SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long do your light duty truck shocks last ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long do your light duty truck shocks last ? Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My ‘04 Sierra had 156k on it when I gave it to my daughter in 2012, she drove it another five years on the OEM shocks.

My 2012 Wrangler Sport is still on the OEM shocks FWIW at 126k.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
2012 F250.
New shocks about 80k. I also had the front end rebuilt about the same time due to death wobble.
Last “ride improvement” was new cab mount bushings. Apparently the factory bushings are biodegradable. Who knew?

Umm, your SIGforum friends?

Super Duty owners: Have you checked your body mount bushings?

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
I put Fox on my 2016 F350. She rides better. I'm looking at KYB for the Land Cruiser. The reviews are good . Anyone here using them? They are made in the USA supposedly.

I have a set of the TJM Adjustable shocks on my FZJ80 Land Cruiser. They do well, and adjust as advertised.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
2012 F250.
New shocks about 80k. I also had the front end rebuilt about the same time due to death wobble.
Last “ride improvement” was new cab mount bushings. Apparently the factory bushings are biodegradable. Who knew?

Between shocks and now body mounts this thread is going to cost me more than a nice new gun.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2243 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I still have the original shocks on my 2012 F150 with 260,000 miles. It still rides fine. I had to replace the Rancho front shocks on my 2004 F250 at 150,000 miles because the bushings got worn and the washers rusted away.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
2012 F250.

You are absolutely correct! I knew I had read somewhere that those bushings were considered a wear item.
And sure enough, mine were in bad shape with two of them being completely gone.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
I put Fox on my 2016 F350. She rides better. I'm looking at KYB for the Land Cruiser. The reviews are good . Anyone here using them? They are made in the USA supposedly.

I have a set of the TJM Adjustable shocks on my FZJ80 Land Cruiser. They do well, and adjust as advertised.

Thx for the info!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71 with 150,000 miles. I have never replaced my shocks and still don’t see a need. I do need to replace my pitman arm and idler arm and hope to do it myself after surgery recovery and this flaming Texas heat settles down. I am sure if I did replace the shocks I would feel a ride difference, but I am not experiencing anything to make me feel they need replacing.

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I replaced the OEMs on my 2013 F150 at around 90k with Bilsteins; I just like ‘em (now at 100k). A previous truck got Bilsteins at 76k because it felt like it was time. I think my truck rides and handles better with Bilsteins. When I made the decision to keep this truck, rather than trade, I put a fair amount of money in it, and a shock change made sense.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
These shocks lasted pretty well. Razz (not mine)

full video @Just Rolled In

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things go downhill slowly on shocks, so its really a matter of quality of life and there is not a real hard stop short of total failure. I've never had a set that lasted better then 50K, but I run a 3/4 ton and not a light duty truck and use it for max gross towing. But given the costs I can't see running any shock past a 50-75K life.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Ford’s Motorcraft OEM shocks suck and about 50k is what to expect if you are lucky. Mine went at about 46k.

Bilstein a touch more but yes you are due for new. 100k on any shock you are dreaming anymore.

The Bilstein factory shocks on my Z71 lasted a hair over 50k each set.

Bilstein used to reign supreme in the late 90s early 2000s. Their quality especially their OEM spec stuff has gone way down.

I won’t buy their stuff anymore.

I think Eibach is the best in the market for OEM replacement and even mild off-road right now with out breaking the bank.
Though you won’t get 100k out of them either.

If you are one that does moderate to heavy off-roading Falcon/TeraFlex is my choice.

Serious off roading Dobinson or King.

Fox is not a bad option in quality but they tend to be more rough riding across their levels than the ones I have mentioned.

Interesting. I just checked their website and they don't have any shocks for light duty trucks used as OEM stock daily drivers. Maybe I missed it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
How long do your light duty truck shocks last ?
Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time. In other words, they last right up until the worst possible time (e.g. day before a trip).

Wise words indeed. Replace stuff before they near end of life, even if you have x miles, months, or years of possible life left. Thanks for that reminder. You're right, because my shocks are now shot, at a time when money is super tight because I waited too long on other stuff.

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Well anyway I bought two rear Bilstein 4600 OEM standard ride height replacements. The same exact ones that originally wore out. Just to be sure I called Bilstein and asked about the difference between their 4600 and 5100 series, and they said a lot of guys buy their 5100 series for standard unmodified light duty trucks, thinking that the 5100s are better in some way than the 4600 series. Turns out they are exactly the same in terms of materials, design, and damping physics, but the 5100s are adjustable for lifted trucks, and that the 4600s are actually better than the 5100s for unmodified suspensions. Go figure. It pays to research before one pulls the trigger on expensive vehicle maintenance and performance parts.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Shocks and struts have been good for the lifetime of my vehicles. One million miles travelled… never replaced a single shock or strut in the past 20 years. Car drives fine.

I did replace shocks 25 years ago on some old beater 25 year old cars, but they definitely needed new shocks.

Roads are good in Florida so that might be a contributing factor if not needing replacement.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shocks and struts have been good for the lifetime of my vehicles. One million miles travelled… never replaced a single shock or strut in the past 20 years. Car drives fine.
Pretty much my experience as well. I don't believe in replacing them "just because" of mileage, nor do I push them in my work, unless of course they have actually failed.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
My 2003 Silverado got Bilsteins at 30K miles. I think the original shocks were junk the day they were installed. Truck now has almost 60K miles. The damping unloaded, and particularly loaded with the Bilsteins is amazing.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My 2005 Silverado had 140K on it when I traded it in, and still had OEM shocks.

I traded it in on a new 2015 GMC and for some reason it came with Rancho shocks & Bridgestone tires. I don't know if they were dealer installed, or if someone ordered it like that & never picked it up. I didn't ask.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post