SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Mass Shootings Aren’t About Guns, They’re About Our Culture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mass Shootings Aren’t About Guns, They’re About Our Culture Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
D.W. Wilber
February 22, 2018

The Florida school shooting, Las Vegas, Aurora, and the others that have occurred in recent years have fired up the gun control debate in America to white-hot. Pitting gun owners and the NRA once more against Democrats, liberals, and the Hollywood loons whose ultimate goal is a disarmed America.

And for all their denials and lies make no mistake about it, the anti-gun coalition’s aim is to rid the country of guns come hell or high water. Through new laws and regulations, outright bans, and ultimately the confiscation of every privately owned firearm in America.

For Democrats the knee-jerk reaction to any tragedy is to immediately look for a way to further restrict the rights of Americans. Gun violence is an easy target – no pun intended - since it tugs at Americans’ emotions when they see news coverage of people running for cover from a building after an incident.

Nowadays young people are eating laundry detergent pods apparently in some kind of twisted challenge or contest. The Democrats’ answer is to suggest forcing the manufacturer to spend millions of dollars to make their product less visually appealing so youths won’t be tempted to eat them. Instead of smacking the kids upside the head and saying “Hey dummy, you’re eating laundry detergent for crying out loud! Straighten up"!

For Democrats and liberals it is far easier to put the blame on an inanimate object like a gun or a box of soap capsules, than to admit that the root cause of gun violence and stupidity in America is the immoral society that they have worked hard to create for at least the last six decades.

There once was a time when no one took offense to a Nativity Scene on the courthouse lawn, or in front of city hall. And the Ten Commandments hung prominently inside most classrooms in American schools. And whether it was true or not children were taught that George Washington never told a lie. Something admirable for them to aspire to, even if it was only folklore. Those days are long gone, replaced with an extreme progressive and revisionist curriculum.

Instead of teaching children about the history of America, the good as well as the bad, and of the importance of honesty and integrity, for decades now children have been taught that our founding fathers were nothing but lousy slave owners.

And those who fought courageously in battle after battle for the Confederacy during the War of the Rebellion are now maligned as fighting solely for the institution of slavery, when the fact of the matter is that few truly fought to maintain that blight on America’s past. Most fought because their loyalties were with their particular state, and their state was attacked.

There are many progressives now who wish to rewrite America’s history by removing statues of those same Confederate soldiers, apparently believing in some way that by removing the marble and bronze edifices they will somehow remove the Civil War and slavery from the nation’s history and memory.

For decades now our school children have been subjected to sexual indoctrination by liberal Democrats who cater to the LBGTQ community. (It seems a new letter is added almost monthly).

School children are now taught that what was once considered immoral is now acceptable, and traditional family values are “hate”.

When they should be reading books like “Green Eggs and Ham” they are having forced upon them books like “Heather Has Two Mommies”.

Is it a wonder that as they grow children are becoming more and more emotionally withdrawn and starting to exist only in a culture of video games, smart phones, and countless Hollywood explosion and gun violence extravaganzas?

Why are we surprised that some choose to act out the fantasy world they’ve been subjected to by modern culture. Not to mention having absent parents, progressive schools, and the liberal Democrats ?

Yes gun violence exists in America, but it’s not because of some inanimate object jumping up and killing innocent people. It exists because of people who are willing to gun down their fellow man without feeling any remorse, or even acknowledging responsibility for the carnage they inflict.

They’ve been ‘numbed’ inside. Heartless, cold, and calculating killers. The product of our progressive liberal education system, and the Democrat politicians who have created it.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
AS long as the leftist control education, our society will be crippled.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Mass Shootings Aren’t About Guns, They’re About Our Culture

I have been avoiding this shooting like the plague as far as "news" coverage, but the this quote is absolutely spot on.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How true how true!! As an educator, I see the breakdown of the family units and the lack of respect for self and others in the students. I sadly say that our society is very close to collapsing. God help us.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The Mrs and I just had a conversation along these lines right before I read this article. Excellent points.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Many of us ahhh, more mature types have related how in our school days, long ago and far away, taking a gun to school, keeping one on the rack of your pick up truck or in the glove box of an unlocked car, was commonplace, and almost all of us with that experience report no problems, no shootings, no misbehavior, no dangers.

We also nearly uniformly describe a culture, a society which almost seems like Happy Days now, but it was real then, pretty much, although not perfect like on TV, and often not as funny.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Think back. When did the culture change? When was the moment? Was it a moment or a flowing tide?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Back then, many of us were required to wear a belt, get regular haircuts, tuck our shirttails in, encouraged to be Cub and Boy Scouts, avoid rough language, in public at least, expected to tell as close to the truth as circumstances permitted, go to church whether we liked it or not, turn in assigned schoolwork, be on time, or preferably a bit early, respect one’s elders, and practice imitating an educated responsible good citizen for the day when you might be one.

When this changed, I can’t say, but the culture was noticeably different in 1966 than it was in 1959 and has gotten steadily worse from there.

My granddad, born in 1900, a regular churchgoer, family man and manager at Hughes Tool, blamed it on Elvis.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I believe the moment was in 1973. That is when we turned away and little by little lost God's righteous influence on our behalf as a nation. Watch what has happened since.

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I believe the moment was in 1973.

Roe wasn't the beginning, IMO, but it sure kicked it into gear and it's been going like crazy since.
The free-fall beginning during the Clinton administration.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I believe the moment was in 1973.

Roe wasn't the beginning, IMO, but it sure kicked it into gear and it's been going like crazy since.
The free-fall beginning during the Clinton administration.

I agree. The culture of the nation was iffy at best about the value of others' liberty since the beginning. I think the test of the great depression yielded a significant portion of the population willing to trade liberty for security even if the by product was lowered moral codes in the guise of different moral codes. 'Still moral, but differently so' The consequences of those new morals created further consequences requiring further compromises of true morality. The drift from original principles was slow but sure with occasional touch-backs. Then came the counter culture of the late 50's and 60's which yielded a selfish self centered generation. That selfishness yielded a great turning away from traditional morality to a new morality requiring only a rationalization to codify. Then came 1973. Selfishness was codified. A new sacrament established. I think that was the tipping point morally. From there we have been in decline precipitously.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
AS long as the leftist control education, our society will be crippled.

About sums it up.

Q

Posts: 26396 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What really irks me about all this is a root causes of these shootings is all the Media Coverage. People desiring attention from the masses have found the ideal platform, the Mass Shooting. How about we limit the coverage to 12 hours total and no more. Woiuldn't be long before these Look at Me psychos searched for another means of getting attention. How about this, when someone does a spectacular face plant off the Golden Gate bridge how about we do weeks and weeks of coverage on this and contemplate removing the bridge.

Another thing that really frosts me, in part due to a Schizophrenic family member, is the the complete lack of Mental Health Care in this country. Simple truth is that most Mass Shootings are done by individuals with either Bipolar disorders, those pretty high on the Obsessive/compulsive spectrum, or some in the earlier stages of Schizophrenia. Quite simply with these typs of people "treat them and Street them just doesn't work. Unfortunately all those liberals concerned about permanently housing those with mental health issues did away with the sanitariums so now they are either walking the streets or in prison. And either way we all pay the price for that. Yeah, I said it, if someone isn't sane and rational 24/7 then they need to be under treatment until they are sane and rational 24/7 100% of the time. Which can mean locking them up in a mental health facility.

Finally I have to ask why that deputy who did NOTHING except listen to shots being fired isn't facing charges for Non Performance of his duties.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post