SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Judges, we must start taking names and holding them accountable
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judges, we must start taking names and holding them accountable Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I check the local news through a few news outlets. Most I have to hold my nose and read.
I always end up on the
https://cwbchicago.com/
web site.
They offer the local news with the back story included.I get to the point that its hard to read the story because in almost all crime stories it includes the Judges name and how they deal with multi offenders and the past record for that offender or offenders and how often they have been arrested, charged, and NOT incarcerated.
I know IL. now has cashless bond but most all these offenders have been charged with violent crimes with firearms and most are career criminals.They are almost all released.
These Judges MUST be held accountable.
Its a waste of time and resources to have police arrest these criminals only to allow them to commit more crime and go back on the street and continue to commit crimes.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about getting rid of Kim Foxx? Not a judge but Cook County State's Attorney. An even bigger problem.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It starts with foxx,
Then you need to know who these Judges are, then it’s on to our resident fatass governor who appointed the parole board.

I don’t know how many hundreds of times I sat at 26th & Cal (one of Cook County’s Courthouses) and watched as my offender got probation on a non probationary case, the judge hinting that the offender may want to “take a plea” to a lesser charge on a bench trial…

The bad thing is, if you’re not involved in the system in some way, no one really pays attention to who the judges are, especially come election time.

As to the Armored’s comment on CWB:
They are probably the ONLY ones reporting on actual crime and the backgrounds of those offenders. But if you’re toting water for the democratic machine here in Chicago, why would you report what happened behind the scenes?

Here’s another decent blog that has some interesting information:

https://www.chicagocontrarian.com/

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
We need to start making things compulsory. Remove some of the discretion judges have today. And if there is data that suggests a judge is partisan and not blind, statutorily remove them from office.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12729 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
How about getting rid of Kim Foxx? Not a judge but Cook County State's Attorney. An even bigger problem.

DIM Foxx is not running for re-election, she will be replaced in the Nov. election.
There is a Republican running but I think he is as bad or worse than one of the Dems running in the next few weeks primary. One of the Dems is HORRIBLE the other is tolerable (Burke, I actually agreed to let a couple of Her yard signs go up on my front lawn because my neighbor is running for Democratic Committee man and had his own sign he asked to put up. My Wife is besides herself that I allowed a Dem sign on our property). The sole Republican was always a Dem from the "Wild West" side of the city.He lost his Alderman seat because his district was changed, thus he became a Republican.
Chicago = HOPELESS!

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
So, yes there are bad prosecutors and judges.

But, the larger problem is that in many cases it’s the state legislature that is setting up the revolving door of Justice. If they spend money incarcerating people, they can’t have money to funnel to friends and ultimately line their own pockets.

In the name of reform, they build new and more layers to keep from locking people up.

It’s a problem as bad as the judges.

In EVERY case here where people have called for the judges to resign, they had to follow the laws that intentionally tie their hands so the money doesn’t have to be spent on incarceration. We can’t elect people to any office because they’re a “nice guy” or had a “good family”. Or that they have catchy TV ads or they belong to this 2A group. If they don’t deliver, they need to be primaried out.

We have long been told that society “can’t arrest its way out” of this or that problem. In the last four years, we’ve found that we can’t not arrest our way out of it either.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
If they don’t follow the law or do the right thing in the event of ambiguity, then they’re not doing their jobs. The same goes for prosecutors or in any position we laughingly call the Justice system

Posts: 53195 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Some states elect judges and other states appoint them. The public can get rid of the ones they don't want in states where they are elected in the next election. I don't know how you can get rid of one in the other states.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
The public can get rid of the ones they don't want in states where they are elected in the next election.

I'm in one of those states, and even though we are able to kick them to the curb, it is difficult to do so. There is very little (read nonexistent) information available to the average voter on the stances of any judge or their records. There is no way of knowing how or what they are going to rule. Sad to say, but judges here are elected by whether or not their name sounds good or which position they are listed on the ballot.

It is an imperfect system and I would like to see changes in it to include information on their party affiliation. This goes for other races as well. The commies in these parts have gone to not advertising their party affiliation on any campaign material (some republicans are doing it as well), and uninformed voters do not know who or what they are supporting and just voting as above. I'm certain that this is exactly what they (the left) want, but it needs to change.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stop putting women at that bench and most of the issues would resolve.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 333 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
In our state, every woman judge we have is highly political. Several have been caught either accepting bribes or rather...favors, and all of them judge heavily in favor of a certain political party. That said...I don't think its primarily a gender issue, and I wouldn't favor sexual discrimination in the hiring or appointing of judges. As mentioned...the true fix is to not allow obvious political leanings and favoritism. We have activist judges. That needs to stop.

I support holding all public officials accountable for bad behaviors and abuses of power. IF it can't be done through clean and nice channels, then the people will be forced to use whatever tools are effective. We're at that point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
We're at that point.

We're beyond that point, IMO.

Considering that in the 60s, when political assassination seemed to be in vogue and we were far less divided than we are today, I am honestly surprised that we haven't seen it happen. Yet.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
If a judge releases a violent criminal when the evidence is apparent to a deaf mute, and that criminal commits a crime, the judge should be held and charged as an accessory to that crime.

From shoplifting to murder. If the criminal should be in jail but isn’t, the judge pays a price.

When several are sentenced to long prison sentences, the attitude on the bench will change from social experimentation to enforcing the law.

Posts: 53195 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So "The Fix is in" as they say...
The Race for Cook Co States Attorney's Office is less than 1% difference.
***Right now*** O'Neill-Burke is ahead by (+/-) 9,500 votes over Clayton Harris.

But the mail in votes haven't been counted yet.
If Harris wins, I believe the technical term is "We're FUCKED".

But we get what we deserve...

Harris is going to be worse than Foxx

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Wink Wink Wink

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
So "The Fix is in" as they say...
The Race for Cook Co States Attorney's Office is less than 1% difference.
***Right now*** O'Neill-Burke is ahead by (+/-) 9,500 votes over Clayton Harris.

If Harris wins, I believe the technical term is "We're FUCKED".

But we get what we deserve...

Harris is going to be worse than Foxx

We should just have a flag that flies with the Chicago/Cook County/State of IL. flags that reads, We're FUCKED.
We still have the election in November to vote for the Republican but I feel he is possibly as bad or worse that the Dems.
I will still vote for the Republican.

posted Hide Post
People don't like politicians
People don't like lawyers

A judge is a lawyer AND a politician. Why would anyone think the are better?

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I live and work in a small, conservative, overwhelmingly Republican county, and the same crap happens here. Nobody is held accountable, and they actively look for ways to keep from locking people up. We don't even have bond hearings in most cases...unless the prosecutor specifically requests a hold, anybody who goes to jail and fails to post bond gets released on their own recognizance in 48 hours automatically.

It takes over a year typically to get anybody actually sentenced, in which time they're out racking up more charges, and when they finally get sentenced, it's almost always probation, work release, community corrections...anything but locking them up.

Misdemeanor stuff is a given...they're not doing jail time beyond maybe a weekend. But I'm talking about major felonies, too. We had a lady a couple of years ago who set a car on fire (not hers), then confronted deputies with a shotgun when they got called by the FD to investigate. We had a 3 hour standoff with her in the freezing cold, called out SWAT, finally got her to give up and found a bunch of meth. She got charged with arson, intimidation with a deadly weapon, possession of meth, and a number of other things. Recently sentenced to probation.

We had a guy last year who was involved in multiple vehicle pursuits, auto thefts, felony drug dealing, and weapons charges. I was personally involved in a foot pursuit with him and a separate vehicle pursuit, in which we found a loaded shotgun in the car (he's a convicted felon). There were several others that I was not involved in during that same timeframe. We caught him multiple times, and they kept letting him out. Then he ended up getting arrested for something in the county north of us, at which point he stole a squad car, was involved in a pursuit that ended with him crossing state lines and destroying the squad car, finally getting caught in Michigan. They arrested him, took him to the hospital, where the doc said he needed heart surgery due to a pre-existing condition. The arresting agency, not wanting to pay for that, promptly washed their hands of him and released him on his own recognizance. At which point he walked out of the hospital (without sticking around for that surgery that he so desperately needed Roll Eyes), stole a pizza delivery car from out front, and skedaddled. He came back to our county and our guys tracked him down and caught him again...last I heard they finally decided to keep him in jail until trial this time, but apparently that's what it takes to get that done around here.

The system has become all about money. These "alternative sentencing" programs are a cash cow, funded by fees and grants. There's all sorts of financial incentives built into the system to keep people out of prison, and it's sold to the public as "rehabilitation", but it's really all about the money. In contrast, it costs money to keep people locked up...but that's just the cost of doing business, IMO. The whole point of jail/prison isn't about fixing the people who are in there. It's about separating them from society and protecting the public from their continued criminal behavior. The system as it stands is utterly failing at that. It's not just the judges...it's the whole framework.

Posts: 8583 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post