SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man chooses wrong in selecting car for car surffing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man chooses wrong in selecting car for car surffing Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I kept waiting to see someone goose the gas pedal.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Clearly hitting the gas pedal is the correct response early in the encounter. You don't know if the guy has a gun and then decides to shoot down through the roof. Would be 100% justified. Gun it, hit the brakes, let his ass fly off the roof, scoop him up.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I guess I need to get out more--I'd never heard of "car surfing"....

flashguy

Me either. I expected to see some dumbass driving a car out into the surf and expecting it to float.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Expert308,

Posts: 7418 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Under current 9th Circuit rulings we would not be able to deploy the Taser, in my opinion.

Okay, question from the non-LEO here. Why would you be disallowed from using the Taser?

Sorry for the delay, forgot to check back here.

Essentially the 9th Circuit has moved the Taser on our “force continuum” or whatever the phrase of the week is. It is now considered, by them (and so by us and all departments under the 9th’s jurisdiction) to be just below lethal force. That places it above things like Pepperball, beanbags, 40mm, and stick time. They believe it has a great risk to cause bodily harm.

Which is silly. It doesn’t. If I’m going to after you with my Taser or my RCB or a real wood baton the argument that you are more likely to get injured or deadified by the Taser is hogwash. A baton swimming properly in quick succession WILL injure near every time. A Taser? Almost never ever ever.

Now, that is not taking account the fellas elevated perch here. If the above were not true I still would defer away from Taser in this case because it is completely debilitating if it connects as intended. Dead weight. A few pay compliance Pepperball may convince this guy relocate voluntarily without the dead fall from the top of the car.

Essentially he was being passively resistive. There was no immediate threat of harm to anybody, he wasn’t fighting. He didn’t appear to have a weapon. Those are factors I need now in order to properly justify a Taser deployment. If we can’t articulate an active threat to somebody we can not use it. We used to use it for passive resistance all the time, but no more.

Posts: 6459 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Yep. Anything that actually helps the police is decried and restricted. The Taser saga is a prime example. Body cameras are another, in its infancy.

The things are damn effective, and prevent injuries. But they worked too well.

I don’t mind fighting one, but before it was verboten to actually be a cop, I tased ten people. Almost every one of them were going to get shot if the taser didn’t work.

This guy though...in today’s age...the solution that comes to mind initially for me is the wrong one. That’s how I do it now...whatever my first two ideas are, I skip down to number three or four, to hopefully not get indicted.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. So, at the risk of thread drift, I'm trying to think through this.

* Taser is higher on the "force continuum" than bean bags and such. Got it.
But Taser is carried on the belt, right?
* All the things you have to use prior to Taser (pepper balls, bean bags, etc) are somewhere else? (As in, in the cruiser and not readily at hand.)

From my comfy desk chair, I see it like this: As you climb the ladder of force escalation, you might be in a spot where you have to go back to the cruiser for more gear? (I'm picturing the negative here -- having to turn your back on the crook while fetching more gear.) I'm hoping I'm wrong here.

As a non-LEO, I'm sure there's a ton I don't know about the rules and restrictions of actually doing the job. Truth is, until thumper's statement on the fellow being "passively resistive," I really hadn't thought about the situation being more of a "get your tail down from there" thing than a "stop beating on that person" thing (as in, nuisance vs harm). In that regard, it seems more reasonable that a thumping from a bean bag might do the job more effectively (and less expensively?) than a Taser deployment.

- - -

Now, risking a second drift, I'll ask the LEO guys this:

In the case of BigMan jumping on the black car... if the driver had, as others have suggested, nailed the accelerator and slung him off, what would be the implications toward that driver? Would he be lined up for some sort of trouble for it? BigMan gets a boo-boo when he hits the pavement and someone decides it's the driver's fault?

Honestly, I think that might be the normal reaction for most drivers -- "get this goon off my car and get the heck out of the area."

Again, maybe I'm wrong. I'm open to other viewpoints, though.

God bless America.

Posts: 13907 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thanks, guys. So, at the risk of thread drift, I'm trying to think through this.

* Taser is higher on the "force continuum" than bean bags and such. Got it.
But Taser is carried on the belt, right?
* All the things you have to use prior to Taser (pepper balls, bean bags, etc) are somewhere else? (As in, in the cruiser and not readily at hand.)

From my comfy desk chair, I see it like this: As you climb the ladder of force escalation, you might be in a spot where you have to go back to the cruiser for more gear? (I'm picturing the negative here -- having to turn your back on the crook while fetching more gear.) I'm hoping I'm wrong here.

As a non-LEO, I'm sure there's a ton I don't know about the rules and restrictions of actually doing the job. Truth is, until thumper's statement on the fellow being "passively resistive," I really hadn't thought about the situation being more of a "get your tail down from there" thing than a "stop beating on that person" thing (as in, nuisance vs harm). In that regard, it seems more reasonable that a thumping from a bean bag might do the job more effectively (and less expensively?) than a Taser deployment.

- - -

Now, risking a second drift, I'll ask the LEO guys this:

In the case of BigMan jumping on the black car... if the driver had, as others have suggested, nailed the accelerator and slung him off, what would be the implications toward that driver? Would he be lined up for some sort of trouble for it? BigMan gets a boo-boo when he hits the pavement and someone decides it's the driver's fault?

Honestly, I think that might be the normal reaction for most drivers -- "get this goon off my car and get the heck out of the area."

Again, maybe I'm wrong. I'm open to other viewpoints, though.

Taser is carried on the belt, true. And there will be instances where you gotta roll with what you got. This wasn’t one of them. While I’m not saying I would necessarily disengage from contact with the fella, I would have someone disengage if there are multiple officers present OR just use the radio and have whoever is showing up next bring the right tool. Time wasn’t a huge factor in the video I watched.

As far as your question regarding the black car potentially hitting the accelator I’ll mostky leave that to a street cop as I’m a jail cop. While we share some aspects of the job with my street brothers we don’t share just as much, and I know enough to know what areas of the pool to stay out of.

That being said, my gut reaction would be to gas pedal my way out of dodge as something is attacking me. *shrug*

Posts: 6459 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
This agency shows another way. Lol.

https://www.facebook.com/10000...ts/1892677054126640/

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd like to see the video - but not enough to join fuckbook

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10859 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's spreading to the west coast! Same thing just happened in Fresno:

https://abc7ny.com/video-shows...-police-car/4171667/

Posts: 16019 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

I'd like to see the video - but not enough to join fuckbook

Sigmund has you covered in the post directly above this one. Same video.

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
The crowd cheered as they took the turd down. When the judge lets him go with a slap to his wrist, the populace will be robbed of justice. The video would have really made my day if the turd had accidentally landed on his head on the pavement.

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10859 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Such a rush to violence with you guys. I think the NYPD did a great job here, he was clearly more of a nuisance than a threat. Yes, he did damage that mans Mercedes however, the cops very quickly had him surrounded after that. It then became a waiting game with just another stupid asshole, a waiting game the cops have the time to win.

Posts: 8183 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

Posts: 20602 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sigmund has you covered in the post directly above this one. Same video.

I have a Facebook account, but this is what I get from that FB link:

"Sorry, this content isn't available right now"

Posts: 16019 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Yeah, this is the problem now-a-days the cops wanna try and be nice to people when what they need is an old school ass kicking. ( I know this is driven by supervisors and policy)

I'm sure you know why supervisors and policy say don't do that.
Because it leads to out of control assholes doing things like what happened in the Abner Louima case.
He ended up spending 2 months in the hospital with 3 surgeries to repair his colon and bladder and the cop ended up with a 30 yr prison sentence.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3888 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post