SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shade Tree Q/A - Help Pick/Plant new tree(s)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shade Tree Q/A - Help Pick/Plant new tree(s) Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this fits but I think we have some Chinese Pistache trees. They grow very quickly up to about 20 feet. Ours grew relatively wide like a ball (vs cone shaped or something). The leaves that fall basically just disappear - we've never had to pick up leaves. And the leaves are a nice green during summer and colorful during fall.

It's a pretty durable tree - some fertilizer and water and it's been able to survive in granite, hard ground (not even able to call our yard soil).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistacia_chinensis

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
River Birch and willows are invasive with their roots. Keep them away from your septic lines.

Oh crap Frown

We didn't think of that when we selected that River Clump Birch to replace the mature wild cherry tree it replaced. I just did a quick search.

Initial impression: That tree may have to go.

Of all the varieties of trees we could have planted there, within about 15-20' of the tee for our leach field, that River Clump Birch may have been about the absolute worst choice we could've made.

Our only other option isn't even remotely feasible: About 50' of metal barrier, 5 feet into the ground. In addition to the danger of heavy equipment and digging that close to the septic system and leach field, there's an in-ground sprinkler system and control lines in there.

It's going to depend upon how deep is our leach field. I know it's not real shallow. I think we're going to have to talk to our septic people and see what they say.

ETA: Second possible alternative: Pay someone to inspect the leach field with a scope every time we have the tank pumped. Remove tree the instant there appears to be a problem. Kind of like a regular colonoscopy for our septic system.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
American Sycamores do well there. They grow fairly quickly if water is available and make decent shade.

I went with a London Plane Tree - Platanus Hispanica. It is a hybrid between an American Sycamore and an Oriental Plane Tree. It does not require alluvial soil like the American Sycamore. It grows quite quickly and is a robust tree that can get over 100 feet tall with a 3-4 foot diameter trunk. Most city parks have them.

I planted one dead center in the backyard of my old house. We thought we were going to live there forever, but someone else is enjoying it now. After seven years of being in the ground it is over 20 feet tall.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post