SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today was a good day...let’s all take pleasure in the little things in life...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today was a good day...let’s all take pleasure in the little things in life... Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I had a rough week last week. Passing of my last remaining grandparent, and the ensuing National Lampoon journey alone with my two kids to Florida and back. She was a great woman, touched many lives. It was a wonderful service, and an opportunity to make memories with distant family. But that’s not the point of this post...

I had dreaded today. Early wake up to go teach. After working the street til 3am all weekend. But something happened today that I’ve been dreaming of since I was 12 or 13:

I drove my Jeep with the top down, and the doors off. That may not sound like much, but it’s an image I’ve had in my head for years.

But that was just the start—

I got to the academy 40 minutes before class and my awesome assistant instructors already had everything set up and all the paperwork prepped.

Then I found out every one of the rookies that took the state test Friday passed my section I taught them, the section with the most questions on the 300 question test.

Soon after, I found out one of my coworkers was released from the hospital today after getting hit by a car while on-duty riding a motorcycle Friday.

And I read about the Thailand soccer team kids continuing to be rescued.

Then I got to have a rare date with my wonderful wife, racing go-carts together. We returned home and grilled some massive Costco steaks.

Tomorrow I’ll pick up my kids from my ex wife for the next three weeks, two amazing and sweet, innocent minions. I received several compliments during our trip last week on their behavior, and I was very proud. They truly could not have been any better.

And next Friday my 10 year old and I will embark on an adventure together as a surprise for him. Our first significant trip together with just the two of us.

Perspective...riding in my Jeep this afternoon I realized how good I really have it, despite the challenges over the last several years, the divorce and financial turmoil...absolute ruin...dark days, changing jobs, moving, etc. Life is better now than I’ve ever known it.

I give thanks to several here, as well, who have shown me immense kindness through those times. One sentence cannot express the gratitude I have for their help.

So today take a few minutes and think about the little things that really mean a lot. Share some of them if you will. We get caught up in everything often, and forget to smell the roses.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, brother, the stars align and life mimics heaven for a while. It is gratifying to read about your experience. I think you've earned it

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Any day you don't need an AK47, right? Razz

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think that for me, having gone through some pretty bad times recently has given me the ability to recognize and be grateful for the good things no matter how minor. It may be part of the perspective gained from my advancing years.

Glad to hear things are going well for you.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Be thankful in all circumstances...”

1 Thessalonians 5:18

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
A number of years ago I was driving between jobs and feeling sorry for myself and made the internal comment that my life was bad and it couldn't get any worse....

A voice (mine or God's, I don't know) came out of nowhere an said, " Get real Blume, you could be in some third world prison eating bugs and sharing a bunk with a guy named Raul."

I've never really thought my life was 'bad' since.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a mantra that I direct to God frequently, "thank you for my wife, thank you for life". It's only a coincidence that it rhymes. I thank Him for my parents and by extension my medical career, made possible by their sacrifices. I thank Him for allowing me to live long enough to know my grandchildren and them to know me. Three of my four grandparents were deceased before I was born. When I say, "Why me, Lord?", it is in appreciation, not despair.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I say it all the time. "I woke up this morning"...it's already a great day.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5046 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Glad that things are going well for you!

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I am glad you made it back from the brink, congratulations!

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HERITAGE
posted Hide Post
Perspective... Sounds like you yours is healthy and you are enjoying some well earned rewards after the dark days of divorce. Sorry for the loss of your grandmother, but to see the positive impact that a grandparent makes on so many when they leave us, there is victory there and an example for us all. Nice work with the new recruits. It must be extremely rewarding to pass on the torch of knowledge to those that follow. Nice work with your kids too. I hope you continue to be blessed and continue to be a blessing to those around you.

Posts: 328 | Location: MI | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Your post made me smile Smile

Posts: 3731 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

I woke up with a crappy attitude and needed to get my head straightened out and appreciate the day.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Absatutely, A very well written reminder. Good on you at all levels. Keep rolling. Enjoy your trip with Mini Chongo.

And yes, much to be thankful for.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Good deal buddy! Glad your are on an upswing.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got 100% right on todays on line Jeopardy game.

and that pretty much about it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54659 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Ah, your post makes me miss my Jeep. Sounds like a pretty good day. I have to ask. Who won the go-cart race?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
What a perfect opportunity to be humble.

Good on ya for sharing.

More and more I appreciate my family and friends, because the rest is just stuff.

Cheers~

Posts: 906 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thank you Chongo..I needed to be reminded of what is good in my life.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6327 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
“Be thankful in all circumstances...”

1 Thessalonians 5:18

Too true

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6999 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post