but it's a great spot.

About 20 minutes from there just off 70 is the trailhead that gets you on the Appalachian Trail. From that point, you can hike north to Annapolis Rocks which has a nice view, about 5 miles out and back. It's a little uphill at first but then levels out. From there you can go another mile or so to Black Rock which is another view. I've done this hike probably a dozen times.

From the same parking lot, you can go South to Washington Monument State Park which is the first monument built for Washington. There is also a parking lot there but I've only ever hiked there.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16389 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post