SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Balance shoes and static electricity
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Balance shoes and static electricity Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
If I have my New Balance shoes on and I touch anything metal or plugged in, I get a massive shock. Other shoes, nothing. It's terrible and rather violent. There's got to be something I can do beyond installing anti-static mats throughout the house. Any advice.

Anyone that wants to chime in with a "don't wear shoes in the house" can save that noise for your own thread because I get the same effect in the house or getting out of the car when I go to close the door or at a store (less shock at a store though).

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
There is something called an "anti-static insole". I have no experience with them and have no idea if they work well.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
That's a feature designed to keep you on your toes.
Keep wearing them until you build up a resistance. (Too soon?)

Don't buy New Balance?

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
That's a features designed to keep you on your toes. (Too soon?)
Don't buy New Balance?
They're the only does that don't cramp my toes into the front end of the shoe though.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
There is something called an "anti-static insole". I have no experience with them and have no idea if they work well.
I'm willing to try this. Edit - looks like they only work with ESD footwear. Crud!

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
I'm willing to try this.

Be sure to give us a review if you try them. I have New Balance also (love them). I'll have to pay attention next time I wear them if I get static shocks.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be sure to give us a review if you try them. I have New Balance also (love them). I'll have to pay attention next time I wear them if I get static shocks.
Looks like they only work with ESD shoes.

posted Hide Post
Use a humidifier in your home.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ That will help, but it still makes me wonder why this brand gives you shocks while others don't. Are we talking other athletic shoes?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
You need grounding straps

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with a pair of shoes at work, walk across carpet and then touch a metal filing cabinet and it would light you up.

Solution was to put fabric softener in a bottle and spray the carpet, So you could spray the inside of the truck as well as the inside of the shoes but I'd venture your issue is the material in the new balance shoes used to make the soles.

Nonetheless softener will make you smell spring fresh...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Use a humidifier in your home.

This will help. Made major difference in my house.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Attach a ground wire to your willie. Let it trail down your pant leg and brush the earth.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
If you’re indoors learn to touch the wall first.
Been there and done that.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
This is going to sound strange, but what about putting a dryer sheet in each shoe? Either between sock and shoe or in between the insole and shoe (if removable). If they keep static down in the dryer...just a thought. Bonus,if it works, your shoes smell purty.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
How about an anti-static spray like Static Guard? Supposed to work amazingly well on clothes, and shoes are clothes.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Maybe you should keep a pack of rechargeable batteries in your back pocket. Might as well get some benefit out of this right?

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Attach a ground wire to your willie. Let it trail down your pant leg and brush the earth.

Ow. In so many ways.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Just be careful not to step on the wire with the other foot. And choose your slow dance partner carefully.

Oh yeah: And don't use an alligator clip to attach it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The shoes insulate you from the ground. As you move, you're picking up static electricity as part of your movements. You discharge each time you touch something.

While not the best answer, I'd recommend evaluating the type of shoes you wear as a default. Other types of shoes (non-athletic) may help.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post