SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Balance shoes and static electricity
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Balance shoes and static electricity Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Attach a ground wire to your willie. Let it trail down your pant leg and brush the earth.
Big Grin this is the way!

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
This is going to sound strange, but what about putting a dryer sheet in each shoe? Either between sock and shoe or in between the insole and shoe (if removable). If they keep static down in the dryer...just a thought. Bonus,if it works, your shoes smell purty.
I tried it but it's short lived. It seems to work for about half hour.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Maybe try a different model New Balance? I wear these and don't suffer from excessive static shocks.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I literally feel your pain but for me it’s my crocs. I sit on my couch wearing my crocs and when I get up the first thing I touch releases enough energy to power the block for an hour. I actually get gun shy towards the end of winter and my wife begins to mock my trembling as I reach toward anything with metal after I get up. She doesn’t understand.

Last year I fried a stereo by touching it, honest to god.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
That's a feature designed to keep you on your toes.
Keep wearing them until you build up a resistance. (Too soon?)

Don't buy New Balance?

I don’t know the OP but according to my nephew if you’re over 50 you wear NB.
Yes I wear NB.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:

Don't buy New Balance?

Yes I wear NB.
While I am 50, I've worn NB since I was about 26. They're the only athletic shoe that has ever fit properly.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Don't buy New Balance?

Yes I wear NB.
I think this is true because the lady at Shoe Carnival picked them out for me. She said they have been advised many times. After dealing with sciatica for months, I have the 608V5 in wide width because I have ducky feets. I havnt learned to walk in them but after wearing my safety toe shoes, the 608s are sure comforting beneath me.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yep, back in the 80s New Balance was the only major athletic shoe that came in wide sizes for us duckies. Maybe it's different now, but it's also a good shoe so why change.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16352 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Attach a ground wire to your willie. Let it trail down your pant leg and brush the earth.

Jhe, you're in very fine form tonight. That was an excellent idea, extremely creative. Fortunately I wasn't drinking milk tonight.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Yep, back in the 80s New Balance was the only major athletic shoe that came in wide sizes for us duckies. Maybe it's different now, but it's also a good shoe so why change.
Yeah I have been wearing NB since the 80’s when they were new and cool.

I wear them now because I have never found something that fits me better. It seems that most of the people that wear them today have worn them for years which is why they are viewed as an old persons shoe by the youngsters. I only learned this about 6 months ago.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
quote:

Don't buy New Balance?

Yes I wear NB.
While I am 50, I've worn NB since I was about 26. They're the only athletic shoe that has ever fit properly.

I'm 67 and work in a running store. First, I'd be careful saying your shoes are "athletic." Many of the shoes you can buy from New Balance, Nike, and others are "casual" or "walking" shoes. They only LOOK like athletic shoes. For the record, I wear Brooks Ghost and Saucony Triumph for running. And for nothing else.

As for the static, I'd venture it isn't the shoe, per se, but perhaps the only shoes you wear that have a rubber outsole and a foam midsole. New Balance makes more models of shoe than Carter has liver pills (sorry, I couldn't think of a more modern analogy). Static electricity generally develops in very dry environments, and an imbalance of electrons in positive and negative charges exists. A pretty good, simple explanation can be read here: https://www.sciencemadesimple.com/static.html

The rubber in the soles of your shoes should be insulators, not conductors. If you've had the shoes for a while, it may be that the soles have worn out and now you have a "leak" in them that allows a static charge to emit. Maybe try a newer shoe?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have to deal with static mitigation for safety on a daily basis at my job. We have wrist straps, conductive mats/containers, conductive/static dissipative work surfaces, relative humidity monitors, etc.

Your shoes are isolating you from the floor much better than other shoes you own. It is likely that the particular rubber/sole structure is a more affective insulator. Anything of extremely low conductivity between your skin and the floor can exacerbate this effect- insulating liners, socks, the lack of a sweat layer.

Easy mitigations that are more practical for home use than ionized blowers, wrist straps, or leg stats include:

1. Different shoes.
2. You can attempt using an anit-static spray or wipe on the soles. These can be a bit “meh”.
3. Increase your home’s humidity.
4. Change up what clothes you wear. Much of the static buildup (since you are isolated from the floor) is being generated on your body. Clothing rubbing, sitting/standing, hair combing/moving are all generators of triboelectric charges. If you wore a velvet tracksuit and then went naked (with your shoes on for both), I’d bet there would be a big difference.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Curb feelers ? !

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wear Brooks Ghost and Saucony Triumph for running

Thanks for this info.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38676 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Lightly touch your keys to offending surfaces first. You will still feel a surge as the energy discharges but it will be noticeably less painful.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the willie strap idea the best so far...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm well over 50

For running I'm still wearing the ASICS for which a running store fitted me after analyzing my gait. During strength training over the last thirteen years I've worn Skechers--because that's what I had, New Balance Minimus Trainers and, currently, Under Armour cross-trainers. For just knocking-about I've been wearing Timberland waterproof sneakers, when I'm not wearing boots, for years.

Basically, I wear whatever feels good on my feet and is affordable.

Btw: I really liked those New Balance Minimus cross-trainers, but the tops of the toe area wore-through after only a couple years. So I'd be disinclined to purchase New Balance again any time soon.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and inch long nail through the bottom of your shoe and into your foot should sufficiently ground you as well! Wink

Unfortunately I don't have any serious recommendations... I have this same problem with my house slippers... Rubber soles and shearling liner causes a huge buildup of static. There were a few times where I tripped the arc fault breaker just touching the light switch. Good luck.

FWIW - I always wear new balance as well (black ones, not white! Wink ) and haven't had an issue of excessive static shocks with any of those that I can remember.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
and inch long nail through the bottom of your shoe and into your foot should sufficiently ground you as well! Wink

Unfortunately I don't have any serious recommendations... I have this same problem with my house slippers... Rubber soles and shearling liner causes a huge buildup of static. There were a few times where I tripped the arc fault breaker just touching the light switch. Good luck.

FWIW - I always wear new balance as well (black ones, not white! Wink ) and haven't had an issue of excessive static shocks with any of those that I can remember.

Shawn

Shouldn't you be wearing Red Wings? Wink

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38676 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Try New Balance 589v1 Men's Composite Toe Electrical Hazard Athletic Work Shoe

Link

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post