SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Counter Top Ice Maker Maintenance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Counter Top Ice Maker Maintenance Login/Join 
posted
I've had a few counter top ice makers over the years. Different brand names like Igloo, Magic Chef, Emerson, etc. they are all made in China and just branded with some familiar name. After a while, like a year or so, they degrade in performance taking longer to make ice and making poorer quality ice.

So I took the thing apart and found the fins totally packed with dust. I used an old tooth brush to gently clean the coils, then blew it out with my compressor. I put the thing back together and damn, it makes ice like it was new. Good solid cubes and very quick.

Just a heads up, if yours is going downhill, you might try the same thing.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I don't have a counter top ice maker but your counsel about dust is spot on for any number of appliances, electronics, and gizmos! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started up my AC this year, working, but poorly. Took out the foam filter and low and behold, 1/8th inch of dust and crap. Rinsed it and working like a champ. Did the same to the one upstairs, both 21 year old Comfort-Aires.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The dust buildup acts like an insulation layer and cuts off the airflow the coils need, once those are clean again the compressor can work like it wants to again.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should add "check your filters" to the monthly pet meds thread! Big Grin

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd interested in hearing about great experiance with counter top ice makers.

My smallish 18 cu.ft top freezer has no space for an ice maker.
And our water here is deplorable
Even with a filter.

Who has great words about which brands?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned in my initial post, they are all made in China and simply have a different brand sticker on them. I have two, a Magic Chef and an Igloo. They work great but are a bit noisy. Keep the coils clean and they will last a long time.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post