SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you know anyone who actually wants an electric car?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know anyone who actually wants an electric car? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted
Got to thinking the other day about all the new rides that are coming out in the near future.
Heard that there is no new or redesigned internal combustion engine in the works from any manufacturer.
Works great since the auto manufacturers can get the EPA off their backside and tell them to talk to the power company.

Question:
Are you really wanting or driving that electric car as a primary ride, or are you driving a...

Choices:
Yes! I want an electric or drive one now.
Diesel is where it is at!
A V twin is playing my song.
Four of them get me to where I need to go and gets great mileage.
Five of them work for me.
Six with or without a turbo get my engine running.
Eight is great! That sound!
Ten of 'em are a symphony of cylinders.
Twelve or more to get me to the store.
No Rotor = no motor.
Don't need a car. Not my problem.

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to have one as a daily driver after driving a buddies Tesla. It has zero to do with the environment though. It was just perfect for everyday duties. Super fast making jumping into holes in traffic simple all while being nice and quiet.

I also would rarely ever need to stop at a gas station other than for my weekend fun car which I only drive 4-5k a year. I never drive father than the Tesla’s range and if for some strange reason I would I could rent a car for the weekend or take my wife’s if I didn’t want to take my weekend car.

Posts: 3934 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
I am the only "yes" so far. The Rivian pickup, or SUV, something like 0-60 in 3 seconds.

Rivian

$69K to start though, so that is a hefty no thank you.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
When I bought my current home almost three years ago, it came with a EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment, or "charging plug"). Wanting to find out what this EV stuff was all about, I set out to find one that a) wouldn't break the bank, and b) wouldn't replace my Mercedes coupe.

Well, I found an all-electric smart fortwo, a 2015 model, that I bought for cash. I put new brakes and tires on it, and off I went.

Here it is, nearly three years later, and the EV has become my daily driver. It hasn't COMPLETELY replaced my Merc, but I've kept the mileage low on the Benz while putting about 20K on the smart. It isn't perfect (I have to get the A/C worked on, and now the seat belt has to be manually closed), but most of my driving is 6, 8 up to 20 miles, so a round trip is easier and sometimes quicker than having the MB warm up!

EV technology has been improving rapidly. The newer models have a range comparable to gasoline-powered cars. When Mercedes starts putting the all-electric EQV in showrooms, I'll definitely consider getting one!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I would be interested if they had about 3x the current range and would recharge in under 30 minutes.
Until they get there, I'll stick to gas.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16539 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
They remind me of glocks. Yes they do the job , but they are sterile and soul less. Compared to ICE vehicles. NO engine sound. Thats half the fun of a sports car.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If I had enough money to that dropping a $100,000 for a fun car, would have no effect on how I live I would take a Tesla Model S. The range would be fine for my daily driving and I would have something else for when it wasn't.

Although I would likely want something like a BMW M5 first so I would have to have a lot of extra disposable cash.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
It would never be my only vehicle until it's capable of an 800 mile range. That's about the limit of what I'd want to drive in a day, and I'm not sitting waiting on recharging in the middle of a drive. It takes a lot less time to pour gas in a tank and get back to full than it does to charge up an electric car.

Basically, batteries still have a long way to go before I'd buy one.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted Yes, but won't happen for me until technology can economically allow home PV system to charge up the car overnight or quicker. I live in a state with plentiful sunlight but the cost of electricity is high.

Posts: 3233 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
My coworker has a Volt that he'll be "saving money" with until he pays it off. Big Grin

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I might consider one if they can get to a 500 mile range and a recharge time of an hour or so. Until then I have zero interest and wouldn't even consider one.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
If they had a 400+ mile range, and full recharge in the time it takes to pump 25 gallons of gasoline, and cost no more than an IC vehicle, sure. Until then the government, car industry and greenies can go pound sand.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If something electric is equal cost to a traditional vehicle, more reliable, had less fluids to leak and less stuff to overheat, that sounds good.

Posts: 2371 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I want one to fuck the State out of highway tax money.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8402 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Already own a PHEV.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Three apply to us, V-Twin, 6 and 8. Sixes are dd's eights, one of them runs at present, another is in project car status and they will not come out until the salt is long gone.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8141 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I would be interested if they had about 3x the current range and would recharge in under 30 minutes.
Until they get there, I'll stick to gas.

Yep. The tech just isnt where it needs to be yet.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17308 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Tesla for me.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'd like one as a commuter. My work has them as "service vehicles," and one advantage is that you don't have to wait for them to warm up. Instant heat when the car is turned on. You can also set it like a thermostat, to be say 70 in the car at 9am.

I'm interested in the Subaru that is supposed to be coming out.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
I want one to fuck the State out of highway tax money.

Right now they can, once population of EV's reaches any significant portion of overall on road travel, and road tax revenue drop too far the EV's will be taxed on a per mile use with the plate purchase based on weight, and miles traveled.

Frankly they should now, they use the roads, they need to help pay for them...

Ass Gas or Grass ain't nobody getting to ride for free! Big Grin

Posts: 23602 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post