SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insulating a garage door, do I need to change the springs?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insulating a garage door, do I need to change the springs? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
About those springs: Do you realize how dangerous they are?

There are many, many things around the home I'd work on. Those springs are one thing I wouldn't go anywhere near.

I agree. When they break, there is a very loud noise.

OP didn't specify if it is the single overhead wound spring (dangerous!) or the dual stretched-over-top-of rail type (not that dangerous if not under tension)

Single overhead wound spring. And yes, I am aware, I will not even attempt to touch those.

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
My doors have about a half inch wide channel built into the inside edges of each panel. I bought and cut styrofoam insulation with white backing at Lowes to fit into the channels, supported at 3rd points with those insulation rods then put white duct tape over the rods to be sure the rods didn't move or fall out on my car.

Has worked like a champ for years, and did nothing to the doors or springs or motor. Made a world of temperature difference inside the garage.

The styrofoam with white backing from Lowes is exactly what I bought. It's great to know you did the exact same thing.

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
quote:
For those who have done it, is the temperature variation that noticeable?

Yes it is very noticeable.

I didn't check before and after but you will definitely notice. My garage faces east so I get full morning to about noon sun on it and the metal door acts like a heat sink. The insulation reduces that heat transfer.

Sorry if this is a little long. But I went through this years ago. The added weight will end up making an impact. Especially on a cheap builder grade setup. How do I know? Heard a loud bang in the garage one night. While I'm standing at the door looking at the springs, without a word the wife hits the opener switch. The opener bent that top panel in about 8 inches before she reacted to me yelling "STOP". Thank you dear. I just bought new springs for Christmas.

Thanks to YT, I replaced the springs. It's definitely something to be focused on and thought out before attempting. But is very doable with caution.

I saved up and had a 2 inch insulated door installed with new tracks and springs. A couple of years later I insulated the attic above the garage(6") and installed radiant barrier throughout the house. The first summer after all that installed, I measured the door temp on a 104 degree day with an infrared thermometer.

At 5pm with a west facing door and the garage being closed all day; the inside surface temp was 102 degrees, IIRC. What was shocking was the outside surface temp off the door was at 147 degrees! Eek

A bonus you may not be looking for is a significant noise reduction during operation. My cheap builder grade door was loud. The current door with a belt drive opener is very quiet.

My recommendation would be to get the heavier springs first. Install the springs and insulation all at once and adjust the springs once. This way you can add as much insulation and support bracing as needed. This is all just guess work without knowing the weight of the door+insulation. You can get close enough by ordering springs for a factory insulated door. Wink

Good luck with your upgrade.
-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
About those springs: Do you realize how dangerous they are?

There are many, many things around the home I'd work on. Those springs are one thing I wouldn't go anywhere near.

I agree. When they break, there is a very loud noise.

OP didn't specify if it is the single overhead wound spring (dangerous!) or the dual stretched-over-top-of rail type (not that dangerous if not under tension)

Single overhead wound spring. And yes, I am aware, I will not even attempt to touch those.

Our spring broke a while back and I had heard so much concern around the web about working with these I almost hired it done, but couldn't agree to the cost, and wait to get it done.

I watched a few videos, made sure to get the proper tools (no pieces of re-bar) and did it.

It's really not that dangerous as long as you pay attention to what you're doing. Always have control of the spring with at least one bar, and make sure you're working to the side so if it slipped, you're out of the "line of fire"

excellent video here

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post