SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chihuahua owners help Re: The potty thing.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chihuahua owners help Re: The potty thing. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
We really adore the new addition to our family. Everyone loves her. She has personality, gets along with our heeler mix (loves her). Like the kitty's. Has adapted very well. Have two issues.

Will take an occasional dump and pee inside once or twice a week on average. Have never had one and since so tiny do not know if this is something due to their ability to hold it or if there is some behavior issue at play.

Second issue is my wife has trimmed her nails maybe twice. Got the quick both times. Now it is a no go. Any advice on getting her over that.

Thanks all.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19208 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tiny/toy breed dogs are notoriously difficult, if not impossible to fully house break.

As for the toenails, get a grinder instead of cutting. Much less traumatic for everyone involved.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
Our little Lulu was having housebreaking issues when my sons family had her. After we inherited/adopted her from them and she packed up with our other two we’ve had no issues. They all go out and one of us watches closely until she does her business. A lot of times she’ll pee twice on one trip outside, which to me means she doesn’t get it done the first time, so if we’d brought her right in she still had more to get out.
She really likes to pee after the others go, when she sees them pee she’ll go right over and pee where they did. Wants to be the alpha girl I think!
She doesn’t have the run of the house, we just have to kinda know when she needs to go out.
As for the nails, I can’t do it and my wife won’t even try. I do the other two and we just suck it up and pay to have lulu done, not sure where my wife takes her but I think it’s ten bucks.
She’s our first little one and she’s great, but definately more challenging than any others we’ve had.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Did you get the dog as a puppy? Did you crate train her just like any other dog?

quote:
Second issue is my wife has trimmed her nails maybe twice. Got the quick both times. Now it is a no go. Any advice on getting her over that.

Ooh sorry, that's a bad one. Cut my dogs quick once 11 years ago and to this day he will NOT let me cut his nails.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
It takes a little patience but they are very smart.If he every went inside it was I forgot to take him at his time.
I also always had his nails ground every two weeks. Yes their nails grow very fast.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We got her at six to eight months. Yes, smart as a whip with a great personality. She is a keeper for sure.

MelissainDallas kind of confirms my suspicions.

Thanks guys and gals. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19208 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If she know the meaning of the word NO !!! Show her the potty that she did and tell her NO !!! They know what they did. Keep doing this. I hope this helps. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
They can absolutely be trained: it depends on how persistent you are. Most people ignore/miss that tiny occasional mess instead of being firm, and the little one learns they can sneak off and get away with it. A tiny stain is hard to notice if you’re not paying attention. I have one that would never go in the house. I have another that might sidle off if I let him..(intact male marking).

You need to put him on a very strict schedule and adhere to that schedule. What goes in must come out and typically they’re pretty regular - it just depends on what’s regular for that little one. For example, I have one that will go out in the morning pee, come in, have her breakfast and then needs to go back out to poop.
The others do it all in one run, but once I learned what worked for her, we haven’t had any trouble.

If you haven’t crate trained, consider doing so. That is the best way to house train, because they typically will not mess their crate and then they will learn to hold it and go out at regular intervals instead of sneaking off. You must be consistent as well if you expect the dog to be reliable. It needs to believe you’re going to let him out when he needs to be let out, otherwise you’re right back at square one. I have a pretty strict training schedule- if you want a copy you can email me. Best of luck!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5331 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post