SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Would Like To Research Shingles, Siding & Windows. Any Good Source?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Would Like To Research Shingles, Siding & Windows. Any Good Source? Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
We got clobbered by a hail storm recently and sustained a fair amount of damage to the house. The insurance company has come up with a figure that seems generous and is in the process of sending us the first check for the cash value of the loss. I do have replacement cost coverage, so they will also issue an additional check above and beyond the first.

House currently has vinyl siding, architectural shingle roof, and it appears to be a builder grade window.

I would like to hear what other contractors or builders have to say about the available product lines, so if you have experience I'm happy to listen. I suspect there may be other forums out there that cater to contractors. If you know of any of those that are viewable by the public, I wouldn't mind reading what they have to say as well.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15721 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Timely topic..

We just had two roofs done. One due to Hurricane Dorian damage and one due to age.
In both cases we went with the GAF architectural shingles like this..

https://www.gaf.com/en-us/roof...e-uhd/specifications

In my construction business that I recently retired from GAF shingles were all we used when the client wanted shingles.

The key to a good roof is not only the shingle but using a good installer, in the case of GAFusing a Master Elite certified installer.
You can find ones in your area by using this..

https://www.gaf.com/en-us/roof...tractors/residential

Good luck!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6323 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
In both cases we went with the GAF architectural shingles like this..

GAF samples were the ones dropped off by the contractor I used on the last house. He mentioned the HD line, which appears to have the same ratings, but is a bit thinner than those you linked.

The specific line aside, we have a steep roof and are out in the middle of the open. He said he likes the adhesion of these (same as those you linked) to prevent them from lifting in the wind. We have not had a huge problem with whatever is on the existing roof, but have lost 3 or 4 shingles to wind the last several years.

We hadn't spoken windows with him yet, but along the lines of staying with vinyl, he also dropped off a sample of Craneboard, which appears to be vinyl backed by foam.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15721 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now is the time to get the best windows, I wouldn't recommend skimping on them, since you're replacing them anyways.

Shingles SUCK when it comes to staying on with a lot of wind. I've had to have 30-50 shingles replaced, twice now, on a 2010 roof with 3 tab GAF shingles and tropical storm winds 75mph<. Metal would have been a mess after your hail storm with dents......architectural shingles might be the best way to go in your area. Here we use concrete tiles and hail doesn't bother them and they're good up to about 140 mph winds if installed correctly...…...

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Metal would have been a mess after your hail storm with dents

I have friends with metal roofs in the area. Their insurance does not cover cosmetic damage. If it takes a beating, but otherwise doesn't leak, they're on their own.

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
I'm the production manager for a $5M exteriors company. I order all the materials and run all the crews for 300+ windows/siding/roofing projects per year. Happy to talk by phone if that works. Email sent

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
My roof has Owens Corning Trudefintion Duration (made in US) architectural shingles. They’re guaranteed to 130 mph winds. Just make sure your installer registers them with Owens Corning.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have friends with metal roofs in the area. Their insurance does not cover cosmetic damage. If it takes a beating, but otherwise doesn't leak, they're on their own.

^^^^^^^^^
In the last hurricane {category 3 winds} the metal roof was bent around the edges and had to be replaced. The contractor did put it on correctly. Some metal roofs, however were not damaged.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I used these products after a lot of research:

Roofing: Certainteed Presidential TL

https://www.certainteed.com/re...esidential-shake-tl/

Siding and trim: Prefinished LP Smart Siding

https://lpcorp.com/products/ex...8Yv2P-AaArfjEALw_wcB

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Have you considered the metal roofing that looks like architectural shingles?

Like these

Or these

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Stay away from Anderson windows. I have them and they're garbage. I've got some with bad seals and water intrusion, others where the glaze has failed and made a permanent dusty look.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post