SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hugh Hewitt Op-Ed in WashPo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hugh Hewitt Op-Ed in WashPo? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
Admittedly, Hugh Hewitt isn't your everyday conservative. He's a regular on MSNBC and CNN, which shows you he's somewhat of a "token" conservative. Nevertheless, the Washington Post deems fit to publish his opinions, ostensibly as views "from the other side." Still, it's surprising to see something like this coming from the paper many refer as the Washington Compost:
--
Trump may be outside our norms. But he is succeeding for all of us.

As President Trump’s first two years in office come to a close, we’ve seen two originalist justices confirmed to the Supreme Court, 26 originalist appeals court judges confirmed, 10 more nominated , and 41 new district court judges on the bench and dozens more pending. Add to that: the repeal of the sequester on defense spending and a massive military rebuild underway; a massive tax cut of unprecedented depth and structural change; a renegotiated trade deal between the United States, Mexico and Canada; withdrawals from the awful Iran deal and, in effect, the absurdist Paris accord; the rollback of job-killing and bureaucrat empower regulations by the hundreds; an economy surging while unemployment drops to 3.7 percent ; and a new entente in the Middle East (one that arose despite U.S. recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel) that sees the United States and Israel aligned and cooperating closely with Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Bahrain and now a new government in Iraq against the expansionist Iranian theocrats.

Did I mention the devastation and defeat of ISIS in its physical “caliphate?

That’s not even the entire list of accomplishments, but it’s enough to have silenced the #NeverTrumpers who used to mock Trump-supporting conservatives by posting a street sign carrying the name “Gorsuch” above rising floodwaters. Those of us who follow the president’s often confusing, loud, extemporaneous and disruptive presidency not by his tweets but by his administration’s deeds and those of congressional Republicans are amused that the #NeverTrump rump has stopped the “but Gorsuch” nonsense.

Many of the successes, especially with regard to the judiciary, are because of the unparalleled skill of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), supported by Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) and the Senate GOP caucus, which has almost always held together as a whole. McConnell is, as I’ve said before, the single most effective congressional leader the GOP has had in my lifetime. And it looks as if his majority will grow in November. The Republican House Majority may be preserved as well. Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) and Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and their caucus crafted and passed the tax bill as well as 14 Congressional Review Act resolutions and the robust military spending bills. Republican candidates should point both to the achievements outlined above and the rapidly expanding economy in their closing campaigns.

They should also dwell on the prospect of the enraged left controlling anything in government. Democrat Jerrold Nadler (N.Y.), who would take the gavel of the House Judiciary Committee, has already promised a pursuit of Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh to satisfy his party’s fringe. Democrat Maxine Waters (Calif.), who would gain the gavel of the House Financial Services Committee, has urged the physical pursuit of her Republican colleagues across and out of public places. The radical rump of the Democrats, led again by Rep. Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), would set out to destroy the Trump economic momentum and to paralyze the regulatory rollback with a hundred hearings and inquisitions.

Trump is as wearying today as Andrew Jackson must have been in 1829 to the people of both parties who are used to different rules sets. I am one of them. Thus my criticisms of the president are many and detailed. But my fear of the wild-eyed left is far greater than my discomfort with his bull-in-china shop politics.

The left, we saw this week and last, contrasts unfavorably with the president’s hyperbole and occasional cruelty. It is now a snarling, enraged collective scream. To give it power would be to risk fraying even further the common bonds of citizenship. Best for them to spend a long time in the wilderness, as the “San Francisco Democrats” of 1984, so very wrong about the Soviet Union, needed to endure.

After the attempted sliming of Kavanaugh, voters must not reward that outburst of the new McCarthyism in the least or it will be repeated. Review the first few paragraphs above. Vote to repeat those sorts of achievements instead of empowering the enraged mobs. Don’t just return the Republicans. Increase their majorities and increase prosperity and security, judicial restraint and free enterprise even as we collectively figure out a president who may be outside our national norms for the office, but who is succeeding for us all.

Link

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's pretty late getting on the bandwagon. If not a rabid Never Trumper, he was close. But anyway, what we're seeing is that the shrieking from the left about how the election of Trump would bring about the literal end of the world is back firing on them in the face of a strong economy, low unemployment and foreign policy successes. "Normal" people are pretty happy overall.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Have either of the above two posters ever actually listened to Hewitt’s radio show? Especially before 11/8/16 when he said “We have a binary choice”...if you don’t vote for Trump you support Hillary.
He is on MSNBC because that is the only conservative point of view their viewers get. Yes, that makes him a “token conservative” for MSNBC but a real one nonetheless.
His op-ed piece is no surprise at all. As usual, it is well-written and well-argued.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I used to listen to Hewitt every morning until I retired now I'm not in the vehicle to listen when he's on. He's conservative for the most part however he did waffle quite a bit on Trump in the begining but once he came around he went pretty hard core Trump.

He's a Mueller fan boy which is the only real knock I have on him.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Have either of the above two posters ever actually listened to Hewitt’s radio show?

No, but I have seen him on several Sunday morning show round table discussion panels (not MSNBC) and his conservative views were unimpressive.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Listened to him on radio enough to know that he was just a so so conservative. Still remembered he was a cheerleader for Harriet Miers, when she was nominated by Bush 43 to replace O'Connor in 2005.

Q

Posts: 26497 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
He spends more time spouting about Relief Factor and paraphrasing other peoples work, than any original thoughts.
I want Bill Bennett back.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:
I want Bill Bennett back.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This right here!

I've been EXTREMELY unhappy with some of the things that have come out of Hewitt's pie hole. He's not a closet Libtard like his buddy Michael Medved, but there have been mornings when I just had to turn off his bloviating and listen to some Contemporary Christian on my drive to the airport. Yes...I miss Bill Bennett and his early morning show.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post