SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Most accurate 9mm range ammo?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most accurate 9mm range ammo? Login/Join 
posted
What are some of the most accurate brands of 9mm ammo for use at the range with a good, accurate gun? I just dove into the 9mm world for the first time ever and could use some advice.

Thanks,

Pat

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

John F. Kennedy

Posts: 169 | Registered: April 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
For me, it's been Fiocchi, Geco, S&B.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It depends on your definition of range ammo. I think of it as low-priced, "generic" FMJ, or "just blastin'" ammo. Every gun and load is a law unto itself for accuracy. You'd need to perform testing with your gun and several selections to determine the best. If you're willing to step up in price, and it is still available, Federal 9BP (115-grain, standard pressure, "Hi-Shok" conventional hollow-point) has a good reputation for accuracy. There is a load they call "Train & Defend" that appears to be the same thing.

Posts: 27977 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Match-grade Ammo
Match-Grade 9mm Ammo?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By "range" ammo I am talking about non-defensive shooting at the range or outdoors, just for fun target shooting.

Pat

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

John F. Kennedy

Posts: 169 | Registered: April 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My gen 5 G19 will send cheap ass Tula into an IDPA plate at 100 yards easily if I’m having a good day. I don’t get too worried about the quality of range ammo for pistols. I don’t have any idea if my gun just likes that ammo or what but it works pretty well for me. But if I get brass case ammo I usually like federal or S&B or ppu.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pat@Nexus:
By "range" ammo I am talking about non-defensive shooting at the range or outdoors, just for fun target shooting.

Then it doesn't really much matter. Winchester White Box (WWB), Blazer Brass, Sellier and Bellot, Fiocchi, Federal American Eagle, whatever. 9mm range fodder is pretty much 9mm range fodder. Try 'em all and find out which one best suits your handgun and go with that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
9mm range fodder is pretty much 9mm range fodder. Try 'em all and find out which one best suits your handgun and go with that.

Yep... Try 'em all.
I kind of like the Fiocchi in one gun, Federal American Eagle in another. Strange, I know.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24156 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've found Lawman pretty accurate in my G19. Slightly more punch then most target ammo and it's pretty consistent. It functions fine in short barrel G43 but not as accurate as with longer barreled guns. I've not found a really good practice grade ammo for short barrels. Hornady Critical Defense, short barrel shoots fine but is pricey.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pat@Nexus:

Pat

I guess whatever is on sale fits your description, but I don't shoot this even when I'm shooting just for fun.

I buy training ammo that is designed to mimic the ballistics of my defensive ammo. I do look and buy in bulk when it is on sale. My last purchase was at $11 a box and right now I Target Sports USA has it priced at $9.95 per box with free shipping on the case I just ordered. This is the advantage of planning ahead and buying when stuff is on sale.

Federal Premium LE 9mm HST 147g (P9HST2) is my defensive ammo.
Federal American Eagle 9mm 147g (AE9FP or AE9N2) is my training or just for fun ammo

Both of these products have the same ballistics:

click here for Federal HST 147gr Ballistics Specs:
click here for American Eagle 147gr Ballistics Specs:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sleepla8er,

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on the gun, but I've found 3, I only shoot FMJ at the range.

Blazer brass 115/124 grain
Federal AE 124 grain

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
My P210 likes the geck 124 gr. Works well in P320 X5 too

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
147 grain match or subsonic is pleasant to punch holes with.

Posts: 428 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Speer Lawman, since it's designed to shoot the same as Speer Gold Dot, which is what I carry. Runs $10/box online.

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Whenever I want my bullets to go where I am aiming, I think of the word, "Federal".

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, its Fiocchi or Federal American Eagle. I buy when either is on sale.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I use American Eagle, Blazer Brass, GECO, and MagTech, buying whatever is cheapest. They are all 100% reliable in my guns and are as accurate as the shooter. I really don't think it matters. FWIW I always use 124gr of the above selections.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting at 15 yards or less, off hand, the accuracy of the ammo is going to be 1% of any accuracy problem. 98% will be the shooter and trigger. 1% for the gun inherent accuracy.

-c1steve

Posts: 4061 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I like S&B and Fiocchi.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
If you are shooting at 15 yards or less, off hand, the accuracy of the ammo is going to be 1% of any accuracy problem. 98% will be the shooter and trigger. 1% for the gun inherent accuracy.

That's the most honest so far!

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post